Exercise vs avoid public pools

So, my FEV1 is in the upper 40's right now after being at 23% back in February. It has been a long recovery time and I have become very sedentary. Mostly because I HATE when I have an asthma like attack and can't catch my breath. However, my good friend invited me to an exercise opportunity that she felt would be perfect for me--walking the lazy river at our community pool. They offer this walk 3 times a week for one hour for the low price of $2. I was able to complete the whole hour, although part of the time I walked with the river instead of against. This is the most exercise I've done in a long while. Only a few weeks ago I could barely stand up from a crouch and that was with using my arms holding onto the counter to help. Anyway I was really excited about the lazy river until I remembered I'm not really supposed to go in public pools. So, is it more valuable to get exercise and take the chance I may encounter some bacteria or should I be avoiding pools altogether? Thanks for weighing in!

Ratatosk

Administrator
Staff member
With DS we always felt it was important for him to learn how to swim; however, we avoid hot tubs --- higher temps equals more bacteria. That said, the swimming pool he had lessons at was owned by the school system, we knew the manager and how it was run and we knew the county health officer who inspected pools. He'd tell us if there were any issues with area pools. So we were comfortable with ds swimming there. There were other pools -- a hotel water park that was always getting bad marks as their answer to everything was to just add more chemicals. DS was invited to several birthday parties and daycare events there and we always opted out due to stories we'd heard about it. So my advice would be to know your pool. Another thing is timing. Probably best to go earlier in the day instead of late afternoon or early evening after all the kids have been there. Friend of mine who used to manage the outdoor park district pool always remarked how they'd have to balance the chemicals or shock the pool after a busy afternoon.

kenna2

Congratulations on getting your FEV1 back up!! I'm starting to learn that everything is a double edged sword when it comes to having CF. I think that walking the lazy river is a great low impact workout that will help to make you stronger and get things moving and out. Especially if you enjoy doing it! If you can find out when they shock the pool that would be helpful too. I grew up exercising (swim team included) my whole life and was able to avoid a lot of IV meds because of it, until I became inactive. I think the exercise would do you more good than harm.

I think I will find out when they shock the pool to be "safer." Also, the lazy river walk is in the morning before the pool opens to the public, so hopefully less bacteria then. I was on the swim team too Kenna, my 6th-8th grade years. I also ran 3 miles races when I was a kid. I do think being active contributed to staying healthy longer, although CF does take it's toll and before you know it you find it difficult to do the smallest tasks. I'm hoping with increased exercise I can stay in the 40s for longer. Lung function, not age LOL. Although I will be 41 come August. ;)

draz91

I've been swimming in public pools my entire life! From club swimming through High School and now at 41 I try and hit the pool at least 4 times a week for about 1 hour. I've never had an issue or had a Doctor tell me to stay away for fear of bacteria in fact swimming in pools had kept me more or less healthy and active most of my life! Keep going and stay active!