Flying with vest

NateJS345

Hello all,
I am planning on visiting my sister around Christmas, and am planning to fly. I have never flown with my vest equipment. How do you work with the airlines to get this on with you? What kind of flight suggestions do you have? Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Jana

I fly with mine at least a couple of times a year and have never had much trouble. I do carry a note from my doctor but have only actually had to produce it once, and that was for an international flight. I think the rules may be different internationally, and they gave me quite a hard time because of the weight of the machine.

Anyway, getting through security is a bit of a pain due to all of the equipment, and they always examine it. If anyone asks me in security or at the gate about my extra luggage, I just say, "It's medical," and that's usually the end of it. Once a lady got quite ugly with me, laughing and saying, "Right--ALL of that is medical?!" She backed off pretty quickly when I started explaining what it was and reminded her that I'm allowed to carry all medical luggage. I think they're generally not inclined to give you a hard time since they could find themselves in a lot of trouble if they were wrong.

I usually do pre-board. That's a little embarrassing since I look perfectly healthy, but it's much easier than bumping into everyone with my equipment during general boarding and then having to find a place to put it all.

Hope that helps. Have a great trip!

Beccamom

I flew with my vest Tuesday and I am currently driving to the airport today. My advice is to ensure you book a flight on a larger flight. Avoid express planes because their over head bins are too small. I bring a clear plastic bag so if needed I can take the vest compressor out of the bag and place it under the seat in front of me, then I use the bag for the vest hoses etc. This week I had to take the compressor out of the bag and wished I had a bag to put it on so it didn't touch the security bin. One time I was asked to assemble the vest because the TSA agents never saw it before. I also ask TSA to put on new gloves because this is medical equipment.

I fly with mine at least a couple of times a year and have never had much trouble. I do carry a note from my doctor but have only actually had to produce it once, and that was for an international flight. I think the rules may be different internationally, and they gave me quite a hard time because of the weight of the machine.

Anyway, getting through security is a bit of a pain due to all of the equipment, and they always examine it. If anyone asks me in security or at the gate about my extra luggage, I just say, "It's medical," and that's usually the end of it. Once a lady got quite ugly with me, laughing and saying, "Right--ALL of that is medical?!" She backed off pretty quickly when I started explaining what it was and reminded her that I'm allowed to carry all medical luggage. I think they're generally not inclined to give you a hard time since they could find themselves in a lot of trouble if they were wrong.

I usually do pre-board. That's a little embarrassing since I look perfectly healthy, but it's much easier than bumping into everyone with my equipment during general boarding and then having to find a place to put it all.

Hope that helps. Have a great trip!

H

hammerpocket

Two things not to do: (1) Don't make the mistake I once made and refer to the vest machine as a "compressor." That seemed to set off alarm bells amongst the baggage check-in attendants. They thought it held compressed air I think.

(2) If you are on a busy flight and the flight attendants think they will run out of overhead space, they will start asking people to check bags at the gate. Don't do that. Just say "It's medical," (as Jana said above) and they shouldn't bother you.

Here's what happened to me: My previous experience with gate-check was with strollers, which the baggage crew packs last and puts back on the jetway for you to pick up as you exit at your destination. So I said, "Sure." :eek: But it turns out bags are thrown around and sent to baggage claim with everything else. I didn't notice anything until I opened my bag that night to find my vest machine had partially broken apart at the seams! When I turned it on it made a horrible grinding sound. And because this is not my "official" machine, I could not call Hill-Rom for help. Lucky for me, I had recently discovered that Sears stores usually stock the 6-inch T15 Torx screwdriver needed to open up the machine and I was able to get it together enough for it to work.

zaj1139

My grandson and I had a heck of a time in ATL. Reason being when they placed the wand over it - it set off all kinds of bells and whistles. This was because of some med. residue. I was told to wipe the compressor down with rubbing alcohol, which I did and had no problem coming back.

tindim1

We just returned from Florida yesterday. It was an adventure with the old vest which weighs 35 lbs. As Beccamom mentioned try to book a larger flight. It fit in the overhead on the way down to Florida on both flights but bench pressing 35 lbs overhead was not a lot of fun. On the way back it was stored in a closet on the first flight and buckled into its own seat on the second. Do not let them put it with the strollers as it gets thrown around. I purchased a luggage trolley for it and that worked well.

hstaloch

I have done quite a bit of traveling with my vest and nebulizer, and I hate to say it but it can be frustrating. Technically, the vest shouldn't count as one of your 2 carry on bags (as it is medical equipment) but airline employees oftentimes, a) don't believe me, or b) aren't familiar with this regulation (?). When you check in, you may be asked to check your "extra" bag (vest), so I usually try to explain ahead of time that I'm traveling with medical equipment, although sometimes this just makes it a bigger deal than necessary. The actual security has always been very understanding. You will have to do extra screening for the vest (sometimes the nebulizer). I usually try to plan for a little extra time, because I know it'll take a bit longer as they have to run the machine through again, ask you what it's for, test for explosives, etc. I think these staff members are usually pretty understanding because they see all sorts of medical devices coming through, at least that's what one told me once (i.e pacemakers, oxygen, etc.). When you board your flight, you may be asked about your bag again, as well as when you're actually on the plane, sometimes a flight attendant will try to swoop in and tell me I have one too many bags. However, once you get it in the overhead compartment (sometimes a nice guy or lady will help you hoist it in there!) you are done with dealing with the questions and the bother of flying with your machine!

What I have noticed, is that airports outside of the United States are very understanding, and I've never run into any problems (except once in Brazil trying to explain what my nebulizer was to a security personnel and another time getting home and realizing they had confiscated vials of pulmozyme and hypertonic in Turks and Caicos!). The contrast was very apparent flying from Buenos Aires to Newark - the people in BSAS airport were wonderful, very understanding about my medical equipment (didn't make a big deal out of it whatsoever). Almost immediately upon landing in Newark I was (not to sound dramatic) harassed for my "extra" bag as I was entering the line for security. When I explained that it was medical equipment, the lady rolled her eyes and called over another staff member, and told her I was "claiming" (she actually used quotations) that I had medical equipment. She ended up letting me through, and as I continued in the line, there were a few people who asked me if I really did have medical equipment...! It's interesting-- when I fly alone or with a friend, I am more likely to run into troubles, however, if I'm with my mom (I'm 21) it is pretty much smooth sailing. Not sure why this is, but I assume I'm just taken a bit more seriously with my mom there.

Has anyone else experienced problems? I strongly believe the airlines need to make some changes in regards to the treatment of those carrying medical equipment because if I (and others) have frequently experienced issues, I would imagine we are not the only subset of those traveling with medical devices who are treated poorly.

Don't let this deter you from traveling, though! You will be able to travel with it, and if you run into problems, just calmly explain the device, etc. and have confidence in the fact that, legally, you are able to fly with your vest!

Beccamom

I just returned from Florida with my vest and this time I had a skin it on the vest that I chose the pictures for myself. I have pictures of my children, a family picture including myself, husband, and kids as well as CF awareness ribbons. The security guard said these are cute pictures and I replied with I look at these pictures to remind myself why I dedicate an hour a day straped to this machine to live longer for my family. We got through security the fastest ever. Maybe the skin it could help others explain the vest too. Best wishes for all the travelers.

Jana

What a great idea! Once I was going through security with my vest when a lady working there said, "Hey! Is that an airway clearance device?"

It was quite shocking since usually they are all asking me what on earth it is. At my surprised response, she said, "I recently read a book about a person with. . ." (here she realized she was about to blurt it out in front of everyone) ". . .a disease for which they had to use one."

It was pretty funny and definitely different than my usual experience.

Doglover

My daughter flys frequently, she has flown at least four times since last month and she always checks her vest. She does not want to deal with it because it is too heavy to lift into overhead. It is not charged, all she says is it is medical and she has never been questioned. The only incident was two or three years ago the front plate popped off a little after a flight, it still worked fine, and Hill Rom just sent a new one.

Ratatosk

Administrator
Staff member
We've flown quite a few times with DS' Vest Hill Rom 104. The rolling bag fits in most overhead bins and the one tiny plane it didn't fit in, it fit underneath the seat in front of DS. We've only had problems at our small local airport -- once with a nebulizer, which they had us unpack and turn on. The other was with the vest label on the back of the machine indicating one shouldn't use it with inhaled anesthetics as it could be a fire hazard -- noticed there's a similar message on our new mobilaire compressor. I usually carry a doctor's note, but never have had to use it.

We travel with the vest bag, a backpack containing meds, including a small lunchbag cooler with refridgerated meds and the nebulizer with neb cups and a small messenger bag that contains my purse, ipad, ereader and some magazines/books. So even though it counts as medical equipment and isn't counted toward the carryon allowance, we never have more than 3 carry on bags. I would NEVER check the vest. I've heard of people getting theirs lost and/or damaged.

I try to use disposable neb cups when we go on vacation, so I'm not wasting time sterilizing them in a hotel room. I pack the majority of those in my luggage, but keep a couple in my carry on as well as a reuseable one, just in case.