Ellipticals vs running ... Question about swimming

Enzo2311

I hate running cause it hurts my knees. Are ellipticals just as good for the lungs as running? How do you know if you're pushing yourself too much or too little?

So swimming is a staple for my cf Drs. But I hate swimming "competitively" how should you swim to get the lung benefits?

kosdancer

First of all, any exercise is going to have some benefit!
That being said I do think some forms are better than others. If running hurts your knees and you are sure that you have good shoes and good form, then try experimenting with treadmill vs outside on sidewalk vs outside on dirt (like trails) - you may find that dirt especially doesn't bother them as much. But if running really causes you pain then I wouldn't do it. Elliptical is definitely easier on the knees!
For me personally I find that whatever makes my lungs work hard and/or involves physical pounding (like running) is most effective. But like you my knees aren't great, so I no longer run. I swim - definitely not competitively! I like seeing how many strokes I can go before taking a breath and find that that works out my lungs pretty well. I also do some weight training, dance and horseback riding. I think the most important thing is to find something you can stick with and don't hate!

ethan508

As with any exercise, start slow and work your way up. I started swimming more this summer. Just buy a pool pass and do lap swims. To start slow, try the breast-stroke. When you get too tired, flip to your back and do elementary back stroke. Being on your back help you catch your breath, and the stroke is slow enough the effort is more like a walk. One you can breaststroke several laps, start adding laps with a slow freestyle stroke (google around if you need help learning the different strokes). Then as fitness increases, increase the pace and distance of your freestyle and decrease the distance and frequency of your resting strokes. Eventually I got up to the point of doing 200m with a moderate freestyle, follow by a 25m breaststroke. I'd do a total of 1200m (about 45 minutes) and feel like I got a good cardio workout. I swim in the shallow-is (5') side of the pool, so if I have a coughing fit I can stop, stand, and clear out, before continuing on.

The elliptical machine can be used for cardio workout too, but I've never like the motion. You could also consider spinning/cycling or a rowing machine. Again just start slow/moderate and work your way up. It also helps me to do treatments (or at least a MDI of albuterol) before a workout, and then to watch my heartrate. If I get much above 160 bpm, I start to gas out (YMMV), and end up feeling worse after my workout.

jbrandyn

I swam for years and am trying to get back into it. It was wonderful. Way more comfortable than other aerobics. The only problem I had was with APBA getting exacerbated because the warm & moist conditions in a pool house have a high risk of having mold, so you should exercise due diligence in finding a pool with a reputation for being clean. That said it was the best my health has been in. If you can find a saltwater pool they seem to be more tolerable than chlorine or bromine pools.