flying with CF medical equipment

S

sasha

Hi all. I'll be flying internationally in a few weeks! I once flew with cf stuff before, but I cannot remember it, it was so long ago. My question is...do you take your vest as a carry on? Does it fit? Is it a hassle to get it through security? And what about the nebulizers and vials of liquid meds? Is there a special way to pack them? I'm flying Delta, if that helps at all.
I'll be doing a lot of my own research on it, but I just wanted to hear others' experiences. Thanks!

Hi Sasha! My son takes his vest (it is the smaller one) as a carry-on. It is a hassle to get it through security but not at every airport. He also takes his nebulizers in his suitcase as a "checked" luggage. He has a letter from his CF doctor that tells every medicine he has and he also always takes each medicine in the box it comes in that has his prescription for that medicine on the box. Icepacks can be put in checked luggage for your medicines. I would not put your vest in the checked luggage as my son has done that before and the Vest received some outward damage. They literally throw the luggage into the cargo hold. I would also be sure to take any medicines you may need for your trip and as many as you can in your carry-on. If your luggage gets "lost" by the airline you will need to have it still. Good luck and have fun on your trip!

Last edited:

imported_Momto2

Yep, pretty much what believingjesus said. Security has always seemed surprisingly laid back about medical stuff, but I always travel with my husband and two children. Do not be surprised if you are pulled aside for a more "thorough" evaluation, especially if you are traveling alone. I have never had any issues with getting equipment or script meds through. However, stuff like Tussin CF cough liquid, they will often not let through since it is a liquid and not script. Have a great trip!

Aboveallislove

Super Moderator
Hi all. I'll be flying internationally in a few weeks! I once flew with cf stuff before, but I cannot remember it, it was so long ago. My question is...do you take your vest as a carry on? Does it fit? Is it a hassle to get it through security? And what about the nebulizers and vials of liquid meds? Is there a special way to pack them? I'm flying Delta, if that helps at all.
I'll be doing a lot of my own research on it, but I just wanted to hear others' experiences. Thanks!

Hey Sasha,
We don't really travel, but if we did, I'd likely get the disposable nebulizers like they use in a hospital to make it easier. Let me know if you are interested and want more info.

Ratatosk

Administrator
Staff member
Noexcuses who used to post on this site, travelled overseas extensively and blogged about it -- vest, meds, type of carryon she used. We've traveled to Mexico and within the states.

Vest comes with a rolling bag, which we carry on. Then I place a small nebulizer, some neb cups, medications, as well as a small lunch bag cooler with a pharmacy grade icepack in a backpack for carry-on. I buy disposable neb cups in bulk and put those in our checked bag, just making sure I have spares in the carry-on in case something happens. Most times the vest has fit in the overhead compartment, smaller planes I've had to put it on the floor under the seat in front of one of us.

lovemyboy507

We travel internationally every couple of months with our 2.5 year old CF son (twins one with one without!). My advice is call the airline before you fly and check with them that they will take the compressor. we had one airline try and refuse the compressor due to the weight and wanted proof it didn't have an internal battery so now we always call ahead, and take a letter from our CF unit. We carry nebs in hand luggage as have had bags not turn up, we also always make sure we have more meds than we need having been stuck in a country two weeks longer than we expected. Also if possible we try and locate a CF center near where we are staying just in case (maybe overkill but as he's so young and we are still getting into the CF groove I prefer to be prepared)
Take all meds in one clear bag if you can and tell security as soon as you get there, I have learnt to ignore their rudeness and the extra checks as I'm sure their job is a pretty thankless one! Go travel have fun! Oh take Clorox wipes for the plane and don't be afraid to wear a mask if that makes you feel more relaxed. :) happy to help if you have any other travel questions!

Rosie55

We have never had trouble carrying my daughter's CF stuff but at some airports we've gotten a thorough check of our luggage and others just let us right through. You should definitely keep medication in their prescription containers to avoid hassles. Having lost luggage we've checked before (thankfully no meds in it) I would recommend that all your CF related items should be carry-on. It took them a week to get our luggage back to us and I know others that have had that same experience.

D

Dank

I've flown with a lot of airlines over the past few years and cross country in the states with no issues with my nebuliser in my carry on.