Genetic Mutation

megan420

I here all this news about new meds for a certain genetic mutation of CF. But how does one find out their mutation and does it cost money?

megan420

I here all this news about new meds for a certain genetic mutation of CF. But how does one find out their mutation and does it cost money?

megan420

<BR>I here all this news about new meds for a certain genetic mutation of CF. But how does one find out their mutation and does it cost money?

T

TonyaH

I know this sounds frustrating, but it really depends on your mutations and what kind of insurance you have. First of all, ask your doctor if you have been genotyped. Your mutations may already be in your file without you even knowing it! Secondly, are you at a CFF accredited care center? If so, your doctor should be able to help you find your mutations. You may start with a simple test of the most common mutations. If your mutation are not found in that test, your best bet is to have an Ambry full panel amplified test which tests for all of the known mutations today. You could talk with your clinic social worker about costs of these tests. Best of luck...this is an exciting time in CF history!

T

TonyaH

I know this sounds frustrating, but it really depends on your mutations and what kind of insurance you have. First of all, ask your doctor if you have been genotyped. Your mutations may already be in your file without you even knowing it! Secondly, are you at a CFF accredited care center? If so, your doctor should be able to help you find your mutations. You may start with a simple test of the most common mutations. If your mutation are not found in that test, your best bet is to have an Ambry full panel amplified test which tests for all of the known mutations today. You could talk with your clinic social worker about costs of these tests. Best of luck...this is an exciting time in CF history!

T

TonyaH