Elastase Test--- with or without enzymes??

B

ByGrace

My son's GI ordered his first fecal elastase 1 test today. He has been on enzymes for a few years as an "experiment" to see if they would help his constipation & promote weight gain, but he's never been given a dx of either PS or PI. The GI said that we should stop the enzymes for about a week before the test so the results will be accurate. From what I've read online the enzymes won't affect the test, but I would hope that the Dr. knows what she's talking about. What have you done before collecting a sample? Should I stop giving him enzymes? Thanks!

B

ByGrace

Thank you! He's been without them for just over a day now and we've already seen a change in him. I don't think I want to leave him like this for a week.

ethan508

If I miss a dose after a serious meal I'm in major discomfort and lose several hours of time in the bathroom. If it was a week I'm not sure I'd survive. At the very least it would change my eating habit significantly enough that any testing wouldn't be indicative of normal. I'd call the doctor (or talk with a second) and explain that he can't function a week without enzymes and you need a better answer.