First stay, does it get any easier?

MamaBear5604

Seeing our 7 week old daughter attached to machines is a bit unerving to say the least...does it get any easier after the first initial stay? Any tips for making the stay easier?

MamaBear5604

Seeing our 7 week old daughter attached to machines is a bit unerving to say the least...does it get any easier after the first initial stay? Any tips for making the stay easier?

myohmymary

Yes, the stays get easier. The ins and outs and coping becomes routine. The seeing our kids in pain, does not. My Allissa is 7 now. She was diagnosed at 5 days and spent 6 months in the hospital. It was hell and I can barely remember it. My advice to you, is be vigilent, but let the nurses take the night shift. Get rest and take care of you so that you can be there for her. As she gets older, independent and vocal the hardships still exist, they just change. Get to know the nurses, Respiratory therapists, even the janitors. Allissa was in the same care center for 7 yrs, (we just changed to find a center better suited for her sinus issues). Knowing the people, the hospital, the ins and outs made life easier and functional while we were admitted. She is admitted for the first time currently in her new care center and it never gets easier. For future admissions, keep a page with all meds, schedules, feeding patterns, likes dislikes and general ins and outs of your child. ask for the same nurse/s if possible, (they will know you and your child and better be able to help), don't be afraid to say no to doctors, nurses, staff, anyone, you are mom, be informed and follow your gut. Write everything down and bring a laptop or use a hospital computer to research what you are told, if nothing else, ask here and see what other families have done. Make the room colorful and cheery, if all else fails, at least your baby has a colorful environment, I found this made my daughter happy and in turn helped me. I bought my daughter an elephant that has since become her hospital security blanket. I am typing this next to her hospital bed and its tucked under her arm (7 yrs later).

myohmymary

Yes, the stays get easier. The ins and outs and coping becomes routine. The seeing our kids in pain, does not. My Allissa is 7 now. She was diagnosed at 5 days and spent 6 months in the hospital. It was hell and I can barely remember it. My advice to you, is be vigilent, but let the nurses take the night shift. Get rest and take care of you so that you can be there for her. As she gets older, independent and vocal the hardships still exist, they just change. Get to know the nurses, Respiratory therapists, even the janitors. Allissa was in the same care center for 7 yrs, (we just changed to find a center better suited for her sinus issues). Knowing the people, the hospital, the ins and outs made life easier and functional while we were admitted. She is admitted for the first time currently in her new care center and it never gets easier. For future admissions, keep a page with all meds, schedules, feeding patterns, likes dislikes and general ins and outs of your child. ask for the same nurse/s if possible, (they will know you and your child and better be able to help), don't be afraid to say no to doctors, nurses, staff, anyone, you are mom, be informed and follow your gut. Write everything down and bring a laptop or use a hospital computer to research what you are told, if nothing else, ask here and see what other families have done. Make the room colorful and cheery, if all else fails, at least your baby has a colorful environment, I found this made my daughter happy and in turn helped me. I bought my daughter an elephant that has since become her hospital security blanket. I am typing this next to her hospital bed and its tucked under her arm (7 yrs later).