Enzymes & Feeding Tube

CJPsMom

Our 7 month old recently had a feeding tube placed.  He's on continuous feeds overnight and is supposed to take 2 enzymes at the end of the continuous feed.  This has been a nightmare - as his belly is full and he wants NO part of take 2-3 bites of applesauce.<br><br>This morning, I forced them in and he promptly spit up.<br><br>For those of you with little ones with g-tubes, how are you giving enzymes?<br>

CJPsMom

Our 7 month old recently had a feeding tube placed. He's on continuous feeds overnight and is supposed to take 2 enzymes at the end of the continuous feed. This has been a nightmare - as his belly is full and he wants NO part of take 2-3 bites of applesauce.<br><br>This morning, I forced them in and he promptly spit up.<br><br>For those of you with little ones with g-tubes, how are you giving enzymes?<br>

CJPsMom

Our 7 month old recently had a feeding tube placed. He's on continuous feeds overnight and is supposed to take 2 enzymes at the end of the continuous feed. This has been a nightmare - as his belly is full and he wants NO part of take 2-3 bites of applesauce.<br><br>This morning, I forced them in and he promptly spit up.<br><br>For those of you with little ones with g-tubes, how are you giving enzymes?<br>

grammakaky

Why don't you just try putting the enzyme in his mouth whole, followed by the second.  He is already use to eating food and he will think its something different.  My daughter went through the same thing and around 8 or 9th month she just gave my granddaughter her enzyme and amazingly she just ate it.  No more applesauce.  Its worth the try.  I remember at CHOP they were amazed.<br>

grammakaky

Why don't you just try putting the enzyme in his mouth whole, followed by the second. He is already use to eating food and he will think its something different. My daughter went through the same thing and around 8 or 9th month she just gave my granddaughter her enzyme and amazingly she just ate it. No more applesauce. Its worth the try. I remember at CHOP they were amazed.<br>

grammakaky

Why don't you just try putting the enzyme in his mouth whole, followed by the second. He is already use to eating food and he will think its something different. My daughter went through the same thing and around 8 or 9th month she just gave my granddaughter her enzyme and amazingly she just ate it. No more applesauce. Its worth the try. I remember at CHOP they were amazed.<br>

M

Mommafirst

Now that you have the tube, you will have an extra spot to force the enzymes in. If you mix them with applesauce (and practice a little ahead of time) you can push them through the tube without waking him or forcing them down his throat.

What kind of enzyme is he on? I have been able to mix with a little applesauce and a little water to thin, suck it into a big 60cc syringe and use the extension and a lot of water flush to follow it.

M

Mommafirst

Now that you have the tube, you will have an extra spot to force the enzymes in. If you mix them with applesauce (and practice a little ahead of time) you can push them through the tube without waking him or forcing them down his throat.

What kind of enzyme is he on? I have been able to mix with a little applesauce and a little water to thin, suck it into a big 60cc syringe and use the extension and a lot of water flush to follow it.

M

Mommafirst

<br />
<br />What kind of enzyme is he on? I have been able to mix with a little applesauce and a little water to thin, suck it into a big 60cc syringe and use the extension and a lot of water flush to follow it.

CJPsMom

Grammakaky - your granddaughter swallowed the enzyme capsule at 9 months?? I'm impressed! My LO gagged on a mushed up banana, so I'm not sure he's ready to do that!

I wish!

CJPsMom

Grammakaky - your granddaughter swallowed the enzyme capsule at 9 months?? I'm impressed! My LO gagged on a mushed up banana, so I'm not sure he's ready to do that!

I wish!

CJPsMom

<br />
<br />I wish!

grammakaky

It's funny cause my daughter took a small video on her cellphone of her taking her enzymes. CHOP asked her to send them a copy of it and they were amazed.  It's funny she would take them over a spoonful of food. 

grammakaky

It's funny cause my daughter took a small video on her cellphone of her taking her enzymes. CHOP asked her to send them a copy of it and they were amazed. It's funny she would take them over a spoonful of food.

grammakaky

It's funny cause my daughter took a small video on her cellphone of her taking her enzymes. CHOP asked her to send them a copy of it and they were amazed. It's funny she would take them over a spoonful of food.

hmw

When Emily gets enzymes while sleeping we run them through her tube as Heather posted above. I experimented with a spare button, extension and syringe until I sort of felt like I knew what I was doing (at first I squirted it all over the table, etc and i wasted a whole pile of enzymes.) That way I felt like I sort of knew what to expect before trying it with Emily.

hmw

When Emily gets enzymes while sleeping we run them through her tube as Heather posted above. I experimented with a spare button, extension and syringe until I sort of felt like I knew what I was doing (at first I squirted it all over the table, etc and i wasted a whole pile of enzymes.) That way I felt like I sort of knew what to expect before trying it with Emily.

hmw

schmj4910

We have been told to crush the enzymes and put them into the bag at the start of the feed. Then the enzymes break down the fat while it is in the bag, so the formula is already "digested" before it goes into the stomach.

We crush the enzymes by opening them and pouring them into a small bowl (mortar), then crushing them with a pestle.

schmj4910

We have been told to crush the enzymes and put them into the bag at the start of the feed. Then the enzymes break down the fat while it is in the bag, so the formula is already "digested" before it goes into the stomach.

We crush the enzymes by opening them and pouring them into a small bowl (mortar), then crushing them with a pestle.