Enzyme help! Which enzymes to take??

AmberFerguson

I am having trouble with my enzymes, I do not know if I should take Zenpep 15 or Zenpep 20. Is the stronger enzyme better? I don't understand the break-down of how enzymes work; for example, there are different strengths 5, 10, 15 and 20 ... how do you know which strength to take for your body? I have talked to my doctor about this and was basically told to figure it out on my own. I have googled "how enzymes work" and feel like I am not any closer to understanding enzymes in depth. For as long as I can remember, growing up I have always wondered about my enzymes. Any advice, information, websites, any help would be so appreciated! Thank you for taking time to read my question. God Bless!

Amber Ferguson

AmberFerguson

I am having trouble with my enzymes, I do not know if I should take Zenpep 15 or Zenpep 20. Is the stronger enzyme better? I don't understand the break-down of how enzymes work; for example, there are different strengths 5, 10, 15 and 20 ... how do you know which strength to take for your body? I have talked to my doctor about this and was basically told to figure it out on my own. I have googled "how enzymes work" and feel like I am not any closer to understanding enzymes in depth. For as long as I can remember, growing up I have always wondered about my enzymes. Any advice, information, websites, any help would be so appreciated! Thank you for taking time to read my question. God Bless!

Amber Ferguson

AmberFerguson

<br />
<br />Amber Ferguson

petnurse

The reason why they tell you to figure it out on your own is because you really just have to play around with them. With my son, we go completely on stools. He has never has any oil, so we go based on odor and consistency. He is borderline pancreatic sufficient, so we started him on the lowest dose of Ultrase available. We had him on one capsule for almost a year. He was starting to strain, so we bumped him back to half. He has done well on that. When we first put him on whole milk, we would give him 1/2 enzyme with food and a whole one whenever he drank a bottle of milk. Now, however, a half is working with everything again. If the dr does a fecal elastase test they should know which enzymes do start with based on how much is in your stool. They need to see how much is actually getting through your pancreas first. Sorry if this is way more info than you need. You may already know all of this :-D

petnurse

The reason why they tell you to figure it out on your own is because you really just have to play around with them. With my son, we go completely on stools. He has never has any oil, so we go based on odor and consistency. He is borderline pancreatic sufficient, so we started him on the lowest dose of Ultrase available. We had him on one capsule for almost a year. He was starting to strain, so we bumped him back to half. He has done well on that. When we first put him on whole milk, we would give him 1/2 enzyme with food and a whole one whenever he drank a bottle of milk. Now, however, a half is working with everything again. If the dr does a fecal elastase test they should know which enzymes do start with based on how much is in your stool. They need to see how much is actually getting through your pancreas first. Sorry if this is way more info than you need. You may already know all of this :-D

petnurse

P

pencf

AMBER,

I can explain how they work in medical terms but I don't think you need all that. Basically it has to do with your enzymne need verses your intake and dependence. If you eat more, your pancreas isn't putting out on its on, and your body has grown depend on them....well that usually adds up to needing more enzymes. I was VERY hesitant changing my daughter from Ultrase MT 18 to ZENPEP 20's BUT I am THRILLED to SAY it was the BEST decision we have made in a VERY long time!!! She has gained 3pds in ONE month! And her intake is the same, so she is now storing that much needed energy her body needs. She was admitted in April at 101, dropped to 99.3 at PICC removal 3 wks later, clinic check 40 days ago at 101.8 and NOW is 105!!! CHANGE to ZENPEP!

P

pencf

AMBER,

I can explain how they work in medical terms but I don't think you need all that. Basically it has to do with your enzymne need verses your intake and dependence. If you eat more, your pancreas isn't putting out on its on, and your body has grown depend on them....well that usually adds up to needing more enzymes. I was VERY hesitant changing my daughter from Ultrase MT 18 to ZENPEP 20's BUT I am THRILLED to SAY it was the BEST decision we have made in a VERY long time!!! She has gained 3pds in ONE month! And her intake is the same, so she is now storing that much needed energy her body needs. She was admitted in April at 101, dropped to 99.3 at PICC removal 3 wks later, clinic check 40 days ago at 101.8 and NOW is 105!!! CHANGE to ZENPEP!

P

pencf

AMBER,
<br />
<br />I can explain how they work in medical terms but I don't think you need all that. Basically it has to do with your enzymne need verses your intake and dependence. If you eat more, your pancreas isn't putting out on its on, and your body has grown depend on them....well that usually adds up to needing more enzymes. I was VERY hesitant changing my daughter from Ultrase MT 18 to ZENPEP 20's BUT I am THRILLED to SAY it was the BEST decision we have made in a VERY long time!!! She has gained 3pds in ONE month! And her intake is the same, so she is now storing that much needed energy her body needs. She was admitted in April at 101, dropped to 99.3 at PICC removal 3 wks later, clinic check 40 days ago at 101.8 and NOW is 105!!! CHANGE to ZENPEP!

AmberFerguson

Catherine and pencf, I cannot say THANK YOU enough! I feel like I have a better understanding about my enzymes and how they work. For the first time in a long time I actually have hope. I do not feel overwhelmed or confused, all the information made complete sense. I am ready to tackle my enzyme issues, taking it one day at a time. I am going to try Zenpep as well as keep a food journal. I wish you both all the best. You and your families will be in my prayers. Again, THANK YOU from the bottom of my heart :]
Amber

AmberFerguson

Catherine and pencf, I cannot say THANK YOU enough! I feel like I have a better understanding about my enzymes and how they work. For the first time in a long time I actually have hope. I do not feel overwhelmed or confused, all the information made complete sense. I am ready to tackle my enzyme issues, taking it one day at a time. I am going to try Zenpep as well as keep a food journal. I wish you both all the best. You and your families will be in my prayers. Again, THANK YOU from the bottom of my heart :]
Amber

AmberFerguson

<br />Amber