getting your infant on a schedule...

tinamarie4685

Hey everyone!

So, this isn't really CF related - but my baby is 3 weeks old tomorrow, and still eating about 3 ounces, every 2-3 hours... she really has no sleep "schedule" yet, and the pediatrician said thats fine cause she's still a newborn... I am trying to give her baths at night and keep the house lit during the day, but she still falls asleep during the day off and on and the baths seem to wake her up instead of calm her and make her sleep.

I was just wondering when your babies began to sleep more and space out their eating intervals more? I am sooo exhausted, especially because she's still waking throughout the middle of the night to be fed, about every 2-3 hours. I am not breastfeeding either... it's bottles with Soy formula because the milk/iron bothers her tummy.

Thanks for any advice and/or suggestions in advance!!

xoxo

tinamarie4685

Hey everyone!

So, this isn't really CF related - but my baby is 3 weeks old tomorrow, and still eating about 3 ounces, every 2-3 hours... she really has no sleep "schedule" yet, and the pediatrician said thats fine cause she's still a newborn... I am trying to give her baths at night and keep the house lit during the day, but she still falls asleep during the day off and on and the baths seem to wake her up instead of calm her and make her sleep.

I was just wondering when your babies began to sleep more and space out their eating intervals more? I am sooo exhausted, especially because she's still waking throughout the middle of the night to be fed, about every 2-3 hours. I am not breastfeeding either... it's bottles with Soy formula because the milk/iron bothers her tummy.

xoxo

tinamarie4685

Hey everyone!

xoxo

tinamarie4685

Hey everyone!

xoxo

tinamarie4685

Hey everyone!
<br />
<br />So, this isn't really CF related - but my baby is 3 weeks old tomorrow, and still eating about 3 ounces, every 2-3 hours... she really has no sleep "schedule" yet, and the pediatrician said thats fine cause she's still a newborn... I am trying to give her baths at night and keep the house lit during the day, but she still falls asleep during the day off and on and the baths seem to wake her up instead of calm her and make her sleep.
<br />
<br />I was just wondering when your babies began to sleep more and space out their eating intervals more? I am sooo exhausted, especially because she's still waking throughout the middle of the night to be fed, about every 2-3 hours. I am not breastfeeding either... it's bottles with Soy formula because the milk/iron bothers her tummy.
<br />
<br />Thanks for any advice and/or suggestions in advance!!
<br />
<br />xoxo

tara

Oh, you've hit the 3 week wall! We did that here too. The 24 hour schedule continues until about 12 weeks, 9 weeks if you're really lucky though. I read the book Babywise, and although I didn't follow it to the T, I took some tidbits here and there. I didn't really try and "keep" the babies awake during the day until after 3 months old. Then I tried to have a schedule.

Try not to stress yourself out about having a schedule yet. Instead, ask for help. Get help at night, since she's bottle fed, or help during the day, so you can rest. That's the most important thing, not to fight her needs for the 24x7 schedule right now, but start to follow it instead. I used to think I had to do everything around the house etc, but when it come down to it, if baby and mama are fed and clean, then your job is DONE. Anything else is icing on the cake.

Be careful bathing her every night. Bathing can actually dry the baby's skin. If you are bathing to soothe her, don't use soap, at least not every night. I think we did a full bath once a week until the twins were 6 months old and crawling. Then we changed to every single night. It was just one less thing I didn't need to add to my schedule, one less thing to "do." We wiped their hands and faces everyday, but no full on bath.

I hope some of this helps. Don't forget to take lots of photos, with you in them too! I found I was always behind the camera....which is still true today! Sit back, relax and enjoy her. Good luck Tina.

tara

Oh, you've hit the 3 week wall! We did that here too. The 24 hour schedule continues until about 12 weeks, 9 weeks if you're really lucky though. I read the book Babywise, and although I didn't follow it to the T, I took some tidbits here and there. I didn't really try and "keep" the babies awake during the day until after 3 months old. Then I tried to have a schedule.

Try not to stress yourself out about having a schedule yet. Instead, ask for help. Get help at night, since she's bottle fed, or help during the day, so you can rest. That's the most important thing, not to fight her needs for the 24x7 schedule right now, but start to follow it instead. I used to think I had to do everything around the house etc, but when it come down to it, if baby and mama are fed and clean, then your job is DONE. Anything else is icing on the cake.

Be careful bathing her every night. Bathing can actually dry the baby's skin. If you are bathing to soothe her, don't use soap, at least not every night. I think we did a full bath once a week until the twins were 6 months old and crawling. Then we changed to every single night. It was just one less thing I didn't need to add to my schedule, one less thing to "do." We wiped their hands and faces everyday, but no full on bath.

I hope some of this helps. Don't forget to take lots of photos, with you in them too! I found I was always behind the camera....which is still true today! Sit back, relax and enjoy her. Good luck Tina.

tara

tara

tara

<br />
<br />Try not to stress yourself out about having a schedule yet. Instead, ask for help. Get help at night, since she's bottle fed, or help during the day, so you can rest. That's the most important thing, not to fight her needs for the 24x7 schedule right now, but start to follow it instead. I used to think I had to do everything around the house etc, but when it come down to it, if baby and mama are fed and clean, then your job is DONE. Anything else is icing on the cake.
<br />
<br />Be careful bathing her every night. Bathing can actually dry the baby's skin. If you are bathing to soothe her, don't use soap, at least not every night. I think we did a full bath once a week until the twins were 6 months old and crawling. Then we changed to every single night. It was just one less thing I didn't need to add to my schedule, one less thing to "do." We wiped their hands and faces everyday, but no full on bath.
<br />
<br />I hope some of this helps. Don't forget to take lots of photos, with you in them too! I found I was always behind the camera....which is still true today! Sit back, relax and enjoy her. Good luck Tina.

rubyroselee

Hi Tina,

My son didn't get on a sleeping schedule until he was about 2-3 months old. By then he had the night/day thing straightened out, although he was still getting up every 3-4 hrs to eat. He was on formula by that point (only breastfed for about 1.5 mos). Since that basically meant he was only getting up once or twice during the night, we would take turns getting up with him....eventually when it was just once a night that meant each of us just had to get up every other night.

Even though my son is now 16 months old, he still gets up a couple nights a week and comes into bed with us, but most nights he sleeps all through the night in his crib.

It's definitely a process...a looooong process. But it does definitely get easier as they get older. Heck, we are still tired most days and don't expect that to get any better for a couple more years.

Hang in there girl!

rubyroselee

Hi Tina,

My son didn't get on a sleeping schedule until he was about 2-3 months old. By then he had the night/day thing straightened out, although he was still getting up every 3-4 hrs to eat. He was on formula by that point (only breastfed for about 1.5 mos). Since that basically meant he was only getting up once or twice during the night, we would take turns getting up with him....eventually when it was just once a night that meant each of us just had to get up every other night.

Even though my son is now 16 months old, he still gets up a couple nights a week and comes into bed with us, but most nights he sleeps all through the night in his crib.

It's definitely a process...a looooong process. But it does definitely get easier as they get older. Heck, we are still tired most days and don't expect that to get any better for a couple more years.

Hang in there girl!

rubyroselee

Hi Tina,

Hang in there girl!

rubyroselee

Hi Tina,

Hang in there girl!

rubyroselee

Hi Tina,
<br />
<br />My son didn't get on a sleeping schedule until he was about 2-3 months old. By then he had the night/day thing straightened out, although he was still getting up every 3-4 hrs to eat. He was on formula by that point (only breastfed for about 1.5 mos). Since that basically meant he was only getting up once or twice during the night, we would take turns getting up with him....eventually when it was just once a night that meant each of us just had to get up every other night.
<br />
<br />Even though my son is now 16 months old, he still gets up a couple nights a week and comes into bed with us, but most nights he sleeps all through the night in his crib.
<br />
<br />It's definitely a process...a looooong process. But it does definitely get easier as they get older. Heck, we are still tired most days and don't expect that to get any better for a couple more years.
<br />
<br />Hang in there girl!

K

Keepercjr

Tina

Sorry to say but there isn't anything you can do at this point to get her on a schedule. She's a newborn who is trying to adjust to this world and what you are describing is VERY typical and normal. Like Tara said, just follow her cues and go from there. Babies don't really need to be put on a schedule, they develop their own routines that get pretty predictable. Eating every 2-3 hours is what she needs right now and I wouldn't try to space her out. Many newborns at that age are eating even more frequently, especially if they're breastfed (which I know she isn't). I'd say my son nursed at least every 2 hours when he was that age - and even at 8 months old he was still nursing every 2-3 hours.

As for napping - she's supposed to sleep a lot during the day. Totally normal. She won't be awake a lot during the day till she's a bit older.

Ask for as much help as you can get. Take her to bed with you at night so you can both get some rest. You and baby are you only priorities. Let someone else cook and clean. If someone comes over to the house they don't get to hold the baby till they've done a chore (laundry, groceries, dinner, etc). And when she's napping, you need to nap too.

She's growing so fast right now - soon you'll be wondering where your tiny baby went. Enjoy!

K

Keepercjr

Tina

Sorry to say but there isn't anything you can do at this point to get her on a schedule. She's a newborn who is trying to adjust to this world and what you are describing is VERY typical and normal. Like Tara said, just follow her cues and go from there. Babies don't really need to be put on a schedule, they develop their own routines that get pretty predictable. Eating every 2-3 hours is what she needs right now and I wouldn't try to space her out. Many newborns at that age are eating even more frequently, especially if they're breastfed (which I know she isn't). I'd say my son nursed at least every 2 hours when he was that age - and even at 8 months old he was still nursing every 2-3 hours.

As for napping - she's supposed to sleep a lot during the day. Totally normal. She won't be awake a lot during the day till she's a bit older.

Ask for as much help as you can get. Take her to bed with you at night so you can both get some rest. You and baby are you only priorities. Let someone else cook and clean. If someone comes over to the house they don't get to hold the baby till they've done a chore (laundry, groceries, dinner, etc). And when she's napping, you need to nap too.

She's growing so fast right now - soon you'll be wondering where your tiny baby went. Enjoy!

K

Keepercjr

Tina

K

Keepercjr

Tina

K

Keepercjr

Tina
<br />
<br />Sorry to say but there isn't anything you can do at this point to get her on a schedule. She's a newborn who is trying to adjust to this world and what you are describing is VERY typical and normal. Like Tara said, just follow her cues and go from there. Babies don't really need to be put on a schedule, they develop their own routines that get pretty predictable. Eating every 2-3 hours is what she needs right now and I wouldn't try to space her out. Many newborns at that age are eating even more frequently, especially if they're breastfed (which I know she isn't). I'd say my son nursed at least every 2 hours when he was that age - and even at 8 months old he was still nursing every 2-3 hours.
<br />
<br />As for napping - she's supposed to sleep a lot during the day. Totally normal. She won't be awake a lot during the day till she's a bit older.
<br />
<br />Ask for as much help as you can get. Take her to bed with you at night so you can both get some rest. You and baby are you only priorities. Let someone else cook and clean. If someone comes over to the house they don't get to hold the baby till they've done a chore (laundry, groceries, dinner, etc). And when she's napping, you need to nap too.
<br />
<br />
<br />She's growing so fast right now - soon you'll be wondering where your tiny baby went. Enjoy!