Good RTs and postural drainage positioning

SaraNoH

I'm wondering, how many here, when in the hospital, get a good RT that actually repositions you during postural drainage to target the different lung lobes? Because I've never have. They just sit you up and pound on your back (I don't do PD anymore anyways so it's no biggy to me).

I was discussing this with a classmate of mine awhile back (he's an RT) and I asked how it was when he'd get a patient that requested manual PD instead of the vest. He said it sucked and that he hates it when patients did that because its so tiring (yeah he doesn't seem the best in his field, which is ironic because we were in PTA school which is a field that is VERY physically demanding and tiring....)

Anyways, that's my question. What do you all see?

nmw0615

I really have two problem areas in my lungs, with the rest of it being relatively healthy. When I'm in the hospital, I do two treatments of vest and two of PD. I make sure that the RTs target my problem areas especially hard to hopefully get that gunk moving. Of course, I ask for those spots to be hit as soon as they walk in the door, so that helps, I'm sure.

Ratatosk

Administrator
Staff member
A few years ago when ds was hospitalized for a bowel obstruction, we asked if the rts could do cpt after his surgery. We were told they didn't do that, one didnt know howjust vesting, so dh and I did cpt

mkosborn

I have a question....how do y'all do the Vest in the hospital with your port accessed...of course I am assuming you have a port

markinohio

I am in the hospital right now and do the vest with my port accessed, no problem. My port is located on my left side just below the collar bone. There is some pressure on the port when I do my vest, but not enough to cause discomfort. It probably varies from person to person.

Emer76

I place a mask that comes off of an anbu bag(CPR) over my port while I do my vest. My port is placed on my right side under my armpit. The CPR mask is great because it's hallow but the edges are filled with air so your cushioned against the vest. Just ask a RT for one and if they won't give you one keep asking. The mask will last for a long time I just bring mine back and forth to the hospital with me when I'm amditted.
To answer the question of postural drainage: no. I was informed the last time I was admitted that they don't do that anymore.I have a couple of good RT' s and the rest stink. You're lucky if you can get them to do your back, fronts and sides. Oh, and if your a woman you can forget the front their not comfortable with that. It's not like I'm well endowed. And then the hospital has the nerve to charge your insurance company and you for RT services. Like I said I have a couple of good ones otherwise I do my vest and and put my bed in trendelenburg myself. I'm in the hospital to get better and that is based on ivs and cpt. Sorry I shouldn't have got started on RT services.

sugarcookie

I'm wondering, how many here, when in the hospital, get a good RT that actually repositions you during postural drainage to target the different lung lobes? Because I've never have. They just sit you up and pound on your back (I don't do PD anymore anyways so it's no biggy to me).

I was discussing this with a classmate of mine awhile back (he's an RT) and I asked how it was when he'd get a patient that requested manual PD instead of the vest. He said it sucked and that he hates it when patients did that because its so tiring (yeah he doesn't seem the best in his field, which is ironic because we were in PTA school which is a field that is VERY physically demanding and tiring....)

Anyways, that's my question. What do you all see?

That's the honest truth when your friend who is an RT admitted that it's soooo tiring to do manual PD. It's not like we choose to have CF and choose to need a good beating on our lungs, soooo.....it always hurts my feelings when I get a horrible RT who does horrible PD. Most are so bad that I would do better without it and walk a couple laps around the hallways instead (if I could). I always ask when they are barely hitting me if they could do it harder, but you would think I just asked for a million dollars. My solution is to bring in my manual percussor from home and do it myself (if I am up to it), or get my husband to do manual PD for me when he comes. Unfortunately the Vest (which I don't use) has made RT very lazy. But I do have to give lot's of credit to the rare RT who comes in and wacks on my lungs like there is no tomorrow and gets me coughing like a champ. I tell them how great they are at their job and it is greatly appreciated!

OH, my question to you is that you say no more PD for you. What do you do instead? Did you have a tx?

sugarcookie

One of the best stories I have when I was in the hospital once (at my children's clinic, not where I am currently), was my RT FELL ASLEEP doing my PD. LOL! She was standing up and was hardly beating my and then it got slowwwweeer and slowwweeer and then stopped. I turned to look at her and she was sound asleep standing up. Awesome! (that was sarcastic).