Eat Eat Eat

anonymous

Ok some of us here are trying to gain weight. I am one for the extra pounds. I am at 5'8'' and weigh about 136. There is a point where the weight was not coming on so much and I even dropped some. When I saw my doctor this past week, I asked her to write on a prescription pad EAT EAT EAT and told her I was going to put this on my fridge with magnets. Well I did just that and I gained back all my weight in two days and I am chowing it down big time. This was very effective for me. whatever works
Risa

anonymous

Ok some of us here are trying to gain weight. I am one for the extra pounds. I am at 5'8'' and weigh about 136. There is a point where the weight was not coming on so much and I even dropped some. When I saw my doctor this past week, I asked her to write on a prescription pad EAT EAT EAT and told her I was going to put this on my fridge with magnets. Well I did just that and I gained back all my weight in two days and I am chowing it down big time. This was very effective for me. whatever works
Risa

karon72

I wish that would work for my daughter...maybe when she can read...LOL! That is what we are struggling with the most is trying to put on pounds. She finally was on the growth chart, then we all got sick. She is usually a good eater, but is starting to get picky. I hope it will get easier when she understands that she has to eat more.

karon72

I wish that would work for my daughter...maybe when she can read...LOL! That is what we are struggling with the most is trying to put on pounds. She finally was on the growth chart, then we all got sick. She is usually a good eater, but is starting to get picky. I hope it will get easier when she understands that she has to eat more.

anonymous

Perhaps you can reward her with her favorite snack after she eats her meals? Tell her she has some reward food coming if she eats all her food on her plate. Sometimes it is ok to take a break from eating and what I mean by that, if she is eating dinner with the family and she cannot finish her food then ten minutes later she can. Try to encourage her to eat what she can and leave over what she cannot eat until she is able to finish it. I would and sometimes still do this. If I cannot finish my dinner, I put this away until later on. It is always good to have left overs. hope this helps
Risa

anonymous

Perhaps you can reward her with her favorite snack after she eats her meals? Tell her she has some reward food coming if she eats all her food on her plate. Sometimes it is ok to take a break from eating and what I mean by that, if she is eating dinner with the family and she cannot finish her food then ten minutes later she can. Try to encourage her to eat what she can and leave over what she cannot eat until she is able to finish it. I would and sometimes still do this. If I cannot finish my dinner, I put this away until later on. It is always good to have left overs. hope this helps
Risa

karon72

We have tried the reward system, but she want fruit snacks...too bad it is not peanut butter or something with more calories. We have tried not to fill her plate up, so it doesn't look so big & that has helped a little. She has finally started eating more butter. She wants it on top of all of her food, so I think she will start gaining soon. Have you noticed that you feel full sooner than others w/o cf? Also, how long do your enzymes last? Thanks!

karon72

We have tried the reward system, but she want fruit snacks...too bad it is not peanut butter or something with more calories. We have tried not to fill her plate up, so it doesn't look so big & that has helped a little. She has finally started eating more butter. She wants it on top of all of her food, so I think she will start gaining soon. Have you noticed that you feel full sooner than others w/o cf? Also, how long do your enzymes last? Thanks!

EnergyGal

Lately, since I am trying to gain weight I do feel sort of full at times. I eat at all times of the day. I love to snack but definitely eat all my meals. I do not know what you mean about the enzymes. I take these enzymes called Azeopangeon from Metagenics. They are not a pharmacy brand. I have tried all the CF enzymes and after awhile I end of switching. For some strange reason a bottle of enzymes last me a little over a week. Since I snack, I take less enzymes which each snack. I will take a half of a pill with snacks and one pill with meals. I do not want to overdo it as I eat so many times per day.

Exercise has helped me to increase my appetite.

love
Risa

EnergyGal

Lately, since I am trying to gain weight I do feel sort of full at times. I eat at all times of the day. I love to snack but definitely eat all my meals. I do not know what you mean about the enzymes. I take these enzymes called Azeopangeon from Metagenics. They are not a pharmacy brand. I have tried all the CF enzymes and after awhile I end of switching. For some strange reason a bottle of enzymes last me a little over a week. Since I snack, I take less enzymes which each snack. I will take a half of a pill with snacks and one pill with meals. I do not want to overdo it as I eat so many times per day.

Exercise has helped me to increase my appetite.

love
Risa

65rosessamurai

Risa,
Could you give a little info on the enzymes you are taking, and let me know if they are available via internet purchasing?? I am not able to get CF enzymes, and had some success with enzymes containing the three main ingridients for enzyme contents, Lipase, Protease, and one more...anyway, till looking for the right enzyme, despite my digestion isn't too bad. (In fact, I gained about 20 lbs. in a year, I'll give you guys some!!)
What SeanDavis said in one spool is most likely true, and I can add to it, Cola WILL add the calories (Though you have to have a strong enough system for the carbonization), but adding a few bags of Pretzels to that will increase more!! I found fruit juices (apple juice, or other juices low in citric acid is good--Orange juice may contain too much acid for some people) to go well with pretzels, too!!
To all the CF'rs (and their mommies):
What I don't understand (still) is why the need to add butter or oils to a CFr's diet? Butter is one of the major oils that are hard to break down in the pancrease (or the intestines, for that matter). Peanut Butter, with it's high content of protein, is a little better. My understanding, based on the label cautions, and doctor's cautions; was that animal fats, particularly ham, was also a hard-to-digest food. This may sound a bit gross, but if the stools have too much oil in them, or the CF'r has too many stomach aches (that's based on personal experience), that means the digestive system is not absorbing the fats, and means only two things, cut down on those fats, and increase the enzymes, or just cut down on the fats.
I really hope this potentially trivial info can be helpful (or replied).

65rosessamurai

Risa,
Could you give a little info on the enzymes you are taking, and let me know if they are available via internet purchasing?? I am not able to get CF enzymes, and had some success with enzymes containing the three main ingridients for enzyme contents, Lipase, Protease, and one more...anyway, till looking for the right enzyme, despite my digestion isn't too bad. (In fact, I gained about 20 lbs. in a year, I'll give you guys some!!)
What SeanDavis said in one spool is most likely true, and I can add to it, Cola WILL add the calories (Though you have to have a strong enough system for the carbonization), but adding a few bags of Pretzels to that will increase more!! I found fruit juices (apple juice, or other juices low in citric acid is good--Orange juice may contain too much acid for some people) to go well with pretzels, too!!
To all the CF'rs (and their mommies):
What I don't understand (still) is why the need to add butter or oils to a CFr's diet? Butter is one of the major oils that are hard to break down in the pancrease (or the intestines, for that matter). Peanut Butter, with it's high content of protein, is a little better. My understanding, based on the label cautions, and doctor's cautions; was that animal fats, particularly ham, was also a hard-to-digest food. This may sound a bit gross, but if the stools have too much oil in them, or the CF'r has too many stomach aches (that's based on personal experience), that means the digestive system is not absorbing the fats, and means only two things, cut down on those fats, and increase the enzymes, or just cut down on the fats.
I really hope this potentially trivial info can be helpful (or replied).

kybert

<blockquote>Quote<br><hr>What I don't understand (still) is why the need to add butter or oils to a CFr's diet?<hr></blockquote>

ditto with you on that. ive never agreed with the super duper high fat diets doctors and dietitians recommend. i can remember a long time ago a dietitan giving me a book called 'fatty and fabulous foods'. i tried one recipe and didnt get off the toilet for days even though i increased my enzymes. so never again! i believe we should try and gain weight from good fats and other sources and only have fatty sugary food occasionally like everyone else. although the bad fats put on weight fast for most people, it just screws up their intestines in the process and makes them feel tired and sluggish. for some, the high fat foods dont even put on weight effectively, yet they still persist to eat as much fat as possible thinking it will work because thats all they have known, and then they wonder why they are having diarrhea all the time despite taking tonnes of enzymes. another bad thing about cf diets, the weight gain from saturated fats and sugar goes straight to your stomach!

kybert

<blockquote>Quote<br><hr>What I don't understand (still) is why the need to add butter or oils to a CFr's diet?<hr></blockquote>

ditto with you on that. ive never agreed with the super duper high fat diets doctors and dietitians recommend. i can remember a long time ago a dietitan giving me a book called 'fatty and fabulous foods'. i tried one recipe and didnt get off the toilet for days even though i increased my enzymes. so never again! i believe we should try and gain weight from good fats and other sources and only have fatty sugary food occasionally like everyone else. although the bad fats put on weight fast for most people, it just screws up their intestines in the process and makes them feel tired and sluggish. for some, the high fat foods dont even put on weight effectively, yet they still persist to eat as much fat as possible thinking it will work because thats all they have known, and then they wonder why they are having diarrhea all the time despite taking tonnes of enzymes. another bad thing about cf diets, the weight gain from saturated fats and sugar goes straight to your stomach!

EnergyGal

Hi Fred

I wrote about the enzymes I take a month ago. Here is the link <a target=new class=ftalternatingbarlinklarge href="http://forums.cysticfibrosis.com/messageview.cfm?catid=5&threadid=5682&FTVAR_MSGDBTABLE=">Text</a>

Hope this is not too expensive to ship. This link that I recommend discounts about twenty percent and if you order over seventy five they do not charge shipping but I do not know how this applys overseas.

With these pills you can break them easily. They sell single strength too but buy the double strength because I save money and I can take half with a snack or a whole with a meal.

good luck
Risa

EnergyGal

Hi Fred

I wrote about the enzymes I take a month ago. Here is the link <a target=new class=ftalternatingbarlinklarge href="http://forums.cysticfibrosis.com/messageview.cfm?catid=5&threadid=5682&FTVAR_MSGDBTABLE=">Text</a>

Hope this is not too expensive to ship. This link that I recommend discounts about twenty percent and if you order over seventy five they do not charge shipping but I do not know how this applys overseas.

With these pills you can break them easily. They sell single strength too but buy the double strength because I save money and I can take half with a snack or a whole with a meal.

good luck
Risa

65rosessamurai

At least I'm not the only one who thinks that, Kylie! You must've had the same experiences as me with the results to eating foods too fatty!!
I'm curious whom else is on the same "waves" as us???
As for the fatty foods (it's impossible to avoid all fats!), I found lean and baked (or broasted) chicken to be the easiest to digest (No more KFC for me!), and for cooking, Canola oil.
Risa, thanks for the info...however, after looking at the link, and seeing the "licensed health practicioner", it means I have to dig a little further to find out if I can get it here from my doctor, or if there's a way for my sister (She's a licensed Physician Assistant) to obtain the enzymes for me (but unlikely with no support from medical insurance). I'm still relying on my wife to find enzymes on the net, and she actually got some good stuff once, but we wanted to try a few before pin-pointing out the best one. Fortunately, as long as I keep the "hard to digest foods" out of my system, my digestive system does fairly well. The wife gives me a ton of vitamins, etc., too!

65rosessamurai

At least I'm not the only one who thinks that, Kylie! You must've had the same experiences as me with the results to eating foods too fatty!!
I'm curious whom else is on the same "waves" as us???
As for the fatty foods (it's impossible to avoid all fats!), I found lean and baked (or broasted) chicken to be the easiest to digest (No more KFC for me!), and for cooking, Canola oil.
Risa, thanks for the info...however, after looking at the link, and seeing the "licensed health practicioner", it means I have to dig a little further to find out if I can get it here from my doctor, or if there's a way for my sister (She's a licensed Physician Assistant) to obtain the enzymes for me (but unlikely with no support from medical insurance). I'm still relying on my wife to find enzymes on the net, and she actually got some good stuff once, but we wanted to try a few before pin-pointing out the best one. Fortunately, as long as I keep the "hard to digest foods" out of my system, my digestive system does fairly well. The wife gives me a ton of vitamins, etc., too!

anonymous

I'll try to answer the "high fat diet" according to what our doctor told us. They used to tell CFers to eat a low fat diet because that made their stools better. But with that, few of the patients ever really gained weight (well, enough weight). They just had alot of skinny CFers with more normal stool! Now they push the fat. Although the stool sometimes isn't as "normal" with the excess fat, there is a better chance that atleast some of it will be processed. I don't know if I agree with either. It always seems things get pushed to one extreme or the other, when we should be looking for a happy medium.

anonymous

I'll try to answer the "high fat diet" according to what our doctor told us. They used to tell CFers to eat a low fat diet because that made their stools better. But with that, few of the patients ever really gained weight (well, enough weight). They just had alot of skinny CFers with more normal stool! Now they push the fat. Although the stool sometimes isn't as "normal" with the excess fat, there is a better chance that atleast some of it will be processed. I don't know if I agree with either. It always seems things get pushed to one extreme or the other, when we should be looking for a happy medium.