Excellent Presentation on Muscle Loss & CF - I think a must read

LittleLab4CF

Super Moderator
JENNYC, Could you email me the link at littlelab4cf@Comcast.net There's been one or two topic posts about Creon's time release coating and its effects. I looked up all the skinny on Creon and it has an enteric coating that releases at ~2 hours.

A lot of digestion without a properly functioning pancreas and gallbladder is hit and miss. It is an unfortunate reality and I feel an under served problem. I fear that its effects on the body and psyche are underestimated as well. The gut is both primitive and a finely engineered system. All living animals from salamanders to humans have a gut.

People are omnivores and have a uniquely upright digestive system. We chew food and add the enzyme amylase through our saliva. Then down to the stomach where HCL mixes in as the stomach churns and rubs the food, substantially reduced to a paste called chyme. Amino acids and sugars are immediately absorbed by the mucus membranes from the esophagus (in theory) until it's expelled.

Food is mostly amino acids in more concentrated complex molecules, proteins, fatty acids and lipids. Properly delivered enzymes in quantity and on time makes for a properly working gut. In a healthy gut the lion's share of food is digested in the duodenum. Almost a stomach in its own right, the duodenum is digestion Grand Central. Special sensors at the junction of the stomach and duodenum detects food, determines if it has fats and initiates series of digestive actions. Fat being detected causes the gallbladder to spasm, flooding bile over the chyme or food paste from the stomach. The duodenum is physically several times larger in diameter compared to the small intestine and about 16" long so it really is a distinct and specialized link in the GI tract. The specialized villi that suck up nutrients are florid in the duodenum.
Normally the pancreas would similarly fire a quantity of pancrealipase (enzyme cocktail like Creon) into the duodenum and keeps draining until sensors near those who ordered enzyme activity, orders the pancreas to stop. The pancreas produces sodium bicarbonate, a base or caustic compound that reacts with the stomach acid and enzymes, keeping digestion maximal.

If we even have a gallbladder left our narrow, sticky bile ducts mess up the delivery. If we don't have a gallbladder, it just drains into the gut and mixes randomly with food. Bile breaks down large fats, like the marbling in a steak. The large amount of lipase in Creon does a fair job of breaking fats or lipids down to proteins. Other enzymes break down plants but protease digests prote

We may not have comfy bellies and maldigestion/malabsorption is an unresolved issue, but digestion is going on. A worthless duodenum is going to rely on the remaining 25 feet of small intestine and all the probiotic laced large bowel we can put to use. It's a lousy problem and it is a life long challenge.

I am actively looking at switching enzymes and combining Creon or such with Viokase, immediate release enzymes that are quickly sensed and the attempt to stimulate the pancreas, stopped. For some unknown reason my pancreas still tries to work. This makes every meal an adventure in pain and nausea. The timed coatings for medication is big business. Perhaps a solution is out there.

LL

amaral

proteases are not produced by the pancreas

That makes no sense to me. Creon supplies pancreatic enzymes and proteases are not produced by the pancreas. The main function of the synthetic enzymes is to supply the lipase and amylase needs that are no longer produced in the ideal amount in people with pancreatic insufficiency. Could you explain this better?

erock77

me too please. erocks77 [at] gmail.com
Try posting it elsewhere and linking it to here.
Also for others, I recommend not writing your email out properly, this site is searchable and bots will likely grab your email and start sending lots of spam.

L

ladydi

me, too ladydi.1965@yahoo.com

Hey guys a little while ago we were blessed enough to be invited to a fantastic CF meeting with 2 very incredible Dr's. I wish I had the audio to go with this...but I did get this slide and if you have a minute I highly recommend you take a look at it. It suggest that Creon does not dissolve protein like it does fat within 30 to 45 minutes... but actually looks like it doesn't start breaking down protein until 2 to 3 hours after taken in which time the protein would no longer be in the stomach to absorb properly. This just makes so much sense to me and has really opened my eyes. Take a look and let me know what you think.

I have never uploaded anything on here before ... it says I was successful but let me know if you don't see the attachment please. :)

me, too .... ladydi.1965@yahoo.com