Favorite fiction books?

jbrandyn

Hey, so I like to read fiction in the hospital to kill time. I was wondering who else does and what you like to read, favorite authors, and favorite titles... kind of like a suggestion list and just to see what other CFers are reading. :DMy favorite genre is drama, Trueman Capote and John Grisham are my favorite authors and I think my favorite book is V by Thomas Pynchon. A close second is In Cold Blood by Trueman Capote.

jamoncita

I haven't read Capote or Grisham.. I'm just gonna throw out some books I have enjoyed. Love in the Time of Cholera, Lord of the Flies, Devil in the White City, Bel Canto, The Intimate Lives of the Founding Fathers, The Spirit Catches You and You Fall Down (that's especially a good one from the health perspective). That's all i can think of right now. Have to admit I haven't been reading a whole lot. I'm currently reading a book on early American history, but it's very slow reading and I can't recommend it to anyone. hah! Sad, I know, but history is not often told in a compelling manner. The exception in my little list is The Devil in the White City.
Anyway, I hope you'll give at least one of these books a chance and find that you enjoy it!

beautifulsoul

Super Moderator
My two favorite authors are Jodi Picoult & Nicholas Sparks.

My personal favorites of Jodi Picoult so far (I haven't read all of them yet) are "Nineteen Minutes" & "Change of heart" Her number one novel is "My Sister's Keeper" but I personally thought the book was too sad and sometimes unrealistic. Jodi writes a lot of novels dealing with law & court cases but also adds a mixture of romance & mystery all in the same novel. I love her writing style.

I'm sure you've heard of "The Notebook" which is Nicholas Sparks' number one novel. It's a good novel but I actually think the movie is still the BEST! His genre of writing is all romance. Many of his books are currently movies. My personal favorites of Nicholas Sparks are "The Best of Me" & "The Last Song"

I've only read two James Patterson Novels so far. The Women's Murder Club series. It goes by numbers.."The First to Die" "Second Chance" "3rd Degree" and so on...

One last book I suggest is "The Five People You Meet in Heaven" by Mitch Albom. LOVED IT! There is a movie as well and it's dead on the book! Made me cry :(

That's my list :)

Aboveallislove

Super Moderator
A Tree Grows in Brooklyn (heartwarming), The Count of Monte Cristo (swashbuckling), Dorothy Sayer Peter Whimsey series (fun, yet literary), Kristin Lavransdatter (epic).

Aboveallislove

Super Moderator
A Tree Grows in Brooklyn (heartwarming), The Count of Monte Cristo (swashbuckling), Dorothy Sayer Peter Whimsey series (fun, yet literary), Kristin Lavransdatter (epic).

AimeeSue82

Books i've enjoyed recently: the girl with the dragon tattoo (and the other 2 books in that series), the guernsey literary and potato peel pie society, the immortal life of henrietta lacks, the hunger games series, the wicked series. i recommend them all!

~aimee

Ratatosk

Administrator
Staff member
I like reading murder/mystery genre --- Greg Iles, Faye or Jonathan Kellerman, John Sanford Prey novels. Liked the Dragon Tattoo books as well. I did like Charlaine Harris' Southern Vampire series, which the HBO show True Blood is based on; however, her last one IMO wasn't up to par. Some of Stephen Kings older works -- most recent book I've read of his was Duma Key.

beautifulsoul

Super Moderator
Liza, I heard the Dragon Tattoo was a great read. How did you like Duma Key? I'm trying to better my reading skills to be able to read Stephen King novels. They are a little bit outside of my reading level. I've had many people tell me that "The Stand" is incredible so I bought that one. I could only read a few chapters before it got too confusing to me. What is your favorite Stephen King Book?

Ratatosk

Administrator
Staff member
The first Dragon Tattoo book was hard to get into, but once I got going, got used to the language -- orginally was published in swedish, so the names were hard to get used to -- it was a great read.

The reason I liked Duma Key was because it was similar to the old school Stephen King Horror Genre from years ago --- Cujo, Pet Sematary, It, Christine-- and scared the heck out of me in one part.

My favorite Stephen King book was the first one I read -- Salem's Lot -- vampires. And I liked It, too! I like more of his horror books than the gunslinger series. I did like the Stand, but seem to recall it was confusing to get into as they were setting up all the characters.

beautifulsoul

Super Moderator
Originally posted by: Ratatosk I did like the Stand, but seem to recall it was confusing to get into as they were setting up all the characters.
Exactly! I might pick it off my bookshelf and try to read it again. A while ago I was looking to see if they offer it as an audiobook. I thought maybe it would help me understand it better by listening to it and following along in the book as well.
Unfortunately, When I was younger I watched the movie makings of his older books. "The Shining, Pet Sematary, Carrrie, It, etc," Lots of people have told me "The Shining" is better to read! I don't like to watch movies before I read the book because it spoils most of the plot/and endings. I prefer to imagine my own Character's. If I watch the movie, the only thing I can imagine is the actors who played the roles!
One of the non-horror movies I absolutely loved based on a Stephen King novel was "The Shawshank Redemption."

samb

I just finished reading Divergent!! Amazing! As well as The Hunger Games series. I am right now reading City of Bones which is book 1 of a trilogy.

nmw0615

I'm a huge book reader, especially in the hospital. It's my way of escaping to someplace else. I actually run a book review blog for all the books I read each year. (http://findmeinabook.com/) My favorite book I've read this year was "How to Kill a Rockstar" by Tiffanie DeBartolo. I've read 60 books so far this year, so it's a bit hard for me to narrow my favs list down. haha

W

windex125

I love to read as well, read the Tatoo series the best read all 3 - The Witness Nora Roberts James Patterson The 11th Hr. - Guilty Wives - I lover thriller mysterys as well/ Belong to a book club but at my age 57 what else is there to do but go walking and reading LOL had to give up the salsa dancing which I loved... Pat-57/CF

azdesertrat

I really don't care much for fiction; in my view there are too many true stories that are very interesting to 'waste my time' on fiction.
The one fiction author I will read is Stephen King. I've read tons of his titles.
'The Stand' IS an incredible read! I don't think the movie adaptation did it any kind of justice.
If you're up to it, you really should try to read it.
What I like about King's wriitng is he makes run of the mill, everyday scenes scary.
If you don't think Suburban America can be scary try reading 'The Regulators'.
Good stuff Maynard!

randmel89

I really enjoyed every book by Tami Hoag. She writes to keep you from putting down the book. She is a romance and thriller writer.. I have a Kindle Touch and have way to many favs to mention but Tami is the best. Meant her once in person and she is super nice and just all around funny... Hope you find some good books..