FEV 1, Exercise (eliptical machine), Pulmonary Hypertension.

idajune

So, I have a question about reading FEV1. The printout says 35% then there is the post dilator (albuterol) it says +12%, does this mean that the 35% is before the albuterol but post albuterol the number is 47%, or is that 35% after dilator? How does that work.

Also, I just bought a super cool eliptical machine wihch so far I feel lucky to make 10 minutes on without my heart wanting to pop out my lungs. Any thoughts on how to ease into its use? and increase my stamina. I have been using a stepper, and walking, but this is more exercise then Ihave ever had.

Now the confusing part. Three weeks ago my DH and I went to see a high risk OB doc about having a baby. My numbers as you can tell by above post are low, so he was very negative, you know talking about dying, yada, yada. And we left there knowing that we would have to chose an alternate route, so we are thinking gestational carrier. Anyway he had me go through some tests, ECHO, ECG. Now I find out I might have Pulmonary Hypertension, test to be done Jan. 4. Today we went back to OB doc and we said we have accepted how things are and we would like to pursue other routes to become parents, and he looked at us like we had three heads between us both. He literally hurried out of the room, said he had to talk to his colleagues, then comes back and says well, we can't really say until we know about the Pulmo Hyp. He also commented on how strong we were, guess that comes with the CF territory. My husband and I are just plain confused, three weeks ago he left me crying leaving the office, and now he seems wishy washy. So what now, he is giving me hope pending the Pulmonary Hyp, issue. UGH. If I were to have a baby I sure would get another doc.

But anyway we decided it wasn't worth hurting me further to have a baby, just for me to experience pregnancy. We want to be a family, and I want to enjoy all of it.

Anyone know or have Pulmonary Hypertension? All info leaves me a bit scared.

Thanks for reading!!

idajune

So, I have a question about reading FEV1. The printout says 35% then there is the post dilator (albuterol) it says +12%, does this mean that the 35% is before the albuterol but post albuterol the number is 47%, or is that 35% after dilator? How does that work.

Also, I just bought a super cool eliptical machine wihch so far I feel lucky to make 10 minutes on without my heart wanting to pop out my lungs. Any thoughts on how to ease into its use? and increase my stamina. I have been using a stepper, and walking, but this is more exercise then Ihave ever had.

Now the confusing part. Three weeks ago my DH and I went to see a high risk OB doc about having a baby. My numbers as you can tell by above post are low, so he was very negative, you know talking about dying, yada, yada. And we left there knowing that we would have to chose an alternate route, so we are thinking gestational carrier. Anyway he had me go through some tests, ECHO, ECG. Now I find out I might have Pulmonary Hypertension, test to be done Jan. 4. Today we went back to OB doc and we said we have accepted how things are and we would like to pursue other routes to become parents, and he looked at us like we had three heads between us both. He literally hurried out of the room, said he had to talk to his colleagues, then comes back and says well, we can't really say until we know about the Pulmo Hyp. He also commented on how strong we were, guess that comes with the CF territory. My husband and I are just plain confused, three weeks ago he left me crying leaving the office, and now he seems wishy washy. So what now, he is giving me hope pending the Pulmonary Hyp, issue. UGH. If I were to have a baby I sure would get another doc.

But anyway we decided it wasn't worth hurting me further to have a baby, just for me to experience pregnancy. We want to be a family, and I want to enjoy all of it.

Thanks for reading!!

idajune

Thanks for reading!!

idajune

Thanks for reading!!

idajune

Thanks for reading!!

Skye

Sarah,
If you have a 12% increase after albuterol, you might have some unresolved asthma issues. From what I understand, if you get more than a 10% benefit from broncho dilators, you have some asthma issues. That being said, you may benefit from something like advair that works at keeping you open all day. Just a thought. I know pulmonary hypertension is not something to mess around with. Sorry I can't be more specific. You are doing the right thing by asking a lot of questions and weighing your options. I am assuming you go to a CF center. They should be able to answer a lot of your concerns. Work at keeping those lungs clear! Wishing all the best to you and your husband!

Skye

Sarah,
If you have a 12% increase after albuterol, you might have some unresolved asthma issues. From what I understand, if you get more than a 10% benefit from broncho dilators, you have some asthma issues. That being said, you may benefit from something like advair that works at keeping you open all day. Just a thought. I know pulmonary hypertension is not something to mess around with. Sorry I can't be more specific. You are doing the right thing by asking a lot of questions and weighing your options. I am assuming you go to a CF center. They should be able to answer a lot of your concerns. Work at keeping those lungs clear! Wishing all the best to you and your husband!

Skye

Sarah,

Skye

Sarah,

Skye

Sarah,

coltsfan715

Hi Sarah,

I just wanted to put this out there in regards to the pulmonary hypertension. I would NOT be surprised if they reccomended that you start using O2 IF yo do indeed have pulmonary hypertension. The reason behind it is this - your heart is enlarging to compensate for your lungs. The heart is pumping harder and doing extra work in order to get O2 to the rest of your body - well the proper amounts of O2 that is. With your using O2 it would help reduce the work that your heart has to do, not to mention it would help your other organs.

Also the Pulmonary Hypertension thing could explain why your heart feels like it wants to blow out your chest when you exercise.

I had pulmonary hypertension before I had my transplant. I was told that if I did not start using my O2 full time (or continue using it full time as I was on it fulltime due to a hospital stay and infection) that I would run the risk of not only needing a lung transplant but a heart transplant as well. Needless to say I continued using the O2 full time. Before Tx me resting heart rate was about 125ish - now it is about 80 sometimes lower.

I didn't to freak you out with the hypertension and O2 thing - and for all I know you may already be on O2, but I wanted to put that out there.

I also want to commend you on making a smart decision in regards to your health and having a baby. Like I told my fiance there are ways around my having a child if we really wanted to have one. They also reccomended I NOT have kids post tx for several reasons.

Take Care and Good Luck with the tests.
Lindsey

coltsfan715

Hi Sarah,

I just wanted to put this out there in regards to the pulmonary hypertension. I would NOT be surprised if they reccomended that you start using O2 IF yo do indeed have pulmonary hypertension. The reason behind it is this - your heart is enlarging to compensate for your lungs. The heart is pumping harder and doing extra work in order to get O2 to the rest of your body - well the proper amounts of O2 that is. With your using O2 it would help reduce the work that your heart has to do, not to mention it would help your other organs.

Also the Pulmonary Hypertension thing could explain why your heart feels like it wants to blow out your chest when you exercise.

I had pulmonary hypertension before I had my transplant. I was told that if I did not start using my O2 full time (or continue using it full time as I was on it fulltime due to a hospital stay and infection) that I would run the risk of not only needing a lung transplant but a heart transplant as well. Needless to say I continued using the O2 full time. Before Tx me resting heart rate was about 125ish - now it is about 80 sometimes lower.

I didn't to freak you out with the hypertension and O2 thing - and for all I know you may already be on O2, but I wanted to put that out there.

I also want to commend you on making a smart decision in regards to your health and having a baby. Like I told my fiance there are ways around my having a child if we really wanted to have one. They also reccomended I NOT have kids post tx for several reasons.

Lindsey

coltsfan715

Hi Sarah,

Lindsey

coltsfan715

Hi Sarah,

Lindsey

coltsfan715

Hi Sarah,

Lindsey

kybert

on the eliptical issue, thats normal. it takes A LOT more energy to use an eliptical x trainer than it does to walk/step/whatever. youve actually done really well to do 10 minutes. 5 minutes and im dead! i actually avoid it now. it exhausts me too much. i always think 'wtf' when i see people use the things for 30 minutes!

kybert

on the eliptical issue, thats normal. it takes A LOT more energy to use an eliptical x trainer than it does to walk/step/whatever. youve actually done really well to do 10 minutes. 5 minutes and im dead! i actually avoid it now. it exhausts me too much. i always think 'wtf' when i see people use the things for 30 minutes!

kybert

kybert

kybert