GHPP -- experiences?

jpetersen

I haven't heard much good at all about California health insurance. The only people I know surviving and thriving out there have private company insurance. Un employed and on disability, I wouldn't do that - no way. Scour the transplant bloggers' sites and see where they went and then contact their CF centers about getting in touch with their social worker for info on state insurances in their area if you're needing to relocate.

Can you get a job telecommuting while on the transplant list so you can get off COBRA and onto a current plan with better benefits? I work from home running my LLC and pay out the nose for an individual policy with Aetna, but at least I know all of my bills will be paid and what my annual maximum expenses can be - while raking in more money than playing desk jockey in cubicle... something to consider... "40 Days to the Work You Love" by Dan Brown can help you and his website has lots of job-creating resources. If you convert your COBRA because you have a one-time HIPPA conversion allowance with a certificate of continuous coverage that eliminates the pre-existing clause, then try your best to find an HSA-eligible plan so you can use pre-tax money for medical instead of only getting the end-of-year IRS deductions for medical.

I have a slew of transplant list and recipient people in my blogroll if you want to check out a list with quick and easy access.

I hope this helps. Please feel free to contact me via my contact form on my site if you want my experiences going rogue with work/insurance. (My PFTs have been in the 20s, so I've been talked to about Tx, but I brought my numbers up by working at home - maybe you CAN do the same. I'm a 36% now and hope to be 38-40% on Friday at clinic.)

jpetersen

I haven't heard much good at all about California health insurance. The only people I know surviving and thriving out there have private company insurance. Un employed and on disability, I wouldn't do that - no way. Scour the transplant bloggers' sites and see where they went and then contact their CF centers about getting in touch with their social worker for info on state insurances in their area if you're needing to relocate.

Can you get a job telecommuting while on the transplant list so you can get off COBRA and onto a current plan with better benefits? I work from home running my LLC and pay out the nose for an individual policy with Aetna, but at least I know all of my bills will be paid and what my annual maximum expenses can be - while raking in more money than playing desk jockey in cubicle... something to consider... "40 Days to the Work You Love" by Dan Brown can help you and his website has lots of job-creating resources. If you convert your COBRA because you have a one-time HIPPA conversion allowance with a certificate of continuous coverage that eliminates the pre-existing clause, then try your best to find an HSA-eligible plan so you can use pre-tax money for medical instead of only getting the end-of-year IRS deductions for medical.

I have a slew of transplant list and recipient people in my blogroll if you want to check out a list with quick and easy access.

I hope this helps. Please feel free to contact me via my contact form on my site if you want my experiences going rogue with work/insurance. (My PFTs have been in the 20s, so I've been talked to about Tx, but I brought my numbers up by working at home - maybe you CAN do the same. I'm a 36% now and hope to be 38-40% on Friday at clinic.)

jpetersen

<br />
<br />Can you get a job telecommuting while on the transplant list so you can get off COBRA and onto a current plan with better benefits? I work from home running my LLC and pay out the nose for an individual policy with Aetna, but at least I know all of my bills will be paid and what my annual maximum expenses can be - while raking in more money than playing desk jockey in cubicle... something to consider... "40 Days to the Work You Love" by Dan Brown can help you and his website has lots of job-creating resources. If you convert your COBRA because you have a one-time HIPPA conversion allowance with a certificate of continuous coverage that eliminates the pre-existing clause, then try your best to find an HSA-eligible plan so you can use pre-tax money for medical instead of only getting the end-of-year IRS deductions for medical.
<br />
<br />I have a slew of transplant list and recipient people in my blogroll if you want to check out a list with quick and easy access.
<br />
<br />I hope this helps. Please feel free to contact me via my contact form on my site if you want my experiences going rogue with work/insurance. (My PFTs have been in the 20s, so I've been talked to about Tx, but I brought my numbers up by working at home - maybe you CAN do the same. I'm a 36% now and hope to be 38-40% on Friday at clinic.)

cfstinabug

I live in CA and I have private insurance. I know a few CFers who are on GHPP, one of them had his double lung transplant while on GHPP. They are doing great. The biggest complaint that I have heard about GHPP is the limitation that it gives you. Not all docs take it, etc. I personally don't trust state programs, esp with the CA economy the way it is. But, there are some great care centers in CA (USC, UCLA, Stanford, etc).

cfstinabug

I live in CA and I have private insurance. I know a few CFers who are on GHPP, one of them had his double lung transplant while on GHPP. They are doing great. The biggest complaint that I have heard about GHPP is the limitation that it gives you. Not all docs take it, etc. I personally don't trust state programs, esp with the CA economy the way it is. But, there are some great care centers in CA (USC, UCLA, Stanford, etc).

cfstinabug

colinmaydahl

Any of the UC's take GHPP. Myself and I think most of the CFers in CA are on GHPP (it gets bumped to 2ndary insurance if You can get other insurance, it will pick up copays and such). Cali is in the hole now, but if they cut ghpp it is a political hot potato. It would not save the state much money and would be seen as taking insurance away from the disabled. I don't think it is going anywhere. You do have to jump through some hoops, but it is worth it. I have been seen at UCSD and UCD and have loved both clinics, in both cases it took about a year to get to know the doc's and such.
Feel free to PM me if You have any other questions.

Colin
28 M w/CF

colinmaydahl

Any of the UC's take GHPP. Myself and I think most of the CFers in CA are on GHPP (it gets bumped to 2ndary insurance if You can get other insurance, it will pick up copays and such). Cali is in the hole now, but if they cut ghpp it is a political hot potato. It would not save the state much money and would be seen as taking insurance away from the disabled. I don't think it is going anywhere. You do have to jump through some hoops, but it is worth it. I have been seen at UCSD and UCD and have loved both clinics, in both cases it took about a year to get to know the doc's and such.
Feel free to PM me if You have any other questions.

Colin
28 M w/CF

colinmaydahl

<br />Feel free to PM me if You have any other questions.
<br />
<br />Colin
<br />28 M w/CF