FLU - Should I or Shouldn't I?

pjspiegle

Ok, I see lots of concern and I have been debating myself all day long on whether or not I should or shouldn't call Nathan's doctor to find out if I should be keeping him out of school until this passes. Do any of you know what the CF Centers are recommending? Is that just being way over protective? He is 15 but he also catches anything going around. I can't decide if it is the mom in me or the nurse in me or just a gut instinct that has me thinking I should be keeping him home. On the other hand, he has already missed so much school for tune-ups this year, which might just be one good reason for keeping him home too.

What are you guys doing about school? Does anyone have any confirmed cases where they live? We have 2 so far that I know of.

pjspiegle

Ok, I see lots of concern and I have been debating myself all day long on whether or not I should or shouldn't call Nathan's doctor to find out if I should be keeping him out of school until this passes. Do any of you know what the CF Centers are recommending? Is that just being way over protective? He is 15 but he also catches anything going around. I can't decide if it is the mom in me or the nurse in me or just a gut instinct that has me thinking I should be keeping him home. On the other hand, he has already missed so much school for tune-ups this year, which might just be one good reason for keeping him home too.

What are you guys doing about school? Does anyone have any confirmed cases where they live? We have 2 so far that I know of.

pjspiegle

pjspiegle

pjspiegle

<br />
<br />What are you guys doing about school? Does anyone have any confirmed cases where they live? We have 2 so far that I know of.

just1more

Patty, depending on where you are (sorry can't remember) I might keep him home.

At this point, I would err on the side of caution, for fear that being 'logical' would lead where I would never forgive myself for.

Just my $0.02 worth.

just1more

At this point, I would err on the side of caution, for fear that being 'logical' would lead where I would never forgive myself for.

Just my $0.02 worth.

just1more

Just my $0.02 worth.

just1more

Just my $0.02 worth.

just1more

<br />
<br />At this point, I would err on the side of caution, for fear that being 'logical' would lead where I would never forgive myself for.
<br />
<br />Just my $0.02 worth.

Ratatosk

Administrator
Staff member
I know of a parent who take her child out of school during the winter months once the flu season starts, but I know others who go to the same CF Center who don't do so.

With DS, when there's been a flu case diagnosed in his preschool class or if we've been exposed to influenza -- last year DH and I both went to meetings and sat next to someone who had Influenza A, then DS and/or all of us have been put on tamiflu.

Can you speak with the school nurse or admin to see what's going around the school?

Ratatosk

Administrator
Staff member
I know of a parent who take her child out of school during the winter months once the flu season starts, but I know others who go to the same CF Center who don't do so.

With DS, when there's been a flu case diagnosed in his preschool class or if we've been exposed to influenza -- last year DH and I both went to meetings and sat next to someone who had Influenza A, then DS and/or all of us have been put on tamiflu.

Can you speak with the school nurse or admin to see what's going around the school?

Ratatosk

Administrator
Staff member

Ratatosk

Administrator
Staff member

Ratatosk

Administrator
Staff member
<br />
<br />With DS, when there's been a flu case diagnosed in his preschool class or if we've been exposed to influenza -- last year DH and I both went to meetings and sat next to someone who had Influenza A, then DS and/or all of us have been put on tamiflu.
<br />
<br />Can you speak with the school nurse or admin to see what's going around the school?

sdavis227

I think this is a decision that is totally up to you.

I'm going crazy myself over this. I'm keeping my non-cfer from school in fear that he would bring it back to DS. I have heard that the amount of time that you can be carrying around this flu and the time you start getting symptoms can be 4-7 days.

DS isn't doing well already and I wouldn't want to have him catch anything else right now that could complicate things even more.

sdavis227

I'm going crazy myself over this. I'm keeping my non-cfer from school in fear that he would bring it back to DS. I have heard that the amount of time that you can be carrying around this flu and the time you start getting symptoms can be 4-7 days.

DS isn't doing well already and I wouldn't want to have him catch anything else right now that could complicate things even more.

sdavis227

sdavis227

sdavis227

<br />
<br />I'm going crazy myself over this. I'm keeping my non-cfer from school in fear that he would bring it back to DS. I have heard that the amount of time that you can be carrying around this flu and the time you start getting symptoms can be 4-7 days.
<br />
<br />DS isn't doing well already and I wouldn't want to have him catch anything else right now that could complicate things even more.