Emily has stopped eating/ Miralax questions

hmw

Emily has been eating very little since Monday, most days probably the combined total of about one meal for the entire day. She usually eats like a horse so this is VERY unusual for her.

Monday I wasn't worried because she was at grandma's all weekend and I figured she probably didn't get all the enzymes she should have and maybe just had some residual stomachaches from this. Then Tues & Wed it was worse and she was complaining of stomachaches with it so I thought it was a bug. But she never threw up, had a fever or diarrhea or any other obvious signs to suggest a virus. She went back to school Thu but was sent home both Thu and Fri because of complaining a couple times each day of stomach pain, refusing to eat more than a few bites at both snack & lunch and 'looking very unwell when trying to eat.'

Her main issue is not being hungry, getting 'full' after only a few bites or after a few ounces of her scandishake, and complaining of stomachache in the general vicinity of her bellybutton (although this varies a little.) When she does poop (which has been at least some daily) it is NOT hard or chunky like a 'typical' constipated poop looks.

Her cf dr asked a lot of questions on Friday and basically it came down to wanting to clean her out with Miralax. We've never used this before- what should we expect? Since her stools have not been hard to begin with & this is a stool softener, is this going to result in a lot of diarrhea or major urgency? I am worried about accidents at school tomorrow.

What else should I know about this?

hmw

Emily has been eating very little since Monday, most days probably the combined total of about one meal for the entire day. She usually eats like a horse so this is VERY unusual for her.

Monday I wasn't worried because she was at grandma's all weekend and I figured she probably didn't get all the enzymes she should have and maybe just had some residual stomachaches from this. Then Tues & Wed it was worse and she was complaining of stomachaches with it so I thought it was a bug. But she never threw up, had a fever or diarrhea or any other obvious signs to suggest a virus. She went back to school Thu but was sent home both Thu and Fri because of complaining a couple times each day of stomach pain, refusing to eat more than a few bites at both snack & lunch and 'looking very unwell when trying to eat.'

Her main issue is not being hungry, getting 'full' after only a few bites or after a few ounces of her scandishake, and complaining of stomachache in the general vicinity of her bellybutton (although this varies a little.) When she does poop (which has been at least some daily) it is NOT hard or chunky like a 'typical' constipated poop looks.

Her cf dr asked a lot of questions on Friday and basically it came down to wanting to clean her out with Miralax. We've never used this before- what should we expect? Since her stools have not been hard to begin with & this is a stool softener, is this going to result in a lot of diarrhea or major urgency? I am worried about accidents at school tomorrow.

hmw

hmw

hmw

<br />
<br />Monday I wasn't worried because she was at grandma's all weekend and I figured she probably didn't get all the enzymes she should have and maybe just had some residual stomachaches from this. Then Tues & Wed it was worse and she was complaining of stomachaches with it so I thought it was a bug. But she never threw up, had a fever or diarrhea or any other obvious signs to suggest a virus. She went back to school Thu but was sent home both Thu and Fri because of complaining a couple times each day of stomach pain, refusing to eat more than a few bites at both snack & lunch and 'looking very unwell when trying to eat.'
<br />
<br />Her main issue is not being hungry, getting 'full' after only a few bites or after a few ounces of her scandishake, and complaining of stomachache in the general vicinity of her bellybutton (although this varies a little.) When she does poop (which has been at least some daily) it is NOT hard or chunky like a 'typical' constipated poop looks.
<br />
<br />Her cf dr asked a lot of questions on Friday and basically it came down to wanting to clean her out with Miralax. We've never used this before- what should we expect? Since her stools have not been hard to begin with & this is a stool softener, is this going to result in a lot of diarrhea or major urgency? I am worried about accidents at school tomorrow.
<br />
<br />What else should I know about this?
<br />

M

Mommafirst

Miralax is very gentle, nothing like the old laxatives that cause stomach cramping and urgency. After Alyssa uses any time of med that will be constipating (pain meds or anesthesia) we do weeks of miralax because of previous impactions.

How is Emily's belly feeling to your touch? Is it hard and firm or soft?? If it gets hard or she starts vomiting, you might need to run to the ER and rule out an obstruction.

If she is just a bit backed up, the miralax mixed in some juice will be a great way to clean her out naturally.

M

Mommafirst

Miralax is very gentle, nothing like the old laxatives that cause stomach cramping and urgency. After Alyssa uses any time of med that will be constipating (pain meds or anesthesia) we do weeks of miralax because of previous impactions.

How is Emily's belly feeling to your touch? Is it hard and firm or soft?? If it gets hard or she starts vomiting, you might need to run to the ER and rule out an obstruction.

If she is just a bit backed up, the miralax mixed in some juice will be a great way to clean her out naturally.

M

Mommafirst

M

Mommafirst

M

Mommafirst

<br />
<br />How is Emily's belly feeling to your touch? Is it hard and firm or soft?? If it gets hard or she starts vomiting, you might need to run to the ER and rule out an obstruction.
<br />
<br />If she is just a bit backed up, the miralax mixed in some juice will be a great way to clean her out naturally.

mysticrose

You also might want to try a mix of prune juice and coke. mix it 50/50 it will taste like a cherry coke. My son was on mirilax for prolapsing and we would also give him this it worked wonders. He also eats prune like they're going out of style. My MIL who's a dietician recommended this while I was preg. GOOD LUCK! I hope she can get some relief quickly.

mysticrose

You also might want to try a mix of prune juice and coke. mix it 50/50 it will taste like a cherry coke. My son was on mirilax for prolapsing and we would also give him this it worked wonders. He also eats prune like they're going out of style. My MIL who's a dietician recommended this while I was preg. GOOD LUCK! I hope she can get some relief quickly.

mysticrose

mysticrose

mysticrose

hmw

Yeah, the dr told us that if she was suddenly in acute pain or started vomiting over the weekend we needed to take her to the ER.

Emily is very thin so her belly is not overly soft to begin with, but it doesn't feel hard. It's a little tender to the touch and feels kind of lumpy(?) more than anything else when I push on it in a few places.

Her dr wants to hear back from us for an update in the next few days if Emily is still not eating well.

hmw

Yeah, the dr told us that if she was suddenly in acute pain or started vomiting over the weekend we needed to take her to the ER.

Emily is very thin so her belly is not overly soft to begin with, but it doesn't feel hard. It's a little tender to the touch and feels kind of lumpy(?) more than anything else when I push on it in a few places.

Her dr wants to hear back from us for an update in the next few days if Emily is still not eating well.

hmw

hmw

hmw

<br />
<br />Emily is very thin so her belly is not overly soft to begin with, but it doesn't feel hard. It's a little tender to the touch and feels kind of lumpy(?) more than anything else when I push on it in a few places.
<br />
<br />Her dr wants to hear back from us for an update in the next few days if Emily is still not eating well.