Exercise or Albuteral - Similar Effects

Gammaw

Super Moderator
Interesting article on the benefits of exercise for CFers. It contains links to recent research comparing moderate exercise to the effects of albuteral. One of the things I found most interesting though was the researchers recommendations for moderate exercise compared to light exercise or intense workouts. Bottom line seems to point to improved longevity, increased lung function and increase quality of life when your lifestyle includes sustained moderate exercise. Be sure to click on the research links for interesting info.

http://cysticfibrosisnewstoday.com/...g-mean-less-time-hospital-time-enjoying-life/

ethan508

This article helped motivate me to get out for a jog yesterday. I'd heard the theory before but hadn't seen the study.

The longer I have this disease the more I realize I need to get out and do things that create airflow and mechanical movement (even if it makes me cough a little). That cough means that the activity is working out the stuff that the vest or PEP or beatings couldn't get out.

Gammaw

Super Moderator
That is supposed to be a thumbs up on your content Ethan! There's a glitch being worked on!

imported_Momto2

Gammaw, thats really interesting. It correlates to what I have noticed over the past few decades with an FEV between 50% and 70%. Really intense exercise made my asthma and oxygen sats worse, light doesnt help much at all, and moderate really helps a lot. Unfortunately all I can do is what I consider light right now with my FEV in the low 40's, but it FEELS intense to my body! (FART2)

Gammaw

Super Moderator
Momto2, I wonder if whether "light", "moderate", or "intense" is meant to be relative to your tolerance rather than some absolute or average value. I suspect that moderate exercise for you will help maintain your current lung function, and that it's more likely to decrease or decrease more rapidly without moderate exercise. Sounds like a good question for your Team! Here's a cheer for your efforts to sustain through exercise. It can be difficult for anyone to keep consistently motivated!
Blessings.....

ethan508

Often times we measure our workout intensity on the distance and speed of the run, the reps and mass of the weights, or the time and pain of a yoga session. But from what I've read the level of exercise (light, moderate, or intense) should be based off you heart rate and your perceived effort (which I've found are strongly correlated). To my healthy teenaged nephew a 4 mile run at 8 min/mile is a light/moderate exercise but to me that is super intense.

With dropping FEV1 it will require less work (work in a force X distance sense) for your heart rate to be in the target zone than when you were younger with better lung function. So adjust accordingly.

imported_Momto2

Yes, Gammaw, thats what I think too. Its hard to go from being able to run a 10K, swim a mile, then bike 10 miles (all back to back), to being excited about walking a mile. Huge change in less than 2 years.

Gammaw

Super Moderator
I bet Momto2. That would be tough. Don't push too hard. But keep at it. You're exercise regime was incredible before. Definitely not the norm! For anyone! So although it's a big decrease, it's not quite as big as you probably see it!
Blessings.