First PICC line ever -- panicking

ethan508

@welshwitch; Were you able to work some? Or did you have to take time off? Was your employer understanding?

Glad you're feeling better.

W

windex125

good for you, read all the previous replies and feel the same as they all do, and get that feeling out of yr head abt the beg. of the end I felt that as well with my picc's but then years later had to get a double port put in I was getting sick every couple of mts and the veins were not doing so well. yes, I did freak out for a few mts... but ive had my port more than 10 yrs now its been good to me. I turned 60 last december, get those negative feelings right out of yr head girl you got a lot of living to do, and yr.postive attiude is the most important.
Pat-60/CF

W

welshwitch

Yes, a positive attitude is KEY to dealing with things like PICC lines. I've been struggling with this but next time around I will be much less stressed, I hope. Now that I know what to expect.

Ethan, this happened at a weird point in my employment -- I was working a 3 month contract/consulting gig that was just wrapping up when this all went down. So I was able to graciously bow out a week or so early with no problems. However, had this been a permanent, full time job, I am confident that I would have been able to deal with this. I would have been out a few days with what I now believe was pneumonia, and then back at work with a working PICC line. The toughest part is the med infusion schedule, but I would have just worked around that, doing the IV at work if I had to. Sounds crazy but after doing a PICC line by myself for over a week now I could do it in my sleep. Tricky part would be the "I need a private room to do an IV for 30 minutes a day" conversation with my employer. A bridge to cross when I get there.

W

welshwitch

Thank you Pat! Means so much to hear from folks who have been around the block a few more times than me :)