girls onlyy please!!

Angel2393

I hear a lot of Cf girls have problems getting pregnant due to there cervical mucus??
How do we know if ours is to thick, or we have a problem with it and etc//

SOrry if this is wierd queston hahaha

just1more

(not a girl but here is a clinical answer)

In order for sperm to succesfully enter the uterus and lead to pregnancy the cervical mucus (CM) must be a certain composition and consistency.

Over the course of your normal cycle this changes, and normally around ovulation will be 'optimal' for conception.

Due to the same thickening of mucus in your lungs, CM is often thicker in females with CF; which can lead to problems conceiving naturally.

If you have tried for some time and failed to conceive naturally go see your physican and ask them for a referral to a reproductive endocrinologist. They can evaluate both you & your partner for any other causes; and as Anomie pointed out there are some options you can try.

Ultimately, just to reassure you it can't stop you from being pregnant IF it is cleared by your physicians given that you are post-tx. But it may require some outside help to *get* pregnant.

Good luck.

rubyroselee

It's true, it's usually thicker than a non-CF woman. I remember when I was getting IUI and the nurse said, "Oh my, you are definitely ovulating - your cervical mucus is ridiculously thick!" She apparently didn't read my chart about the CF and/or didn't know about it, so that just confirmed to me that it must be thicker than normal.

mamaScarlett

It really depends on your individual makeup. I was told it would take me year to get pregnant, if I was lucky-and that likely I never would. They already had a full IUI/fertility plan for me, before I even started trying. I got pregnant the 2nd month of trying. With my 2nd, they said 'well, we know you can get pregnant, so you'll probably do it fast this time'...it took me a year! Who knows?
This is how pregnancy goes. Its a delicate balance of many different things.

J

JPintheHouse

That's great to hear mamaScarlett that you were able to conceive naturally despite the thick mucus. We are trying for our first too. Thanks for sharing I needed that encouragement. : )

C

cindylou

My two cents for anyone trying to thin the CM to get pregnant - try drinking about a half a cup of grapefruit juice every day around the time of ovulation. It is like a MIRACLE CURE for me! The guaifenesin (mucinex or robitussin) never did anything for me, but once I started the grapefruit juice, I had normal cervical mucus for the first time in my LIFE!

J

jessykt

I got pregnant at 19. I'm now 33 and have been trying for a second baby for about 7 years. I am on the Kalydeco, and just the other day, I told my husband this just might make it possible for me to get pregnant. *GRAPHIC* After having sex, my husband's sperm would just come right back out. I would have to wear a liner because of it. Since on Kalydeco, I've been able to retain his sperm. Here's hoping!!

Are you trying Angel2393? I see you are post transplant. I was actually encouraged by a doctor to abort when I got pregnant at 19 because they thought it too detrimental to my health. They still discourage a second child. I'm worried about being on a brand new drug if I do get pregnant, not knowing really what the risks to the baby would be. Are your doctors supportive of you trying, if you are?

K

kross10911

My gyno has always said my CM looked thicker than normal. I took Mucinex and used Preseed and got pregnant the first time on that combo, prior to that combo I had been trying for six months. I think the preseed really helped because it is so much like "fertile" CM.

Caryb88

I was always told that it is more difficult for a female with cystic fibrosis to get pregnant. With the risk of giving TMI I will say that I lost my virginity at 17 and I have always been against birth control. I havent had many sexual partners and I make sure that since I choose not to use birth control, I make sure the person I am with is someone I wouldnt mind having a child with. I know this sounds bad but I have wanted nothing more out of life than to be a mom. After 3 years of being sexually active and not using birth control, I finally got pregnant. I now have a healthy 3 yr old. Since I had him, I have tried to get pregnant again, but it has been dificult. I have talked to two different obs and neither seemed to think my cf played a part in whether I get pregnant or not. I have had 2 known miscarriages since my son and i cant help but wonder if it has relation to my cf. Reading everyones responses to this has helped me, thank you. I dont get the kind of answers from my drs as i hope to because my Cystic Fibrosis dr is against all cf patients having children.

K

kross10911

Pre-Seed is a lubricant that is safe for sperm and has helped many with conceiving. http://www.preseed.com/ there is the link. I personally will probably never use another lubricant ever because this stuff is the best at creating a "natrural" feel. sorry for the TMI but even my husband noticed right away the difference and complimented it.

J

jessykt

But preseed is just a lubricant and doesn't DO anything to promote pregnancy...right?

S

semperfiohana

jessykt i just want you to know i'm on my 3rd bottle of kalydeco and found out last week that we are expecting number 2!!

Angel2393

SOrry I never responded back- and no im not trying to get pregnant now!! i still have so much left to accomplish but me and my boyfriend had a few slip ups and i never did get pregnant..when most people my age would have, so im scared i may not be able to have children naturally.

J

JPintheHouse

Update: We've been trying since April and nothing yet. I had a fertility appointment yesterday to discuss options. I am going to do the preliminary test along with my husband to check him too just in case. Then we must decide what we want to do. If testings come back ok, my doc is starting me off with 50(mg?) of Clomid. I don't ovulate each month but because I sometimes do she is only going to give me 50mg the first try with an IUI. For us, the treatments are expensive for us, so we will need to wait a bit longer to move forward. Praying it will happen natuarlly still.

semnle34

JP in the House....just saw your post and wanted to tell you about my experience with getting prego. I too tried everything to conceive. After 2 years of trying naturally I decided to try the fertility route. I took Clomid and another injection that I can't remember and attempted IUI. It worked the first round. My doctor told me my issue wasn't whether I was fertile or not it was strictly the amount of mucous that was blocking the swimmers LOL The IUI allowed the doctor to bypass the mucous and place the sperm where they needed to be. My pregnancy was relatively easy minus a lung infection towards the end. Luckily I was able to do a IV round and was feeling good right before the birth. My hubby and I are trying for baby 2. I'm nervous since the first time was a success. I'm afraid of disappointment especially since I'm much sicker now than I was with my first. Keep me posted on your progression. Good Luck!!!!

D

Deb

I had my children many years ago but wanted to say that it varies. Not only from person to person but in each person's current status. As someone said, I think you current health status, drugs you are on, etc may change things.
With my first child after no success in a year we resorted to artificial insemination to bypass the thick mucus. Only took three months. When we decided to have a second child it took more like 7 months of AI. They then told me that I had built in birth control due to my thick mucus. Alas, 10 months after my second child was born I got pregnant naturally. This pregnancy ended in miscarriage but we were shocked that I got pregnant without trying.