Free CF Vitamins

triples15

Super Moderator
Hi All!

Since CF vitamins can be pricey I wanted to share this info in case it is helpful to anyone. If you have the Healthwell grant to cover your prescription copays, you can receive FREE vitamins specifically formulated for CF from MVW Nutritionals. All you have to do is call them at 256-327-9830 and give them your Healthwell number. They'll immediately ship you a 3 month supply and then a refill reminder every 3 months when it's time to refill. It's pretty awesome. :) They also have a website, mvwnutritionals.com, not sure if you can order from there as I do mine by phone, but you could check it out.

Also, if you are reading this and aren't familiar with Healthwell.... it is a copay card program that pays the copay for CF specific meds including, Cayston, Pulmozyme, HyperSal, and enzymes. It leaves me with a zero copay on those medications. Yay! You can make up to 500% of the federal poverty level and still qualify, so it's really generous as far as income based assistance programs go. For example, a family of 3 can make up to $100,000 per year and still qualify. If you are interested please check out: healthwellfoundation.org and look for "CF Grant" then click apply. Very easy application.

Gotta run, but take care everyone and let me know if you have questions!

Autumn

nuciko

CF Grant

Hello, I need help, if you can, I can't find it on this website, can you help me about this? this is great news for me, if it is real. thank you beforehand.

triples15

Super Moderator
Hi Nuciko!

Try this link.

https://www.healthwellfoundation.org/fund/cystic-fibrosis/

It should take you to the page you need. It tells about the program and if you scroll down there is a button that says "apply now"

Let me know if that doesn't work. After you get approved for the Healthwell grant you just call MVW Nutritionals at the number I posted above and they'll mail you the vitamins. And if you have copays on your CF meds, show the Healthwell card to your pharmacy. :)

Take care!

Autumn

Last edited:

triples15

Super Moderator
It's me again... wanted to add that I think you do have to be a resident of the US to qualify for the grant. I'm not sure if you're here or not. If not, so sorry to get your hopes up. :(

Simba15

Forget that! You have to agree to change your physician, pharmacy and medication at any time. NOPE!

triples15

Super Moderator
Simba,

The CF grant through Healthwell is just a copay card program. They have absolutely zero say in what doctor you see, or what meds you are prescribed. I'm not sure where you found that info. Maybe for some of Healthwell's other programs that I'm not familiar with? I would definitely not be willing to change docs, meds etc. I've used the copay card for years, it used to be the Cystic Fibrosis Patient Assistance Foundation. Last year they outsourced the management of it to Healthwell, but the funding is still provided by the Cystic Fibrosis Foundation. You give the copay card to the pharmacy and they run it through after your primary pays. That's all. They don't have any say in your healthcare. They do only cover specific CF drugs, the list can be found on their website.

Simba15

I found that info on the website that was posted on this thread before my comments. I started the application process to see if I qualified and I got to the page that said it and claims caked off. It is a disclaimer that most people would not pay attention to. It is there.

Simba15

Simba,

The CF grant through Healthwell is just a copay card program. They have absolutely zero say in what doctor you see, or what meds you are prescribed. I'm not sure where you found that info. Maybe for some of Healthwell's other programs that I'm not familiar with? I would definitely not be willing to change docs, meds etc. I've used the copay card for years, it used to be the Cystic Fibrosis Patient Assistance Foundation. Last year they outsourced the management of it to Healthwell, but the funding is still provided by the Cystic Fibrosis Foundation. You give the copay card to the pharmacy and they run it through after your primary pays. That's all. They don't have any say in your healthcare. They do only cover specific CF drugs, the list can be found on their website.

I misread it! It says "I am free to change my doctor at any time". You can only use this for prescriptions? Then how does it work on vitamins?

triples15

Super Moderator
I misread it! It says "I am free to change my doctor at any time". You can only use this for prescriptions? Then how does it work on vitamins?

Oh good, glad we figured it out! I would have had your same reaction if I thought it said I had to be willing to change docs/meds/pharmacies.

In addition to covering the prescription copays, they also cover many supplements and vitamins and some nebulizer handsets. Here is the list of what they cover:

https://www.healthwellfoundation.org/wp-content/uploads/2016/08/WhatisCoveredUnder_CFFund.pdf

The prescriptions copay card is processed at the pharmacy to bring your copays down to zero. The vitamins and supplements have to billed the old fashioned way via paper claims. The vitamins I get are from MVW Nutritionals and they are formulated specifically for CFers. They have high doses of A, D, E, and K. They have a few choices, my dietician recommended their D3,000 softgels. I just call to order them and they mail out a 3 month supply and send the bill to Healthwell. I pay zero. So after you get your Healthwell card in the mail, you can just call MVW Nutritionals at 256-327-9830. You just give them your Healthwell ID number and they send the vitamins out to you and send the bill to Healthwell. Pretty snazzy.

Let me know if you have other questions. I'm really no expert, other than having used the program for a long time. ;) I hope if it would help you, you are able to use them too. That's why I post on here, hoping to help folks like myself who have high out-of-pocket costs. It has helped me TREMENDOUSLY.

Take care,

Autumn

Simba15

Autumn: Do you mean if you buy vitamins out of pocket from the store, you can submit the receipts to this place (if you are registered) for reimbursement?

Simba15

I looked at the link. I am shocked they specify a brand (nature made) vitmains. The quality of vitamins I take exceeds natures made. I would have to downgrade my vitamins to use this.

triples15

Super Moderator
I looked at the link. I am shocked they specify a brand (nature made) vitmains. The quality of vitamins I take exceeds natures made. I would have to downgrade my vitamins to use this.

Hi again!

Sorry I somehow missed this question. I'm not sure how it all works with the vitamins. I just recently started using them for that after the dietician at my clinic told me about it. I had not known they covered vitamins. She had me order from MVW Nutritionals and they are CF specific vitamins. I called them and they mailed me a 3 month supply and billed Healthwell. I looked at Healthwell's page when I was posting the link for you and oddly I didn't see the MVW Nutritionals vitamins there. I know they are covered because I am getting them. My advice to you would be to call Healthwell and ask about their coverage for vitamins.

Take care,

Autumn

Ratatosk

Administrator
Staff member
DS uses the MVW Nutritionals as well. He had been using SourceCF, and prior to that AquaAdeks. We get his vitamins via the Creon/CF Care Forward program. We also get a three month supply of nutritional bars or drinks. We used to fill out a form and attach a copy of the pharmacy receipt from the Creon, but now I just order online. I think zenpep has a similar program as well.

Simba15

Hi again!

Sorry I somehow missed this question. I'm not sure how it all works with the vitamins. I just recently started using them for that after the dietician at my clinic told me about it. I had not known they covered vitamins. She had me order from MVW Nutritionals and they are CF specific vitamins. I called them and they mailed me a 3 month supply and billed Healthwell. I looked at Healthwell's page when I was posting the link for you and oddly I didn't see the MVW Nutritionals vitamins there. I know they are covered because I am getting them. My advice to you would be to call Healthwell and ask about their coverage for vitamins.

Take care,

Autumn

Thank you. I have to figure out if i qualify financially for Healthwell.

Simba15

I am not eligible. I make too much money. (I am paying $885 a month for medical insurance and can barely pay my bills).