Exercising???

M

MeasureInLove

I'm having a very difficult time getting out and exercising. The past few months my lung function has been steadily declining, and I'm being evaluated for transplant.
I'm trying desperately to not only gain weight, but still keep active. I know I need the muscle to keep me strong for surgery, it helps my lungs and it would help with my depression. Problem is, I'm so tired most of the day and just taking my dog outside twice a day is exhausting. I still have a gym membership. I used to go walk on the treadmill about three times a week, and now I haven't been there in about three months.
How do you get yourself motivated and handle the exhaustion? I'm just having a very difficult time.

M

MeasureInLove

I'm having a very difficult time getting out and exercising. The past few months my lung function has been steadily declining, and I'm being evaluated for transplant.
I'm trying desperately to not only gain weight, but still keep active. I know I need the muscle to keep me strong for surgery, it helps my lungs and it would help with my depression. Problem is, I'm so tired most of the day and just taking my dog outside twice a day is exhausting. I still have a gym membership. I used to go walk on the treadmill about three times a week, and now I haven't been there in about three months.
How do you get yourself motivated and handle the exhaustion? I'm just having a very difficult time.

nocode

Hi,
I can understand that. I also find it very difficult to motivate myself and exercise as I should. Then I feel guilty that I'm not doing it and don't enjoy the times at rest either. It's a vicious cycle.

From experience and also word of mouth, doing something - as little as it may be - is always better than doing nothing. So maybe a good start would be to not pressure yourself to "have to do this much exercise today", but to do small amounts.. rest...do some more, followed by more rest.

I have a Wii from Nintendo and that's the exercise that I do a lot of the times, since my lung capacity doesn't allow me to go for a jog outside, for instance, and I don't feel comfortable enough at a gym, so I keep reasonably active in the comfort of my own house, working out on my Wii Fitness and Sports plus which allow me to choose from a wide range of sports and work outs.. from muscle to aerobics, yoga etc. I am glad I got this.

Good luck and feel free to PM if you'd like to chat more!

nocode

Hi,
I can understand that. I also find it very difficult to motivate myself and exercise as I should. Then I feel guilty that I'm not doing it and don't enjoy the times at rest either. It's a vicious cycle.

From experience and also word of mouth, doing something - as little as it may be - is always better than doing nothing. So maybe a good start would be to not pressure yourself to "have to do this much exercise today", but to do small amounts.. rest...do some more, followed by more rest.

I have a Wii from Nintendo and that's the exercise that I do a lot of the times, since my lung capacity doesn't allow me to go for a jog outside, for instance, and I don't feel comfortable enough at a gym, so I keep reasonably active in the comfort of my own house, working out on my Wii Fitness and Sports plus which allow me to choose from a wide range of sports and work outs.. from muscle to aerobics, yoga etc. I am glad I got this.

Good luck and feel free to PM if you'd like to chat more!

M

MeasureInLove

Thank you so much Vera! I've decided to look into getting a treadmill for at home. I also have resistance bands that I was given in the hospital and have dug them out of the closet. I'm ready to get back on track. And I'll definitely be taking your advice and starting off slow and feeling good about just putting in the effort :)

M

MeasureInLove

Thank you so much Vera! I've decided to look into getting a treadmill for at home. I also have resistance bands that I was given in the hospital and have dug them out of the closet. I'm ready to get back on track. And I'll definitely be taking your advice and starting off slow and feeling good about just putting in the effort :)

nocode

Great that you're getting a treadmill too! I've been wanting to get one as I seriously see it as something I could get on board often. I'd just walk, but at least it would be more consistent than the wii, which has a lot of breaks.

I was also thinking - do you know what really motivates me to get off the couch and start working out? It's reading threads about exercising and its benefits on CF here on the forums. All I have to do it 'search' exercise and when I read people's testimonials' about exercise being the best therapy for CF and a way to improve lung capacity, I feel so guilty that I immediately start moving.

nocode

Great that you're getting a treadmill too! I've been wanting to get one as I seriously see it as something I could get on board often. I'd just walk, but at least it would be more consistent than the wii, which has a lot of breaks.

I was also thinking - do you know what really motivates me to get off the couch and start working out? It's reading threads about exercising and its benefits on CF here on the forums. All I have to do it 'search' exercise and when I read people's testimonials' about exercise being the best therapy for CF and a way to improve lung capacity, I feel so guilty that I immediately start moving.

RunningMan

I am glad to hear both of you are putting in the effort to stay active. That is awesome and what I truly believe is the best way to get/stay healthy. You should be proud of yourselves and keep up the good work.

RunningMan

I am glad to hear both of you are putting in the effort to stay active. That is awesome and what I truly believe is the best way to get/stay healthy. You should be proud of yourselves and keep up the good work.

bigstar

I try to take up cycling but im so bored! I do the same thing as you Vera. I read testimonials so i feel guilty and finally move my ass. I try to convince myself that cycling for half an hour 4 times a week will make feel better and make my body look fit. Im unconvincable!

bigstar

I try to take up cycling but im so bored! I do the same thing as you Vera. I read testimonials so i feel guilty and finally move my ass. I try to convince myself that cycling for half an hour 4 times a week will make feel better and make my body look fit. Im unconvincable!

RunningMan

It is good to look and see what others are doing to help motivate you or give you ideas. However the key to it is not what they are doing but that they enjoy what they are doing. Long story short the first thing you need to do is find something you enjoy doing that is good exercise. After that you look at how to improve or get better at it on your own and before you know it you are getting in good exercise while having fun. If you do not enjoy/have fun at what you are doing you will never continue doing it or at least not work hard at it. So go have fun and then worry about the working-out part of it. You can do just about anything and make it into a workout. Think about "What do you enjoy doing?"

RunningMan

It is good to look and see what others are doing to help motivate you or give you ideas. However the key to it is not what they are doing but that they enjoy what they are doing. Long story short the first thing you need to do is find something you enjoy doing that is good exercise. After that you look at how to improve or get better at it on your own and before you know it you are getting in good exercise while having fun. If you do not enjoy/have fun at what you are doing you will never continue doing it or at least not work hard at it. So go have fun and then worry about the working-out part of it. You can do just about anything and make it into a workout. Think about "What do you enjoy doing?"

Gemmy

Banned
Exercising is useful for health fitness. Walking is a best exercise for fitness. Daily drink 5 to 6 liter water for fitness for your body.

running4life

I attribute all my health to my exercise. For years, I never did treatments and just exercised and I have made it 26 years so far. Some tips for exercising would be: do it first thing in the AM when your energy is highest, set a small goal and then go from there (example: today, I will walk 5 minutes and it's okay if I take breaks or today, I will ride my bike for 10 minutes), do something you enjoy and it won't be as bad, make yourself park further away when you go to the grocery store so it forces you to walk, set a goal to exercise 3 times a week and reward yourself when you've met your goal, find a partner (when I've been really sick, I ask my mom to walk with me), and tell yourself you are doing a good thing. Beating yourself up, never works, but talk positively to yourself.

Kyrav

Hey, I'm in eval for transplant as well and have been doing a pulmonary rehab program to keep my strength up. I find it does take a lot out of me too. I do the treadmill and resistance bands, taking breaks from the bands every other day. I've found that even just that hour three or four times a week has been helpful. I also find it easier to stick with when I have a buddy. Or maybe set a goal? Mine was to walk in my first Great Strides.
Good luck to you!

Gemmy

Banned
Exercise is any physical activity that makes your body use more energy than it would normally, makes you breathe a bit harder and makes your heart beat faster.Exercise can help keep a kid's body fit and healthy.

CrisDopher

I'm in the transplant boat, too, and finding exercise more and more difficult to sustain, but I am keeping active. Right now I get the most activity commuting, which involves quite a bit of walking, even with bus and subways factored in. It IS hard, but I feel proud I can still do it.

I never loved running, but look foward to getting back to it someday, if only as a giant F.U. to CF. I love cycling, but lately even that has taken a hit, as even on the mildest inclines, I desaturate to mid-80s (with oxygen turned to max). It's frustrating.

kyeev

I'm in the transplant boat, too, and finding exercise more and more difficult to sustain, but I am keeping active. Right now I get the most activity commuting, which involves quite a bit of walking, even with bus and subways factored in. It IS hard, but I feel proud I can still do it.

I never loved running, but look foward to getting back to it someday, if only as a giant F.U. to CF. I love cycling, but lately even that has taken a hit, as even on the mildest inclines, I desaturate to mid-80s (with oxygen turned to max). It's frustrating.

Another thing to point out is limb and core strength are really important post transplant; actually being able to climb out of bed after the operation.
So if you can't go for a 5 minute walk, perhaps lifting some arm weights or going down to squat position and back up again, or walking about the house holding some weights could help.
I can still walk along the flat at an okay pace but can't go up any hills without a rest every 20 yards.
So my plan is to start lifting some weights at some stage when I can't manage the walking any more.