Feeling nervous

kbquincy

HI, I've been waiting for 3 1/2 months now (which I know is not long), but it seems that the longer I wait, the more I start thinking and worrying a little about life post TX.

Everyone tells me that you have to be very careful after TX, especially around kids. One pre-TX patient, who is a nurse, said I should think about not seeing my daughter for the first few months after TX as a precaution. She said in the long run it would be better since kids pick up everything. She is 8 years old.
It got me thinking. Am I ever going to be able to truly hug, kiss and love on my daughter like before? This sounds like a funny question, and probably very silly considering all the wonderful things I will be able to do with her post TX, but it makes me a little sad that I will always be worrying about getting sick. Will I ever be able to volunteer in her school? Just wanted some feedback with those of you with kids. Thanks. Kim

kbquincy

HI, I've been waiting for 3 1/2 months now (which I know is not long), but it seems that the longer I wait, the more I start thinking and worrying a little about life post TX.

Everyone tells me that you have to be very careful after TX, especially around kids. One pre-TX patient, who is a nurse, said I should think about not seeing my daughter for the first few months after TX as a precaution. She said in the long run it would be better since kids pick up everything. She is 8 years old.
It got me thinking. Am I ever going to be able to truly hug, kiss and love on my daughter like before? This sounds like a funny question, and probably very silly considering all the wonderful things I will be able to do with her post TX, but it makes me a little sad that I will always be worrying about getting sick. Will I ever be able to volunteer in her school? Just wanted some feedback with those of you with kids. Thanks. Kim

kbquincy

kbquincy

kbquincy

coltsfan715

Hey there,

I just had to reply after reading your post. I was terrified after I had surgery to even so much as kiss my fiance. I was afraid that he would just give me back the CF germs I had pre transplant since we kissed before I had my transplant and all. I ended up talking to the doctor about it and they said there was no reason to be concerned.

I do NOT have kids so I can not say in that regard, but I don't see any reason why you can't be around your kids. I know a man that had a heart transplant at my center with 2 children - and one on the way (post transplant baby). He lived with his kids and dealt with his kids in the months right after his transplant. You have to be more careful YES - but there is no real reason to quarantine yourself UNLESS someone in your family is sick.

Just talk to your daughter and start teaching her NOW how to keep clean and to wash her hands and all properly. You might have to wear a mask for the first few months when you deal with her simply because she may be harboring germs from school but I think it is crazy to not be around your kid at all.

I will also say that since my transplant I have realized that EVERYONE post transplant has their hangups. Some people won't eat fruit or veggies, some won't EVER eat out, some can not stand in the least any crowded places others think that working is a bad idea and so on. I have also learned that for me personally - as I am sure you may find with yourself - I take baby steps. I test and try things out and see how I feel about the activity or place or situation. From there I decide if it is something I want to do or a situation I want to put myself in.

I have gone to Walt Disney World - the first time was only 4 months after my transplant - I have gone to an NFL Monday Night Football game - 5 months after my transplant - I have been to the NHL All Star Game - 8 months post transplant. I also started working at a BANK about 7-8 months after my surgery. All of those things people have either told me not too - I will also mention that my doctors have given me the All Clear to do each and every thing I have done post transplant - at least the ones mentioned above. Other patients have lectured me on how I am being reckless with my health basically by doing these things. I simply reply that I have yet to get sick with any issues post transplant so I am confident in how I take care of myself. I think that is what it boils down too. Do what you feel comfortable with and use your head. I still wear my mask around the house when my family members get sick - My fiance will wear a mask when he is sick as well as my parents and things like that if they are around me. There are definitely adjustments that must be made - BUT figure out what is important to you in your life and talk to your DOCTORS about how you can make those things fit into your new life in a healthy way. I have learned more often than not that patients though experienced are at times hyper paranoid and almost obsessive about their post transplant life. You will find a happy medium trust me - it will take some time I am sure but you will figure it out.

I also wanted to say that another thing everyone at my center told me to do was to get rid of our animals. We have 4 cats and a dog. The doctors didn't want me to keep them and the other patients said I would basically end up sick and dead if I didn't get rid of them. I talked to my nurse coordinator and my doctors about it because the idea of getting rid of any of our animals made me more sick than actually being sick. We talked about the dos and don'ts with the pets and things have worked out great. I have nothad any issues with them at all and we still have ALL of the pets we had before I had my transplant.

Just because people say you shouldn't do something or you should do something doesn't mean there are not ways to cater this new life to what you need and want in your life in general.

Take Care
Love Linds

coltsfan715

Hey there,

I just had to reply after reading your post. I was terrified after I had surgery to even so much as kiss my fiance. I was afraid that he would just give me back the CF germs I had pre transplant since we kissed before I had my transplant and all. I ended up talking to the doctor about it and they said there was no reason to be concerned.

I do NOT have kids so I can not say in that regard, but I don't see any reason why you can't be around your kids. I know a man that had a heart transplant at my center with 2 children - and one on the way (post transplant baby). He lived with his kids and dealt with his kids in the months right after his transplant. You have to be more careful YES - but there is no real reason to quarantine yourself UNLESS someone in your family is sick.

Just talk to your daughter and start teaching her NOW how to keep clean and to wash her hands and all properly. You might have to wear a mask for the first few months when you deal with her simply because she may be harboring germs from school but I think it is crazy to not be around your kid at all.

I will also say that since my transplant I have realized that EVERYONE post transplant has their hangups. Some people won't eat fruit or veggies, some won't EVER eat out, some can not stand in the least any crowded places others think that working is a bad idea and so on. I have also learned that for me personally - as I am sure you may find with yourself - I take baby steps. I test and try things out and see how I feel about the activity or place or situation. From there I decide if it is something I want to do or a situation I want to put myself in.

I have gone to Walt Disney World - the first time was only 4 months after my transplant - I have gone to an NFL Monday Night Football game - 5 months after my transplant - I have been to the NHL All Star Game - 8 months post transplant. I also started working at a BANK about 7-8 months after my surgery. All of those things people have either told me not too - I will also mention that my doctors have given me the All Clear to do each and every thing I have done post transplant - at least the ones mentioned above. Other patients have lectured me on how I am being reckless with my health basically by doing these things. I simply reply that I have yet to get sick with any issues post transplant so I am confident in how I take care of myself. I think that is what it boils down too. Do what you feel comfortable with and use your head. I still wear my mask around the house when my family members get sick - My fiance will wear a mask when he is sick as well as my parents and things like that if they are around me. There are definitely adjustments that must be made - BUT figure out what is important to you in your life and talk to your DOCTORS about how you can make those things fit into your new life in a healthy way. I have learned more often than not that patients though experienced are at times hyper paranoid and almost obsessive about their post transplant life. You will find a happy medium trust me - it will take some time I am sure but you will figure it out.

I also wanted to say that another thing everyone at my center told me to do was to get rid of our animals. We have 4 cats and a dog. The doctors didn't want me to keep them and the other patients said I would basically end up sick and dead if I didn't get rid of them. I talked to my nurse coordinator and my doctors about it because the idea of getting rid of any of our animals made me more sick than actually being sick. We talked about the dos and don'ts with the pets and things have worked out great. I have nothad any issues with them at all and we still have ALL of the pets we had before I had my transplant.

Just because people say you shouldn't do something or you should do something doesn't mean there are not ways to cater this new life to what you need and want in your life in general.

Take Care
Love Linds

coltsfan715

Hey there,

Take Care
Love Linds

coltsfan715

Hey there,

Take Care
Love Linds

coltsfan715

Hey there,
<br />
<br />I just had to reply after reading your post. I was terrified after I had surgery to even so much as kiss my fiance. I was afraid that he would just give me back the CF germs I had pre transplant since we kissed before I had my transplant and all. I ended up talking to the doctor about it and they said there was no reason to be concerned.
<br />
<br />I do NOT have kids so I can not say in that regard, but I don't see any reason why you can't be around your kids. I know a man that had a heart transplant at my center with 2 children - and one on the way (post transplant baby). He lived with his kids and dealt with his kids in the months right after his transplant. You have to be more careful YES - but there is no real reason to quarantine yourself UNLESS someone in your family is sick.
<br />
<br />Just talk to your daughter and start teaching her NOW how to keep clean and to wash her hands and all properly. You might have to wear a mask for the first few months when you deal with her simply because she may be harboring germs from school but I think it is crazy to not be around your kid at all.
<br />
<br />I will also say that since my transplant I have realized that EVERYONE post transplant has their hangups. Some people won't eat fruit or veggies, some won't EVER eat out, some can not stand in the least any crowded places others think that working is a bad idea and so on. I have also learned that for me personally - as I am sure you may find with yourself - I take baby steps. I test and try things out and see how I feel about the activity or place or situation. From there I decide if it is something I want to do or a situation I want to put myself in.
<br />
<br />I have gone to Walt Disney World - the first time was only 4 months after my transplant - I have gone to an NFL Monday Night Football game - 5 months after my transplant - I have been to the NHL All Star Game - 8 months post transplant. I also started working at a BANK about 7-8 months after my surgery. All of those things people have either told me not too - I will also mention that my doctors have given me the All Clear to do each and every thing I have done post transplant - at least the ones mentioned above. Other patients have lectured me on how I am being reckless with my health basically by doing these things. I simply reply that I have yet to get sick with any issues post transplant so I am confident in how I take care of myself. I think that is what it boils down too. Do what you feel comfortable with and use your head. I still wear my mask around the house when my family members get sick - My fiance will wear a mask when he is sick as well as my parents and things like that if they are around me. There are definitely adjustments that must be made - BUT figure out what is important to you in your life and talk to your DOCTORS about how you can make those things fit into your new life in a healthy way. I have learned more often than not that patients though experienced are at times hyper paranoid and almost obsessive about their post transplant life. You will find a happy medium trust me - it will take some time I am sure but you will figure it out.
<br />
<br />I also wanted to say that another thing everyone at my center told me to do was to get rid of our animals. We have 4 cats and a dog. The doctors didn't want me to keep them and the other patients said I would basically end up sick and dead if I didn't get rid of them. I talked to my nurse coordinator and my doctors about it because the idea of getting rid of any of our animals made me more sick than actually being sick. We talked about the dos and don'ts with the pets and things have worked out great. I have nothad any issues with them at all and we still have ALL of the pets we had before I had my transplant.
<br />
<br />Just because people say you shouldn't do something or you should do something doesn't mean there are not ways to cater this new life to what you need and want in your life in general.
<br />
<br />Take Care
<br />Love Linds