ex-vivo evaluation

nicolaj

Hey hope every one is well!

Well ive been listed for about 3months now, and today i received a letter asking if i would like to take part in a research study. Basically untill recently all donor lungs have been obtained from donors who are brain dead on life support in icu i.e their hearts are still beating. In Sweden a group of surgeons have developed a device to asses lungs from non heart beating donors outside the body to see if they are adequate quality. They use special solutions to flush the lungs, which seem to improve the function. This offers the possibility of increasing numbers of lungs available!
So basically what is every ones view on this. My view is i dont want to take part. Ive been told by my transplant co ordinator that i am in no rush to get my transplant and when the time does come,i want the best quality of lungs possible! One of the risks stated in the letter says theres a risk that you recieve lungs which do not work well. Why would i want to take part then??
Any one else had a similar letter to this?
Nicola xx

nicolaj

Well ive been listed for about 3months now, and today i received a letter asking if i would like to take part in a research study. Basically untill recently all donor lungs have been obtained from donors who are brain dead on life support in icu i.e their hearts are still beating. In Sweden a group of surgeons have developed a device to asses lungs from non heart beating donors outside the body to see if they are adequate quality. They use special solutions to flush the lungs, which seem to improve the function. This offers the possibility of increasing numbers of lungs available!
So basically what is every ones view on this. My view is i dont want to take part. Ive been told by my transplant co ordinator that i am in no rush to get my transplant and when the time does come,i want the best quality of lungs possible! One of the risks stated in the letter says theres a risk that you recieve lungs which do not work well. Why would i want to take part then??
Nicola xx

nicolaj

Nicola xx

nicolaj

Nicola xx

nicolaj

<br />
<br />Well ive been listed for about 3months now, and today i received a letter asking if i would like to take part in a research study. Basically untill recently all donor lungs have been obtained from donors who are brain dead on life support in icu i.e their hearts are still beating. In Sweden a group of surgeons have developed a device to asses lungs from non heart beating donors outside the body to see if they are adequate quality. They use special solutions to flush the lungs, which seem to improve the function. This offers the possibility of increasing numbers of lungs available!
<br />So basically what is every ones view on this. My view is i dont want to take part. Ive been told by my transplant co ordinator that i am in no rush to get my transplant and when the time does come,i want the best quality of lungs possible! One of the risks stated in the letter says theres a risk that you recieve lungs which do not work well. Why would i want to take part then??
<br />Any one else had a similar letter to this?
<br />Nicola xx

cutiepatootie

I don't think they do that in Canada yet, but I don't blame you for not wanting to do that. I won't have don't that either if they were doing that out here. If I were you the only way I would even consider something like that is, if I didn't think I could wait much longer on the list and it sounds like you have a bit of time. It feels like a long wait some times though. Good luck I hope everything works out for you.

cutiepatootie

I don't think they do that in Canada yet, but I don't blame you for not wanting to do that. I won't have don't that either if they were doing that out here. If I were you the only way I would even consider something like that is, if I didn't think I could wait much longer on the list and it sounds like you have a bit of time. It feels like a long wait some times though. Good luck I hope everything works out for you.

cutiepatootie

cutiepatootie

cutiepatootie