GI advice

Diana4Natasha

DS had surgery when he was 6 for an obstruction and he pretty much had issues a year or so prior to that with vomiting undigested food HOURS after eating, sudden sharp pain then he'd vomit. That usually occurred if he ate more than usual. But there was no rhyme or reason, it was sporadic -- we thought it was him being picky, taking his Zithromax around dinner so we switched to bedtime. We were able to maintain 50th percentile because we pushed carnation instant breakfast made with cream and whole milk, so figured after the fact it was able to slip thru the cracks, but he was beginning to lose ground. Through out all this he was still stooling and we didn't need to use milk of mag. His stools were also looser and orangish which we figured afterwards was because his adeks vitamins weren't getting digested properly either.

His issue with constipation -- large intestine pretty much full of stool. Sometimes after treating with milk of mag, his stools would first come out and have a coating of mucus on them, similar to a sausage casing. Which I suppose is why some use mucomyst. Then everything would break loose and he'd have numerous, much looser bms. Obstruction -- by the time it got serious enough for surgery -- his colon was clear, stool backed up in the small intestine. So they tried gastrographin enemas to get it to release, but the stuff in his small intestine was harder, more tar like. Meconium equivalent.

DS' intestinal tract can be tricky at times. No rhyme or reason. Which is why I pretty much panic after every stomach bug because he doesn't bounce back right away. And about the time I'm ready to load him in the car to the clinic in the city after weeks of decreased appetite, limited stooling and vomiting because of motility issues -- he perks right up as if nothing was wrong.

I'm sure you're doing it already, looking for a pattern, trying to figure out what works... Don't they have a flavorless golytely? Or could you/do you mix miralax with an electrolyte (Gatorade type) drink.