G-tube.... Mickey, one-step, or the button?

myohmymary

My daughter allissa is getting her g-tube on friday.
a nurse came in and went over things with us, I am a bit overwhelmed. They showed us the button, the mic-key and the one step.
Does anyone have any advice, pointers or recommendations as to which works best?
Allissa is only 7 and I need something functional for an active climbing dancing child.
Any advice or insightwould be appreciated. Thanks!

myohmymary

My daughter allissa is getting her g-tube on friday.
a nurse came in and went over things with us, I am a bit overwhelmed. They showed us the button, the mic-key and the one step.
Does anyone have any advice, pointers or recommendations as to which works best?
Allissa is only 7 and I need something functional for an active climbing dancing child.
Any advice or insightwould be appreciated. Thanks!

JennyCoulon

I believe when the g-button is first placed they use a Bard which is not one that can be changed at home b/c it doesn't have a deflatable balloon. Once the site is healed, etc I believe you will then be able to decide which button you would like. With our oldest who is now 12 and got his button when he was 5 we went with the Mini. The Mini looks very similar to the Bard as it is flat, it does have the deflatable balloon so you will be able to switch it out at home and the feeding tube locks in like the Mickey. When he got his placed his was an 18 french, 3.5 button. They decided with his previous surgeries and his belly inside looking like spiderwebs that they wouldn't be able to place a bigger one in the future so they gave him a bigger size. He plays soccer, runs around, swims, etc. The one thing that we stuggled with as he has gotten older is his self-confidence. Last year he wanted to wear a hoodie all of the time to "hide" it. He would wear this even when it was 100 degrees outside. We tried to find a solution as to how to make it not so noticable. He was wearing a big bandaid on it to keep it closer to his skin. We had to sit down and talk to him and tell him that this is "saving his life". As much as he hates it he has to understand that this is part of him and in all reality might be for the rest of his life. After this talk things changed. He didn't have to wear a hoodie any longer, he would go to school in a t-shirt and nothing covering it. I was so proud of him for being who he is. We came across some Tagaderm film like what goes over a PICC line. He puts this over his button sometimes if he is wearing a "smaller" t-shirt. It isn't tough on the skin as the bandaids and it does the same job. This is something that we now get with his monthly order along with his other g-button supplies. Hope this helps, and don't hesitate to ask any questions that you might have. This will be a transition for both her and your family but it is well worth it. My son went from being in the 5th % to between the 25th & 50th % for his weight. I will also warn you that she will be in a lot of pain afterwards to make sure they are keeping her comfortable. Thanks and good luck...

JennyCoulon

I believe when the g-button is first placed they use a Bard which is not one that can be changed at home b/c it doesn't have a deflatable balloon. Once the site is healed, etc I believe you will then be able to decide which button you would like. With our oldest who is now 12 and got his button when he was 5 we went with the Mini. The Mini looks very similar to the Bard as it is flat, it does have the deflatable balloon so you will be able to switch it out at home and the feeding tube locks in like the Mickey. When he got his placed his was an 18 french, 3.5 button. They decided with his previous surgeries and his belly inside looking like spiderwebs that they wouldn't be able to place a bigger one in the future so they gave him a bigger size. He plays soccer, runs around, swims, etc. The one thing that we stuggled with as he has gotten older is his self-confidence. Last year he wanted to wear a hoodie all of the time to "hide" it. He would wear this even when it was 100 degrees outside. We tried to find a solution as to how to make it not so noticable. He was wearing a big bandaid on it to keep it closer to his skin. We had to sit down and talk to him and tell him that this is "saving his life". As much as he hates it he has to understand that this is part of him and in all reality might be for the rest of his life. After this talk things changed. He didn't have to wear a hoodie any longer, he would go to school in a t-shirt and nothing covering it. I was so proud of him for being who he is. We came across some Tagaderm film like what goes over a PICC line. He puts this over his button sometimes if he is wearing a "smaller" t-shirt. It isn't tough on the skin as the bandaids and it does the same job. This is something that we now get with his monthly order along with his other g-button supplies. Hope this helps, and don't hesitate to ask any questions that you might have. This will be a transition for both her and your family but it is well worth it. My son went from being in the 5th % to between the 25th & 50th % for his weight. I will also warn you that she will be in a lot of pain afterwards to make sure they are keeping her comfortable. Thanks and good luck...

bananagirl

Hi,
I realize that your daughter has probably already gotten her tube placed, but just in case you meant this friday or for other people wanting the same info I will answer your question. I have had a g-tube for 7 years. When I had mine placed I got the Genie. They do not make this kind anymore but it was made by the same company that makes the button and from what I found on the internet it looks very similar to the button.
The button looks like it is a more permeant tube (you don't change it yourself and it lasts for a while) This was how my first tube was. I liked it because I did not have to change the tube which kind of freaked me out and still freaks me out a little. It was also nice because the part that is outside your stomach is much smaller than the other tubes. The down side was that the tube would eventually start to wear out and I would not be able to replace it on my own. My tube lasted for 5 years before I needed a new one. As I got closer to the fifth year mark I started to realize that my tube was wearing out and that worried me a little because who knew when it would happen and it would really suck if it broke during school or a trip and I had to figure out how to keep it in until we could get to the doctor to have them change it.
We ended up making an appointment to get a new one and luckily my tube made it until that day. I chose to have a mic-key put in since I would be able to change it at home. The mic-key is much bigger on the outside of the stomach which took some getting used to. It is also much easier to put in and take out. To take out my old tube the doc grabbed the tube and pulled until it popped out which hurt a bit. To take out a mic-key you just deflate the ballon inside and pull it out like an earring. The new one goes in just as easily and you fill up the ballon so it won't come out.
It is definitely overwhelming trying to chose a tube. In the end I don't think it matters too much, you may like one better than another but you probable won't end up trying them all so you will never know if a different one would have been better.
I hope your daughter's surgery went well and that she is not in a ton of pain, though most likely she is, one thing I do remember is that it hurt really bad. It does go away eventually though and after a while you can even sleep on your stomach without pain. I barely even notice my tube now.

bananagirl

Hi,
I realize that your daughter has probably already gotten her tube placed, but just in case you meant this friday or for other people wanting the same info I will answer your question. I have had a g-tube for 7 years. When I had mine placed I got the Genie. They do not make this kind anymore but it was made by the same company that makes the button and from what I found on the internet it looks very similar to the button.
The button looks like it is a more permeant tube (you don't change it yourself and it lasts for a while) This was how my first tube was. I liked it because I did not have to change the tube which kind of freaked me out and still freaks me out a little. It was also nice because the part that is outside your stomach is much smaller than the other tubes. The down side was that the tube would eventually start to wear out and I would not be able to replace it on my own. My tube lasted for 5 years before I needed a new one. As I got closer to the fifth year mark I started to realize that my tube was wearing out and that worried me a little because who knew when it would happen and it would really suck if it broke during school or a trip and I had to figure out how to keep it in until we could get to the doctor to have them change it.
We ended up making an appointment to get a new one and luckily my tube made it until that day. I chose to have a mic-key put in since I would be able to change it at home. The mic-key is much bigger on the outside of the stomach which took some getting used to. It is also much easier to put in and take out. To take out my old tube the doc grabbed the tube and pulled until it popped out which hurt a bit. To take out a mic-key you just deflate the ballon inside and pull it out like an earring. The new one goes in just as easily and you fill up the ballon so it won't come out.
It is definitely overwhelming trying to chose a tube. In the end I don't think it matters too much, you may like one better than another but you probable won't end up trying them all so you will never know if a different one would have been better.
I hope your daughter's surgery went well and that she is not in a ton of pain, though most likely she is, one thing I do remember is that it hurt really bad. It does go away eventually though and after a while you can even sleep on your stomach without pain. I barely even notice my tube now.

myohmymary

Allissa had the surgery this morning. We went with the Mickey and I think eventually we will be glad for it. She is in a lot more pain than I anticipated, but they are keeping her medicated. I am glad for this because it is allowing her to recover and me to adjust. Mentally I knew what was coming, but seeing a port on her belly is taking some adjusting. Thank you for all of the advice! Hopefully my little peanut will be healthy and home soon!

myohmymary

Allissa had the surgery this morning. We went with the Mickey and I think eventually we will be glad for it. She is in a lot more pain than I anticipated, but they are keeping her medicated. I am glad for this because it is allowing her to recover and me to adjust. Mentally I knew what was coming, but seeing a port on her belly is taking some adjusting. Thank you for all of the advice! Hopefully my little peanut will be healthy and home soon!