excersise for a 3 almost 4 year old

MOME2RT

What kind of exersises could Reece do? All he really does his ride his bike. Maybe once a week the neighborhood kids come over & they run around the yard....but thats about it. We dont have a trampoline...thought about getting one but nervous about the safety issues it comes with. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!!! Thanks!

M

Markus

Have you thought about getting him into team sports at all? At that age I joined a T-ball and soccer team. I think soccer was the one sport that really helped keep me healthy through my teenage years when i just did not want to do any treatments.

MOME2RT

Good suggestion on the soccer!!! We we totally thinking about doing that this fall. As for the T~ball...that will probaly have to wait until next year~I think he has to be 5! Back to the soccer thing...it is running up & down the field...wont that tire him out or run him down? I know it will make him cough..cuz thats what he does when hes outside playing on his bike and such. But I guess thats the point...keeping him clear. Thanks again for your reply!!!

anonymous

Have you started swimming lessons yet?

What about getting him a soccer ball to kick around the yard or a t-ball set to hit balls around?

At DS's daycare they go for walks everyday (summer & winter), play at the playground, play basketball. If the weather's bad, sometimes they get a elmocize video and have all the kids dance and exercise.

Liza

M

Markus

It will tire him out but it will help him maintain his lung functions at least it did for me. It was a fun sport that kept me busy playing and not thinking about how it was keeping my lungs clear. During half time I would cough a lot but was able to get a lot out which is good. YOu just want to make sure that he get lots of water during the games and he is getting in a lot of food to maintain his weight. I used to always eat a good meal after soccer and take a nap but that was me.

Swimming is another activity that is really good. I personally found it a little boring when I was 4 except for diving off of the diving board but soccer for me was exciting.

Good luck!

Would love to hear how he is doing and what you decided

take care,
Mark

MOME2RT

Mark~ He is doing OK....doing a lot of hard coughing in the morning..but then it evens out to just when he gets to playing hard. I def. think we will enroll him in soccer this fall. Will let ya know how it goes...although you may not have too much time for this board come fall....LOL...

M

Markus

If it starts to get really cold in the fall where you are have someone wrap a blanket around him when he comes off the field to keep him warm. There were times that I would come home with a slight fever from playing so hard and it being so cold. In the long run though I have to say playing soccer was well worth it.

Oh and make sure you wrap up good too, soccer moms have to be tough women to stand on the sidelines through all sorts of weather

EnergyGal

How about some pushups? There is also a wheel barrel exercise game that if you hold his ankles while he uses his hands to walk across the floor. I remember doing this as a child but wish I kept this up. It is great for the shoulders, chest and back. It is recommened in the CF centers for children in usa and in europe. ~Risa

Always ask the Doctor first

M

Markus

Pushup and situp and doing stuff like that are good but it is only targeting one muscle group, while playing sports effect every muscle group. I have noticed at least with my nephew he losses interest unless others are doing it too. Sports seem to keep them entertained for long periods of time and they are more motivated to stay with it.