Eflow-Cayston-almost 4 year old?

amber682

Our CF center is switching my 7 YO son from Tobi to Cayston. The paperwork takes some times so we haven't received anything yet. They would like me to try it with my almost 4 YO DD for a dose or two and see how she does, she also cultures PA and has a lot fo toruble with TOBI. It gives her a nasty cough, bloody noses, etc every time. It really irritates her. They don't know if she'll be able to do it since it's a mouthpiece and not a mask. But I'm hoping she'll be ok aince it's only 3-5 minutes. Anyone have a little one using an e-flow? I thought maybe I could have her use the nose clips they use when doing PFT's to stop her from breathing out of her nose

chelsie882003

Cayston i think is a way better treatment then Tobi, Tobi takes like 30mins to do. Cayston has a different machine and it only takes 1min to do. You are on for a month then off a month just like Tobi. I have been on cayston for about 3yrs now. i love it. Cayston does make me cough, but that is a good thing. But it has never given me a bloody nose or anything just a cough. I'm sorry im not much help, Because im a DDF508 CFRD(Cystic Fibrosis Related Diabetes) I dont have kids. So i cant help u there. just letting you know what cayston does to me. once again im sorry

Chelsie

~24yrs Old, DDF508 with Diabetes

amber682

Don't be sorry :) I am excited to try it because the three daily doses of Cayston takes less time than 1 TOBI treatment, and may not be so harsh on her. I'm wondering if I 3.5 year old would be able to do a neb without a mask correctly. I guess we will see :)

Aboveallislove

Super Moderator
Not sure of the answer to your question but our almost 3.5 year old started breathing in the nebulized meds through the mask when I asked him to take a deep breath. And he'll take breaths and blow out. Not sure how the mouthpiece works but would assume it's breathing in through that, so hopefully it will be doable.

R

RytheStunner

You can get the exact same technology (eFlow) to nebulize Tobramycin and it only takes a few minutes. I wouldn't use the time as a deciding factor, but it's certainly convenient.

Starting cayston for my 5 year old as soon as insurance approves it. She started doing nebs with a mouthpiece at 4 1/2. One thing that worked well was counting every breath... So every time I'd say a number she'd take a deap breath and then wait until I said the next number. Lots of counting if you are doing 30 min of tobi, but I think it will work for cayston.

Ry- Tobi in a eflow? Isn't that super harsh? Our clinic has always recommended pari.

Our plan is to alternate tobi/cayston, so she'll alway be on one of them. I think I'll ask them about using the eflow for tobi. I'll tell you all what they say and how it goes.

amber682

Ry- they want us to switch because DS pft's dropped 15-20%, and the Tobi really irritates DD. But thanks for the info!

I guess we'll try counting each breath. She has to try not to breathe through her nose, right? I'll let you know how it goes.

BTW- sorry for all the typos in my TP, I just reread it and WOW!