Failed Frozen Embryo Transfer few questions any help appreciated

laneyb

Hi All

I hope this finds you all well.

I have posted before but i'll update to bring you up to speed!!

We did a fresh IVF cycle back in June and that failed. We had a break for a while and in November just gone we did a frozen embryo transfer. All was going well our first blood test 9th December was positive, 2nd blood test 13 December positive! We live in France and went home to Ireland for Christmas and I bled over Christmas had an early miscarriage! We really thought it would all go well and we were so happy!!

I got my period , first period after the miscarriage 2 weeks later! Nearly finished it!! I felt awful when I got it so tired and feeling unfit! Slightly out of breathe doing exericse! Mind I have only started to get back into exercising! I'm feeling better today and think it's all just to do with what my body has been through!!

We're dealing with mifi so we were so hopeful when we got as far as we did this time!

I saw on one forum, non CF forum someone said they had a mucus check?? I've never had anything like that, don't know what it is!! Should I? Anyone else ever in the same position and gone on to have a baby? Did you do anything different before trying again? We have one frozen embryo left so really have our fingers crossed for that!!

Be lovely to chat to others who share similar stories. We are Irish and living in France. I'm 33 female with CF. Living in France has been my medicine for the last 3 years i've been so well. My fertility doctor has never treated anyone with Cf though so it would be great to chat to anyone hear if you did anything after failled IVF or FET or just to chat in general.

Look forward to hearing from you.

J

John O

Hi Laneyb,

I am a fibro. My wife and I had a miracle daughter born in October 12 via IVF and PGD pre genetic diagnosis. I know how you feel as my wife and I lost our first IVF. I don't know to describe it to anyone who has never experienced it but it is HELL!!! It was the toughest thing we ever done. We were blessed in our second round of IVF to have our miracle daughter. You can read about our IVF here

http://livingmydreamswithcf.blogspot.com/p/ivf.html

I would love to chat with you. Send me a message on here. I love to get to know my CFers. I hope you soon find peace in all of this. If you need anything I am here for you.

http://livingmydreamswithcf.blogspot.com/

Talk Soon,

John

laneyb

Hi John

Thanks so much for your post. What an amazing story and congrats on the birth of your beautiful daughter . What a journey you guys had but i'm sure you'd do it all over again for your daughter.
We are dealing with male issues. Thankfully all my tests were fine. I was shocked by this as I'd just presumed i'd be the problem due to my CF!! As you said after your chemical pregnancy you knew your wife could get pregnant. After our first round of IVF June 2012 we too had a chemical pregnancy. November just gone we had a FET and we got further than the first time and we were so hopeful!! First 2 bloods positive the 2nd bloods has risen perfectly numbers all good so it was harder this time!! I'm getting pregnant so that's something and I know we will get there. I wouldn't change anything. Your story was lovely to read such a happy outcome . These stories help me focus on the future and know that if we keep trying we too will have a happy outcome.

W

welshwitch

No real advice, but I love your attitude, Laney. Feeling hopeful for you that you will get to be a mom soon :) Sending positive energy your way.

LouLou

I too love your attitude Laney. No real advice other than that pre-seed is a good *sperm friendly* lubricant that may help the sperm swim more freely before getting stuck in cf mucus. I realize with the methodology you are using you aren't using traditional intercourse to conceive but perhaps it could help? You did ask about mucus test so I'm wracking my brain for mucus advice. The other thing people do is take guaifenesin orally to help thin mucus throughout their body. This MAY help thin cervical mucus. Finally the other thing I've heard some people say may have attributed to them getting pregnant was the follopian tube test which I guess in the process flushes the tubes. Our mucus is so viscous! Good luck and keep us posted
- I have one son who I conceived in 2006 naturally. I tracked my temperature to observe when I was ovulating and chose when to have intercourse very wisely based on the suggestion of the books/websites I was reading at the time.

laneyb

Hi Loulou and Welshwitch. It's hard being positive after the inital bad news that it hasn't worked. You need some time to heal and get ready to try again.

I did take guaifenesin orally when we were trying naturally. Now we're on the IVF journey becauseof male issues. I had the fallopion tubes test etc. All clear thank God. I was very surprised at the time just presumed i'd be the problem!!

As we're doing IVF and the embryo is inserted into the uterus does that mean it bypasses the mucus and has a good chance?? That's what I have been hoping that as the embryo is inserted directly into uterus it bypasses mucus problem? I got pregnant after our last FET just in November so it was hard after 3 or 4 weeks I had early miscarriage!! we do believe it will happen! I have no problems and if we keep trying we believe there's a baby out there for us. It's just hard not knowing how many times you'll have to try!! Emotionally and physically it's hard!!! Plus having CF and getting pregnant scares me a lot! Not knowing how it will make me feel , the unknown scares me!!

Thank you for all your replies from you.

laneyb

Hi Loulou, what did you mean when you said this? "No real advice other than that pre-seed is a good *sperm friendly* lubricant that may help the sperm swim more freely before getting stuck in cf mucus."

Sorry i'm just a bit confused not sure what you are referring to? Anything that might help I would love to know about;
thanks a mil. Elaine.

LouLou

I don't think it applies since you are doing IVF. No need for the sperm to swim since the embryo is transferred. Pre-seed is a lubricant for sex that is more "sperm friendly" than say K-Y. Some cf women have speculated that it helped them get pregnant because it created a more natural lubricant environment than their own very thick cf cervical mucus. In your case, none of this really applies since you are doing IVF and the issues were male generated and not related to your cf at all. If you are like me you will love pregnancy and wish you could be pregnant again after all is said and done. It's not in the cards for me to have more babies. While I could probably push myself and handle it the newborn phase is what was hardest for me and I wouldn't want to possibly take away from days on this earth with my boy. Truly blessed to have one awesome kid!

kyeev

Hi John

Thanks so much for your post. What an amazing story and congrats on the birth of your beautiful daughter . What a journey you guys had but i'm sure you'd do it all over again for your daughter.
We are dealing with male issues. Thankfully all my tests were fine. I was shocked by this as I'd just presumed i'd be the problem due to my CF!! As you said after your chemical pregnancy you knew your wife could get pregnant. After our first round of IVF June 2012 we too had a chemical pregnancy. November just gone we had a FET and we got further than the first time and we were so hopeful!! First 2 bloods positive the 2nd bloods has risen perfectly numbers all good so it was harder this time!! I'm getting pregnant so that's something and I know we will get there. I wouldn't change anything. Your story was lovely to read such a happy outcome . These stories help me focus on the future and know that if we keep trying we too will have a happy outcome.

Hi laneyb,
Just to let you know we did 8 rounds of IVF and we have two sons to show for it.
It was the male side of things that was the problem for us as well.
So the fact that you got a positive early test is excellent news.
We had about 4 or 5 of those and you just need a bit of luck for one of them to "stick".
So hang in there. It is a tough road and requires a lot of persistence.
We had plenty of tears and frustration.
You only need to get lucky once!