For people taking Orkambi

J

Jswans

You need to quit man... it doesn't get better.. I was on it for 2 years thinkin the same thing you did... it never got better.. when I started I was at 69%. I didn't have any energy or desire to do anything once I started taking orkambi...out of breath just from moving around in bed. Within a month my pfts went down to 58% and kept dropping. The lowest I got to was 48%. Tried ivs thinking maybe it was lung infections or something. Still once I was done, still no change..I even tried a prescription inhaler to try to help the tightness and it worked but on for a few hours.... finally a month before the drug gets approve I took myself off and in 3 to 4 days I started feeling better instantly.. just did pfts last week and they are up to 75%. That drug is a joke.. it might work for some but a very very small few.. I recommend anyone that has giving it a try for 2-3 weeks to just take yourself off of it. Im just not convinced it's magically going to start working... the only benefit it gave me is realize how good I was without it.... there are better drugs coming

saintoffeon

My tether doesn't last two years...but it seems from reading accounts here and on Twitter and Reddit, that just massively tons of people got their ass kicked for at least the first few weeks....and then, for those that did get better, things turned around(ish) at that point.

I'd like to at least take it as far as what most people had to deal with. Some people say a month, one guy posted a video where he said six months of next to no difference, but not worse, and then POOF it lifted...

I have no idea how my personal physical variables play into things, so I just have to find out for myself.

I don't want to spend the rest of my life dying worse than I was before, though, so I'll call it quits when I just can't take it anymore.

Right now I feel improvements in terms of things like inflammation and pain in almost everywhere that isn't my lungs....so I am going to choose to be hopeful for at least a little while longer that the lungs will eventually follow suit.

Holy hell, though, I am amazed that it could lighten up within just a few days of being off. It seems to disturb so much.

Gammaw

Super Moderator
Jswans - thanks for your post. Do you know if you were on the currently recommended dosage? Or were you in a trial with an unknown dosage? Just wondering . . . . looking for those variables!

Gammaw

Super Moderator
Saintoffeon. Heaven bless. You're having a really hard time and we so appreciate your posts. Has your team given you any opinion on all this? Have you talked to Vertex to ask about your side effects and what they might anticipate as the future course? Here's praying things get better fast . . . .

imported_Momto2

jswans, couldnt agree with you more. I took it for 5 weeks, been off for 3 weeks and I am still trying to get my feet back under me. Have you read the FDA report on the drug? I dont understand why folks arent talking more about the fact the drug only really helps about 40% of people, doesnt do squat for a lot of folks, and really hurts others. Had I known that it could have the potential to drop my FEV1 15% (which it did, but thankfully not that much permanantly) I would have gotten my a$$ off of it much sooner. I think the problem is that folks with CF are SO used to fighting and sucking it up through tough times, and having to live on daily doses of hope, that we forget to use our common sense and recognize that something we have put so much hope into, is actually hurting us. Not saying this for everyone obviously, but for me, this was the case. The reported percentages of people who have side effects and other issue from this drug DO NOT seem to match up with what I am hearing from my clinic and various web boards. Frankly, it pisses me off.

J

Jswans

I did... I read the report and transcripts from the link you or somebody else posted a week or two back... very interesting stuff.. the bottom line is they were passing that drug no matter what the records showed.. they put alot of money into it and lobbied hard for it.. they had to get something back.. just work out if you can and know that alot of good stuff is in the pipeline that will be here in no time....

Gammaw

Super Moderator
Genotype alone is not a predictor of phenotype. Not all people with the same genetic mutations have the same symptoms or disease course as others with that genetic mutation. This has been documented for years. So those taking the same drug will not respond in a manner that's identical to others on that drug, even though they have the same mutations - whether it's an antibiotic, anti-inflammatory, or any other class of treatment. Vertex was clear that not all people with DD508F would respond to Orkambi. But it improved lung function and decreased exacerbations in 41% of those with DD508F. There are many on this thread that have benefitted and I celebrate their success. What joy that 41% has experienced. For both the successes and the failures, it's important to see the course of their treatment and improvements, to see the side effects and reactions they have in order to know what others, or you, might experience. It's important to fellow posters, lurkers, and I dare say even Vertex and other health care providers who are committed enough to visit our forums. We all need to learn from failures as well. And I can not imagine how disheartening it is to those with DD508F that cannot tolerate Orkambi. I don't want to sound like a broken record. But I see the progress made in CF over the recent years to be astronomical. Amazing. Hopeful. Better than the vast majority of other diseases out there even with much more money being thrown at them. And I remain ever hopeful that my little heart strings, my 10 year old magical boy, with only one copy of D508F, can and will benefit from the snowballing research and treatment surrounding CF.

Here is one explanation for the differences being experienced and more of the near magical scientific research which will contribute to the treatment and potential cure of CF for all genotypes, all phenotypes. An international research team has spent years trying to uncover those modifiers, and has identified "five genetic regions implicated in cystic fibrosis severity". Keep posting. Let us know what you are experiencing on Orkambi. We need everyone's input. Are you on Orkambi? Have you shared your experience with us? Please do.

http://cysticfibrosisnewstoday.com/...-regions-implicated-cystic-fibrosis-severity/

Does anyone know if there FVC changed at all while using Orkambi? I have been on Orkambi for about 6 1/2 weeks now. Two days before I stared, my fev1 was at 24% and my FVC was at 34% but even than was down just a bit from my April visit which was FEV1-27% and FVC-40%. But at my last visit, my FEV1 had dropped a bit more down to 20% but my FVC actually increased to 43%. I have still been feeling a bit more short of breath than what I had been feeling but mainly with activity. The doctor does think the medication is working because my FVC increased even though my FEV1 declined. Just wondering if anyone else has seen an increase in FVC?

Julie

Cubs fan Brian

Just one week left in my second month on Orkambi and the really bad side effects have died down but I'm having a hard time with activity. I have to go pretty much in slow motion or else I end up getting light headed and need to sit down ASAP. At least once a week the digestive issues come back and I don't feel safe being very far from the toilet. Not sure how my FEV1 has been effected but it really doesn't feel like I'm having any improvement. I'll keep giving it a chance but so far it's not doing what I'd hoped.

saintoffeon

Saintoffeon. Heaven bless. You're having a really hard time and we so appreciate your posts. Has your team given you any opinion on all this? Have you talked to Vertex to ask about your side effects and what they might anticipate as the future course? Here's praying things get better fast . . . .

My team is actually just my pulmo office. They've been nice enough in trying to help facilitate me getting the meds, but his office got so big so quick, I think he's overwhelmed by his own expanded empire. As a result the hardworking office staff, in spite of their hard work, allows stuff to slip through the cracks sometimes because they're so flooded, and in some cases get testy and detached.

I'm fortunate that the one thing they figured out, after it being a first time for them to deal with a med like this, is the Orkambi, but I am a month and a half now post-followup without an antibiotic or even a bronchodilator.

But I have Orkambi, and I have my vest. It's a good pair to have.

My body is definitely rounding the corner. Still losing sleep, still coughing up blood here and there, appetite is back, and holy smithereens the shortness of breath. Just existing is like having run a few hundred feet.

I mentioned before seeing how many people said 3 weeks was it for them. That's the end of Friday for me, and the difference between today and middle of last week is the difference between hoping because it's all you have and hoping to preserve momentum =)

It makes me think it could work for me. That I could at least feel like I did before I started, and then perhaps comfortably know I was buying myself some extra time on Earth. It'd be ideal if I felt better, sure, but right now priority number one is feeling consistently non-sh--y. Relatively, anyway.

You're very sweet, by the way. I did talk to Vertex, but only because they missed their initial followup call. I gave him a huge rundown of all my experiences and they seemed appreciative. He said there was a branch within a branch that dealt with adverse reactions, and he wanted to note what I was saying and check in with my docs to make sure everyone was all on the same page. I mentioned being spooked about them painting doom and gloom and my doc trying to take me off of it, but he said they just keep tabs and don't overstate isolated incidences, especially when so many people are going belly up in the same ways on this stuff.

saintoffeon

Middle of Day 18

I feel like I need to interject early this time around.

In the interest of full disclosure, I stopped taking Pulmozyme about a week ago. I intend to get back on it as soon as possible, but the storage and cleaning conditions for my mouthpiece were not optimal and I think it was making me sicker.

With my pulmo office not getting me my bronchodilator or antibiotic, and without even my pain medicine, Orkambi and the vest are literally all I'm doing right now.

Also, twice since I started I took ibuprofen, which I normally don't, because I had that embolism years ago and they said Motrin would thin my blood. But the Orkambi lit says it might lessen the effects of ibuprofen, so I felt comfortable taking a little more to accomplish the job of a little less. I think it played into at least one of my bleeding episodes. Also, I was told once that overworking the lungs when they're in low function mode sometimes causes blood to back up into them to keep them from collapsing. A couple times I overexerted myself doing natural everyday things and I have to wonder how much of a role that played as well.

I had tried eating one of those melatonin chews from the drug store to help me sleep better a while back. I found them to be effective pre-Orkambi and didn't think anything of doing it again while on Orkambi.

The timing was SO close to when I was getting those infection-style feelings, I thought it might have played into it. I'm not so sure now: Last night, I knew I needed to sleep to heal, to get any sort of restorative function to climb out of this mess. I also had theorized that it making me want to nod off would kill off some of the "AAAH F--K ME" tense hyperventilating shortness of breath stuff. It was making me anxious and that made it even harder to breathe.

It played out really well last night. It didn't make anything infection-style come back, I got some decent sleep, and waking up in the middle of the night and for real, finally, in the morning, it did not feel as severe as the day before. Not attributing credit until I know where it's actually due, just happy to be farther from disaster with some of it.

That's the other thing. Florida sucks all summer long. It's inhospitable, at least in east central Florida where I am south of the Cape. The weather is getting decent and less humid and I am more finely tuned-in to the hows and whys of my breathing.

I think I mentioned before having a sense of how well or strong I was by the "heaviness" feeling in my limbs or how inflamed they are. Today, walking around, I still ran out of breath, but it took more effort to get to the same out of breath place. And even as bad as my breathing is, everywhere else I can TELL, even without pain meds, and even without EXERCISE, feels like it's rounding the corner. It feels healthy, it feels okay, it feels not strong (I'm not strengthening it) but flexible and light.

I feel like I may be on track to be like these 3 weeks + folks...

It's micromanaging to high heaven. These are some of the longest, most grueling days of my life. Like a weird, creepy preview of how hard things will be for me in 5-7 years, if I'm still alive.

But if it can just finally LIFT, like it seems like it wants to, I will consider myself the luckiest rat bastard on the face of the Earth.

CF in TX

First time posting here..

Actually found this site by researching how other people were reacting to Orkambi. As a preface, my FEV1 has plateaued around 43-46 for about 6-7 years now (I'm 27) and I VERY rarely dip below the 40 mark. I was trying to get into the trial a few years ago when I was fighting my insurance over covering Cayston... I ended up being off the inhaled antibiotic for nearly 2-3 months during this battle, dipped below the 40 threshold required to get into the trial, and so it has taken me literally years now to obtain Orkambi. And what a nightmare it has been. First, I couldn't get insurance to cover it.. took nearly 2.5 months for approval on that. And secondly, once I finally got insurance approval, the meds kicked my @$$ so hard in the first 72 hours of being on it, my doctor is already prescribing a reduced dosage.

As I have read from so many of you already, I could barely get myself out of bed, was having an awful time sleeping, and my breathing was extremely labored. The simple act of walking to the kitchen felt like the equivalent of when I would run in the morning.

I guess what I'm curious about is if anyone else has also weaned back off the primary dosage early on while trying to overcome the side effects and then ramped it back up later on?

Aboveallislove

Super Moderator
Welcome!
I am so sorry to hear of all your difficulties. Please do report back on how the weaning back works. I follow the research/posts pretty close and don't recall hearing of that other than a couple maybe who did half a dose, but not sure if the doctor's ordered or not. That said, the trials with Cystemine, which also acts to correct cftr in some unknown way has a ramp up protocol, which would be interesting to see how it would translate to Orcambi, and Kalydeco. I know Vertex is doing a <40 study now and will check later if they are using a ramp up (if it is available at clinicaltrials.gov). I actually had thought of doing the ramp up when DS starts (he's 6), by having it compounded into a liquid, so I'm really interested to see what others find. (Or if the pill can be cut? Anyone know that? I'd think if it can be compounded (I had asked pharmacy) that it could be cut?)
Good luck!

QUOTE=CF in TX;1049652]First time posting here..

Actually found this site by researching how other people were reacting to Orkambi. As a preface, my FEV1 has plateaued around 43-46 for about 6-7 years now (I'm 27) and I VERY rarely dip below the 40 mark. I was trying to get into the trial a few years ago when I was fighting my insurance over covering Cayston... I ended up being off the inhaled antibiotic for nearly 2-3 months during this battle, dipped below the 40 threshold required to get into the trial, and so it has taken me literally years now to obtain Orkambi. And what a nightmare it has been. First, I couldn't get insurance to cover it.. took nearly 2.5 months for approval on that. And secondly, once I finally got insurance approval, the meds kicked my @$$ so hard in the first 72 hours of being on it, my doctor is already prescribing a reduced dosage.

As I have read from so many of you already, I could barely get myself out of bed, was having an awful time sleeping, and my breathing was extremely labored. The simple act of walking to the kitchen felt like the equivalent of when I would run in the morning.

I guess what I'm curious about is if anyone else has also weaned back off the primary dosage early on while trying to overcome the side effects and then ramped it back up later on?[/QUOTE]

imported_Momto2

CF in texas- I took Orkambi for 5 week, then stopped. 1 week later I tried a single dose. It knocked me on my ass for almost a week. The reaction was even worse than the initial starting, like my body had time to build up antibodies or something. Now, 2 weeks after that single dose I am finally starting to feel normal, back to where I was in early August before I started this whole mess. I've had enough. I am very comfortable waiting for something better, that wont destroy my quality of life and drop my FEV1 significantly, to come along.

saintoffeon

the meds kicked my @$$ so hard in the first 72 hours of being on it, my doctor is already prescribing a reduced dosage.

Out of curiosity, how were you able to notify them? If I call and tell my doctor's office my skin is on fire and spider eggs are falling out of my tear ducts, they ask me to make an appointment for the following month.

I definitely definitely definitely got so, so worse before I got better (still on the way to good, so it's not like the process if finished or anything)...but I wonder if I should have kept in better touch for my own safety. I was so bad for a few days that I was having dark thoughts and wondering about what it would be like to be stuck for even just a few months at such a low spot...I didn't even consider the possibility of telling anyone about it though. I just assumed it was par for the course that everyone got bent over and reamed.