For people taking Orkambi

saintoffeon

Incidentally, regarding Day 26... For the first time since I started taking Orkambi, shortness of breath just wasn't an exceptional factor. No pain, got a LOT done, super productive at work. Still room to improve, because I had to catch my breath from some stuff, especially early on, but by the end of the night I did most of an exercise tape with free weights and very light, short cardio, and even danced to a couple music videos with my baby nephew.

As bizarre as it is to type this, today was probably the best I've felt physically in my whole adult life. It's the closest I've felt to not feelings like I have CF. I can't know what that's -really- like, but the relative jump from where I was before to now, it's that wide...it just didn't figure into my day at all, really. Certainly not to the degree that it used to (helps that there weren't any bleeds today).

Little bit of blood in the mucus. I can tell it's stewing around there, but that's all covered in part in my huge novel in the preceding post.

saintoffeon

Day 28

Gratefully, not a lot to report. It says something when shortness of breath is down to just isolated incidences you can identify. Especially when you have bronchiectasis. 15-20 secs top, maybe four times spread throughout the day.

Little bit of weakness and fatigue more than I've been used to in the past week, but exceptionally minor and wouldn't be noticeable had I not been feeling so well. For most it wouldn't register or show up on the radar because it's such a common part of the daily mix of crap feelings.

No bleeds, thankfully. Not much in the mucus, either.

I didn't move around a lot at work, so I had that braindead tired you get once I got home, but once I could rest (funny as it sounds) and get some proper food in me, address the pain, etc. I was good to go. The pain just just annoying, probably not pill-level, but it's been helping me smooth over the shortness of breath a bit, which I realize is "cheating" a bit, but I was doing pretty well without it anyway, and I'm interested in opportunities to exercise myself away from shortness of breath -and- pain, and I did another exercise tape today, except for some deep lunges, taking it at my own pace and with one pound lighter weights.

All things considered, this is my first "month" down the hatch and I could not have predicted this much success this early on in terms of quality of life. Especially with the sh--storm it started out like. I'd still very much like to get one of those home lung function meters or a pulse ox to measure relative ups and downs, even if they're not so great at absolute accuracy, to document patterns and motivate/push myself to stay high.

I am with United and United's documentation says you get approved for six month, then re-evaluated for improvement and the next batch is approved for two years, but my refills say the one I finished today, the one that came in the mail, and one after. Not sure if I keep having to call it in, before the approval, or if there are new rules nobody told me about just yet, or if it has something to do with the plan I have ending or changing before the end of the year because of the Affordable Care Act's marketplace shake-a-roo.

I would really miss this if I had to stop taking it. As I mentioned before, I was just out for peace of mind and chasing some improved numbers, but feeling less CF-y is an unexpected but wholly welcome "side effect." If I got pulled off of it, I suppose it would be like looking down at the rest of the world after climbing to the top of Everest. You wanna stay up there for as long as you can, because it took so much effort to get up there, but if you can't live there forever you just are happy to have seen it and known it and tasted it and you'll always have that memory.

In the meantime, though, I'm living it up. I got so much done this week it was beyond belief. Energy was consistent, focus was consistent, sleep was pretty distant. I have been able to live each day for the sake of each day, without regard to long term plans or dreams and the stresses of what's to come (either in trying to make sure some things happen or that some things don't). That's a new one for me. I used to live too much by what the past demonstrated to me. Then I lived too much in the future, controlling my present based on what may or may not happen.

Since I've been feeling well on this, I've been able to stay in the here and now mentally and emotionally and it's allowed me to extract a lot more from even the minor moments in life, which is both great and uncanny, because I'm finding it fits my personality way more now that I'm my more mature grown adult self...just haven't had a chance to really experience it before because it saps your energy and spirit and brainpower to fall apart physically every day.

I pray more and more people get a chance to push through and be on this side of it, if it's at all possible for them. And if not now, with this, then with some of the other stuff coming down the pipe. It's not even the surprise or the novelty. It doesn't overwhelm me so much as disarm and confuse me. You feel better enough to go, "Damn, that's better," but in a way that's comforting because it feels like it's no so overblown as to be a flash in the pan. It feels like it's sustainable, here to stay. It's just such an incremental improvement, in such a big increment, that it starts redefining parts of your perspective.

Aboveallislove

Super Moderator
Re the insurance renewal: I'd check in at least 2 weeks ahead for your next order and now with the doctor re the refill and prior approval so that you don't have any down time and have to relive that he!! month. Also, I recall someone posting here the suggestion of completing a quality of life form for the doctor's file before/after so you could have documentation and proof it is working even if fev doesn't show it. I know you are still working on getting to a cf doctor but maybe it would make sense to talk to the prescribing doctor if there is a qualify of life form you can fill out for the file?
Day 28

Gratefully, not a lot to report. It says something when shortness of breath is down to just isolated incidences you can identify. Especially when you have bronchiectasis. 15-20 secs top, maybe four times spread throughout the day.

Little bit of weakness and fatigue more than I've been used to in the past week, but exceptionally minor and wouldn't be noticeable had I not been feeling so well. For most it wouldn't register or show up on the radar because it's such a common part of the daily mix of crap feelings.

No bleeds, thankfully. Not much in the mucus, either.

I didn't move around a lot at work, so I had that braindead tired you get once I got home, but once I could rest (funny as it sounds) and get some proper food in me, address the pain, etc. I was good to go. The pain just just annoying, probably not pill-level, but it's been helping me smooth over the shortness of breath a bit, which I realize is "cheating" a bit, but I was doing pretty well without it anyway, and I'm interested in opportunities to exercise myself away from shortness of breath -and- pain, and I did another exercise tape today, except for some deep lunges, taking it at my own pace and with one pound lighter weights.

All things considered, this is my first "month" down the hatch and I could not have predicted this much success this early on in terms of quality of life. Especially with the sh--storm it started out like. I'd still very much like to get one of those home lung function meters or a pulse ox to measure relative ups and downs, even if they're not so great at absolute accuracy, to document patterns and motivate/push myself to stay high.

I am with United and United's documentation says you get approved for six month, then re-evaluated for improvement and the next batch is approved for two years, but my refills say the one I finished today, the one that came in the mail, and one after. Not sure if I keep having to call it in, before the approval, or if there are new rules nobody told me about just yet, or if it has something to do with the plan I have ending or changing before the end of the year because of the Affordable Care Act's marketplace shake-a-roo.

I would really miss this if I had to stop taking it. As I mentioned before, I was just out for peace of mind and chasing some improved numbers, but feeling less CF-y is an unexpected but wholly welcome "side effect." If I got pulled off of it, I suppose it would be like looking down at the rest of the world after climbing to the top of Everest. You wanna stay up there for as long as you can, because it took so much effort to get up there, but if you can't live there forever you just are happy to have seen it and known it and tasted it and you'll always have that memory.

In the meantime, though, I'm living it up. I got so much done this week it was beyond belief. Energy was consistent, focus was consistent, sleep was pretty distant. I have been able to live each day for the sake of each day, without regard to long term plans or dreams and the stresses of what's to come (either in trying to make sure some things happen or that some things don't). That's a new one for me. I used to live too much by what the past demonstrated to me. Then I lived too much in the future, controlling my present based on what may or may not happen.

Since I've been feeling well on this, I've been able to stay in the here and now mentally and emotionally and it's allowed me to extract a lot more from even the minor moments in life, which is both great and uncanny, because I'm finding it fits my personality way more now that I'm my more mature grown adult self...just haven't had a chance to really experience it before because it saps your energy and spirit and brainpower to fall apart physically every day.

I pray more and more people get a chance to push through and be on this side of it, if it's at all possible for them. And if not now, with this, then with some of the other stuff coming down the pipe. It's not even the surprise or the novelty. It doesn't overwhelm me so much as disarm and confuse me. You feel better enough to go, "Damn, that's better," but in a way that's comforting because it feels like it's no so overblown as to be a flash in the pan. It feels like it's sustainable, here to stay. It's just such an incremental improvement, in such a big increment, that it starts redefining parts of your perspective.

Gammaw

Super Moderator
Saintoffeon, I pray you have no problems getting your refill. If you do, let us know. There are many ways to push!

saintoffeon

Thank you for your thoughts and prayers!

Day 29

Had caffeine late last night so sleep wasn't amazing but wasn't bad either. I got up okay the first time, but in an attempt to catch up I tried napping because my unrestored body was feeling tired and beat up a bit.

I managed it though and once I actually made attempts to move around found the reality was easier than I supposed it would be.

Middle of the day was happily free of note. Got a good long walk in and accomplished all of my errands without missing a beat.

Started to burn up a bit and be sore by the end of the night but nothing that everyone else doesn't deal with, plus miraculously no bleeds again.

I keep getting paranoid if I lay a funny way or get near the dog or where she rests, or hear a crackle in my throat that it will start back up but I've been pretty safe so far. I bring my bag with me just in case.

Also I sang two songs if anyone wants to hear. Mostly just clips but I'd be interested to see a ct scan of myself right now in my chest to see if it's darker because the stuff I'm doing I have to imagine is only possible through increased real estate.

Ratatosk

Administrator
Staff member
I called the specialty pharmacy on Thursday for a refill. Ds will be out next Friday. Was told they couldn't send out because it was still being reviewed by insurance. Guess I thought that was handled when first prescribed, plus they didn't say they require PA each time. Weird. They didn't know why, nor did vertex patient support. They assumed it was our first call for refills as we've got a 3 month prescription. Finally got a call back yesterday afternoon and it'll be shipped Tueday to my office. Cutting it rather close imo, but should be okay.

DjFunkyFife

Good morning Everyone. So my office called and said i should get my first orkambi delivery on Wednesday. i have an E-appointment (I made that up, i dont really know what else to call it) thursday afternoon. A video conference with my doctors office giving me 'education' on orkambi. (tho i believe i've learned as much or not more than what they are going to tell me already, on here from you all) And i will start the medicine mid-morning next saturday, the 23rd. They should be mailing me a peak-flow meter, so that i can have something to gauge my progress.

I will post on here a little bit, maybe every few days, but i feel it's too hard to judge one person's actual progress sifting through a bunch of posts in one thread. So i'm going to post much more often and much more detailed posts somewhere else. I'm going to use Google+ djfunkyfife@gmail.com to post. Anyone who wants to follow me can, i'll add you. I'm doing this for me just as much as anyone else, because i'd like to keep a progressive day-to-day journal for myself as well, so i can easily look back and see how things have changed.

If in one month i am on this medicine and i feel like nothing has changed for the good, i can look back through my own posts on G+ and that may change my own mind.

Bring it on Orkambi!!!!!

Aboveallislove

Super Moderator
Wishing yu the best luck!
Any chance I can beg you into copying and pasting your updates here in either e new thread or a blog? I'm sure there are others like me that can't keep track of all the places they want to check and also might want to keep their emails private...and like you said, you learned so much here from others. I know it's a pain, so even if you just cut and paste once a week that would be so awesome...but if you can't I do hope the start up is t too bad and you get some positive results soon!

Good morning Everyone. So my office called and said i should get my first orkambi delivery on Wednesday. i have an E-appointment (I made that up, i dont really know what else to call it) thursday afternoon. A video conference with my doctors office giving me 'education' on orkambi. (tho i believe i've learned as much or not more than what they are going to tell me already, on here from you all) And i will start the medicine mid-morning next saturday, the 23rd. They should be mailing me a peak-flow meter, so that i can have something to gauge my progress.

I will post on here a little bit, maybe every few days, but i feel it's too hard to judge one person's actual progress sifting through a bunch of posts in one thread. So i'm going to post much more often and much more detailed posts somewhere else. I'm going to use Google+ djfunkyfife@gmail.com to post. Anyone who wants to follow me can, i'll add you. I'm doing this for me just as much as anyone else, because i'd like to keep a progressive day-to-day journal for myself as well, so i can easily look back and see how things have changed.

If in one month i am on this medicine and i feel like nothing has changed for the good, i can look back through my own posts on G+ and that may change my own mind.

Bring it on Orkambi!!!!!

Gammaw

Super Moderator
It would be great if both you and Saintoffeon could start a blog on that portion of our site! Then we could follow you without confusion with other posts. And perhaps you could update with a post periodically, even sharing a link to your blog. Wonderful. I'm looking forward to reading and watching your progress!

DjFunkyFife

I'll look in to the blogs, maybe i'll do that instead of G+. I've actually never even went to the blogs portion of this site. Didnt really know i could start one.

I'll post overviews, or maybe condensed multi-day summaries in this thread also.

Gammaw

Super Moderator
Yes - absolutely, all are welcome to blog under their account as well. Just go to the top and click "Blog" and then New Post. There ya go. Or feel free to use AboveAll's other excellent suggestion for a new thread - something Like DjFunkys Orikambi Journey - and others can post questions and comments too. Anyone can subscribe to either your Blog or your Thread or both. AboveAll - great suggestions as usual.

Aboveallislove

Super Moderator
DJ
i just tested and the blog thing s so simple...as gamma with said just click blogs and new post. The advantage of the blog for the summary is that your summary stays all together and comments all show at the end. And I believe folks can just go to your blog to read all the entries uninterrupted in ne place. It works great for more story like threads without questions you want input on. But if you d have questions definitely do a thread in a forum so no one misses it! But honestly whatever you do s fine... Just really appreciate you posting it here at cf.com.

saintoffeon

I've been clicking people's user names on here to see their posting history to track individual progress. I too did not know there was a blogging area. I can't see much on my phone and the connection isn't amazing so I'll have to check it out when I get into work tomorrow morning.

Day 30 had one big burning up inflamed mess right in the middle of the day where I needed to rest and really conked out. Not sure where it came from but outside of that, no bleeds and the shortness of breath was as minor and episodic as my bronchospasms and coughing, which was maybe four or five times the whole day.

Going to redouble the pressure on my pulmo office tomorrow to get those meds in. It's dangerous and irresponsible to go nearly two months without being able to so much as communicate an update, and then give me runaround and excuses besides.

I mean, Cayston is a little tricky to get sometimes but just tell me that if that's the case. Or say you found another approved inhaled med I can take. But the xopanex or duoneb stuff? That's practically over the counter. No excuse. In other disciplines that ability to cause harm to a person through negligence would be illegal, but it happens every day in the world of healthcare.

I'm counting my blessings with the big guns I have, in the vest and Orkambi, but I also want to do it right and have those be just a part of a larger full treatment plan.

Weight is steadily climbing back up. I was nearly 147 tonight. I think in a month's time I could be back where I was before I started the Orkambi and lost my appetite.

saintoffeon

Day 31

Some trouble staying out of bed this morning but less sore than the midday thing from yesterday. I think the only thing that's changed is the reintroduction of the pain medicine so I might have to watch that more carefully or taper right out of it already and truly just use it for huge problems, as was my original intention.

Once that was out of the way I felt fine and actually felt the most fine later in the day after work. Went for a walk after dinner and did an exercise tape a couple hours after that. No bleeds again!

I made it as high as 149 which is good. It was a nighttime weight with bowels and food so it doesn't count as a real weight but it's higher than it's been under the same circumstances so I'm just glad to be pushing the cap higher. Also I did some actual muscle workouts today so maybe some of that will stay on.

My mother invited me to do a 5k on the 24th but it was earlier in the month when she asked and I couldn't guarantee even with all my progress I could do it so we opted out.

I haven't formally trained and never intended to run or even jog, just speed walk really, so I'm thinking before the month is through just trying to speed walk the same distance at my local park. I've already plotted the course online.

A couple years back I walked a 5k called the Turtle Walk and my time was about 48 minutes, and I was actually sick (more than just regular CF sick) at the time so I'm really just looking to beat that.

J

jamest

Anyone having problems with sleeping? Wondering if it is the ork or if there is something else going on.

saintoffeon

I already had trouble sleeping before, because of other biological issues and my life choices with my schedule, but when I first started Orkambi, the shortness of breath got bad enough that I simply wasn't taking in enough oxygen as I slept, which made it rough to stay asleep. I had pulse ox in the mid to high 80s, which is abnormal for me, and I just wasn't feeling repaired or restored or healthful at all, and of course dragged butt the whole next day.

saintoffeon

Day 32

Without the added Tylenol pill and only dosing the tramadol at the beginning of the day instead of the end the interference seems to be under control as far as slow wake-ups.

Some tightness and shortness of breath today, more spread out than episodic but it was also just enough to notice and fortunately pretty minor.

Was able to do more climbing stairs and walking through some clouds without drawn out recovery poses/time once I got in the office to sit. Took breaks by walking tiny laps around my training area in the next room over and had more endurance for those.

Couple small errands tonight with no real problems but a heavier though not inflamed tired feeling in the lower body. My awareness guessed that this had more to do with the previous day's workout than a setback.

Also did a non free weight exercise tape for twenty minutes. I can't do anything on my back without feeling gurgling and coughing for five minutes but I got some pronounced stretching in I thought I couldn't do and STILL no bleeds! :)

Finally got an answer from my pulmo office from a rather curt and unprofessional staff person who steered me towards a pharmacist, who told me they got a fax for both meds on the 9th. One wasn't covered according to their insurance info which is recent but they thought might be outdated, and the other didn't belong their in the first place because I'd asked for it to be sent to Optum. Unless I'm living in a town of CF people I don't think they're going to have Cayston on hand at the neighborhood Wal-Mart. Oy.

Talking with insurance to straighten things out. Blows my mind the power people who don't care past a point or who cease to focus or do their jobs right under stress have over people's health.

DjFunkyFife

Got the shipment today of Orkambi. Expect a blog starting saturday. With the crapload of possible effects, i'm a bit nervous.

Instead of the bottles of blue pills, like i've seen pictures of on the internet, it's a box with strips of two pills each, and they're pink. Anyone know why the difference? The strips thing is annoying to me, because instead of pouring out two pills each dose from a bottle, i have to push each pill through the package... yes i know, i'm complaining about nothing, but i still don't like it!

Ratatosk

Administrator
Staff member
The blue ones are Kalydeco, also made by vertex.

I thought the boxes inside boxes then strips of two was annoying at first, but I got used to it. Plus since they have to be taken about 12 hours apart and with food, ds takes his 2nd dose with supper instead of right after school (4 pm). So setting the packet on the counter next to his enzyme bottle reminds me to give him his meds.