Go to meals

Rebjane

Super Moderator
What are some easy quick healthy things you make when your CF child is sick? We're on yet another illness; seems like every 2 weeks....Burnout is looming for me. Cooking can be a pain but of course necessary to keep my CF child fed as well as an every hungry family. Tonight is pancakes. We do turkey burgers ALOT. Frozen pizza. steak and potatoes.

I need ideas. My brain starts to go in another mode when we are on sick mode so cooking is last on the list. Give me your standbys...My family is tired of eating the same thing all the time!

I also try to do a big cook on the weekend. Like a lasagna that makes leftovers. Course lasagna for 3 nites in a row gets tedious. :)

2005CFmom

Super Moderator
Tacos (or taco salad), spaghetti, chicken with stuffing bake, crock pot roast...

Even when we are not sick we get tired of the same old things. I'm not much of a cook so this will be interesting. My girls have varying tastes so it is hard to find something everyone enjoys.

jshet

I think with as busy and burnt out you are becoming, of course cooking has become a huge chore for you. I think the crock pot and slow cooker can be a great friend to you right now. You can put something on early and not have to give it a second though until dinner time. Plus with so many different meals you can make, no one will get bored, and you can get a little break, at least from meal prep.
sme quick ideas are chili, beef stew, pot roast, hot dogs with sauerkraut.
Hope everyone feels better soon, take care.

Rebjane

Super Moderator
I think the crockpot is the way to go. I'll do a crockpot pot roast, this weekend....I've also done like a crockpot pulled pork/pulled chicken.

triples15

Super Moderator
Hey Rebjane!

So one of my easiest go-tos is also a family favorite that everyone loves (or at least will eat. lol!).

It's French's Onion Chicken. I just coat the chicken breast, and slap them in the oven with some diced potatoes, and wallah!! Also, lately I pair almost all of our meals with a vegetable from a steamer bag. Super easy. Target has really good frozen steam-in bags for 99 cents, so you can't go wrong there.

Also, another super easy one is baking a whole chicken. I just recently started doing this and wondered why I hadn't sooner. I just coat it with a little butter or oil, a little salt, and slap it in the oven (usually with potatoes again). It's delicious that way, and then the next day I make pulled chicken sandwiches out of the leftovers. So 2 really easy meals.

As Teri mentioned, we usually do tacos or fajitas, and spaghetti w/meatballs about once a week. Pretty quick and easy, but a little more involved than the 2 I mentioned previously. I also do a crock pot roast with potatoes, carrots, and onions pretty frequently. Definitely can't go wrong there!

Oh, another easy one is sloppy joes. Just brown the ground beef (or turkey) and dump the Manwich or tomato soup on! I usually pair that w/some homemade french fries. Not the healthiest, but quick and easy and people generally like it. ;)

We also have a couple favorite casseroles that are kind of a pain, to be honest, but they make a lot and as a family of 3 we get 2 if not 3 meals out them. So it makes them worth it. They're hashbrown casserole, and something called John Wayne casserole. They are both super yummy. Let me know if you'd ever be interested in the recipe.

Well, those are pretty much my go tos. I hope it helped, and I really hope your little one is feeling better soon!!

Take Care,

Autumn 33 w/CF

chris27rocker

One of my favorites is Spaghetti Casserole: spaghetti noodles, cream if mushroom soup, green pepper, zucchini, yellow squash, black olives. Bake it, top it with cheese.
Delicious chicken: bake chicken breasts with a sauce of cranberry sauce, dry french onion soup mix and French dressing. Serve over rice.
Also, Trader Joe's has prepared, boxed things like pot roast, that you can just nuke and serve - only takes 5 minutes to feed my family of three. Nice as a backup.

S

SeeEff

Hi there :)

I hear ya.
i have no idea what I'm going to make for dinner tonight.

but since you asked, here are some recipes that winners at my house:

tacos

enchiladas

empanadas

meatloaf

baked potato soup

Italian wedding soup

Cheesy chicken rice casserole

chicken cordon blue

parmesan crusted chicken

captain crunch chicken fingers

chicken corn chowder casserole

chili pie

Shepards pie

crockpot pot roast

if you want detailed recipes for any of these. Let me know. I'll send hem to ya :)

S

Shelly43

I get bored of trying to come up with high calorie, high fat, high sodium menus for my CF'er son...But we have made it more interesting by looking through pinterest.com We find alot of new things to try and he is as excited as I am to try something different. Tons of crock pot meals also, I try to use twice a week, with liners to make clean up as easy as the meal. Our go to meal on really busy nights is a loaded baked potatoes.. I buy the extra large ones and bake them in the microwave, (5 mins each side per potato) add butter and sour cream and cheddar cheese and chives.....Quick and easy and satisfying.

Aboveallislove

Super Moderator
I recently discovered "oven bags" and much prefer this to crock pot...so much easier. I get frozen chicken breasts and then anytime I need an easy meal I just plop several in the oven bag, dump in a bottle of b-b-que sauce or a marinade (hawaian chicken), or Italian dressing. Cook low and long and it is easy and delicious and no clean up!!! Another easy go-to for me was a pork loin, rubbed with your favorite rub (Daddy Hinkles is mine) and then 5 minutes before done, put apricot jam on the outside. AND you have leftovers....slice thinly and put with b-b-que sauce on a bun. Ditto re the chicken.

Rebjane

Super Moderator
Thanks for all the ideas. Sometimes even going to the grocery store is just too much when there is sickness in the house. I pulled out the crockpot and made pot roast and veggies; I read somewhere about using the leftovers and using crescent rolls to make a hand pie(I know my son will love this not so much my CF daughter)...

athletixbc

Some quick and easy things I make when I don't have the energy to cook...

1 box mac and cheese
1 large can diced tomatoes
1lb ground beef

cook mac and cheese
brown and drain ground beef and add to mac and cheese
add can diced tomatoes
stir together and serve... my quick version of goulash

Get your favourite flavour of ready to eat soups...usually 540mL or about 18oz.
bring to a boil in saucepan
stir in one cup of minute rice
remove from heat, cover , and let stand for 5 minute

Voila! you have rice pilaf!

Perogies are cheap and fast..boil them in 5 minutes or pan fry them in about 8 minutes. Serve with butter and/or sour cream.