H1N1 how did you go over there?

dasjsmum

Hi

We're into summer and they're revving up the H1N1 again, asking people to be immunised. I'm wondering how you all got on in the US and other countries?

Did you find it was as bad as it seemed to be or was predicted to be? I know we have lost a few members in your *US* winter...do you think many were H1N1 related (dont want to be insensitive or anything, just trying to gauge the effect on cfers)

Do you think the vaccination is worth following through (I know some of you will think that's a dumb question, but I read about side effects and was concerned about that).

dasjsmum

Hi

We're into summer and they're revving up the H1N1 again, asking people to be immunised. I'm wondering how you all got on in the US and other countries?

Did you find it was as bad as it seemed to be or was predicted to be? I know we have lost a few members in your *US* winter...do you think many were H1N1 related (dont want to be insensitive or anything, just trying to gauge the effect on cfers)

Do you think the vaccination is worth following through (I know some of you will think that's a dumb question, but I read about side effects and was concerned about that).

dasjsmum

Hi

dasjsmum

Hi

dasjsmum

Hi
<br />
<br />We're into summer and they're revving up the H1N1 again, asking people to be immunised. I'm wondering how you all got on in the US and other countries?
<br />
<br />Did you find it was as bad as it seemed to be or was predicted to be? I know we have lost a few members in your *US* winter...do you think many were H1N1 related (dont want to be insensitive or anything, just trying to gauge the effect on cfers)
<br />
<br />Do you think the vaccination is worth following through (I know some of you will think that's a dumb question, but I read about side effects and was concerned about that).

Ratatosk

Administrator
Staff member
My husband (no cf) caught it while on a business trip before the vaccine was available. He said his lungs burned, felt heavy, were very congested. He was concerned should DS get it that he not fare so well. DH said it was the sickest he'd ever been and he'd gotten the flu in the past.

I think the key is to make sure you have tamiflu available, so if you do get symptoms. You take it right away. The problem DH had and others from this site and others is that they went to the clinic and had a rapid swab done and were told they didn't have it, so no tamiflu was prescribed. Only to find out later thru a more extensive testing OR symptoms that they did in fact have H1N1 and by then it was too late to take tamiflu. We have since learned that the rapid flu test is not very accurate.

We were able to get DS vaccinated eventually. Was nervewracking because there was a lot of absenteesism at his school, schools and work in our area in general.

As for side effects -- no one in my family or at work had any symptoms. In fact, our arms weren't even sore -- unlike with the seasonal flu shots.

Ratatosk

Administrator
Staff member
My husband (no cf) caught it while on a business trip before the vaccine was available. He said his lungs burned, felt heavy, were very congested. He was concerned should DS get it that he not fare so well. DH said it was the sickest he'd ever been and he'd gotten the flu in the past.

I think the key is to make sure you have tamiflu available, so if you do get symptoms. You take it right away. The problem DH had and others from this site and others is that they went to the clinic and had a rapid swab done and were told they didn't have it, so no tamiflu was prescribed. Only to find out later thru a more extensive testing OR symptoms that they did in fact have H1N1 and by then it was too late to take tamiflu. We have since learned that the rapid flu test is not very accurate.

We were able to get DS vaccinated eventually. Was nervewracking because there was a lot of absenteesism at his school, schools and work in our area in general.

As for side effects -- no one in my family or at work had any symptoms. In fact, our arms weren't even sore -- unlike with the seasonal flu shots.

Ratatosk

Administrator
Staff member

Ratatosk

Administrator
Staff member

Ratatosk

Administrator
Staff member
<br />
<br />I think the key is to make sure you have tamiflu available, so if you do get symptoms. You take it right away. The problem DH had and others from this site and others is that they went to the clinic and had a rapid swab done and were told they didn't have it, so no tamiflu was prescribed. Only to find out later thru a more extensive testing OR symptoms that they did in fact have H1N1 and by then it was too late to take tamiflu. We have since learned that the rapid flu test is not very accurate.
<br />
<br />We were able to get DS vaccinated eventually. Was nervewracking because there was a lot of absenteesism at his school, schools and work in our area in general.
<br />
<br />As for side effects -- no one in my family or at work had any symptoms. In fact, our arms weren't even sore -- unlike with the seasonal flu shots.

saveferris2009

I recommend getting vaccinated.

Many adult CFer's i know from cf2chat.com had the H1N1 and it really gave them huge issues, even with Tamiflu.

We also unfortunately had a CFer or two pass from H1N1.

Vaccine is a no brainer. Take care

saveferris2009

Many adult CFer's i know from cf2chat.com had the H1N1 and it really gave them huge issues, even with Tamiflu.

saveferris2009

saveferris2009

saveferris2009

<br />
<br />Many adult CFer's i know from cf2chat.com had the H1N1 and it really gave them huge issues, even with Tamiflu.
<br />
<br />We also unfortunately had a CFer or two pass from H1N1.
<br />
<br />Vaccine is a no brainer. Take care

hmw

We all ended up getting sick with H1N1 here; outbreaks hit our schools before the vaccine could cover Emily. Her brother got it first.. She DID start Tamiflu while she was still asymptomatic and never had acute symptoms as severe as his (i.e. his fever was 103-104* for several days, hers was only about 101* and other symptoms were a bit milder) but she did develop a nasty secondary bronchitis that took much longer to clear up than her typical exacerbations do. I also developed a nasty bronchitis... the worst cough I've had in years, which I would not wish on anyone with cf.

As posted by others, Tamiflu is a valuable thing to have with this flu, but it wasn't a miracle worker: If the vaccine can prevent it altogether, that is so much better! I wish we could have gotten it a little sooner, but it was so widespread by October and the vaccine just wasn't available at that point.

So, I'd really recommend the vaccine... the risks of this flu to the higher risk population are well-documented and the vaccine is such an easy preventative thing to do.

hmw

We all ended up getting sick with H1N1 here; outbreaks hit our schools before the vaccine could cover Emily. Her brother got it first.. She DID start Tamiflu while she was still asymptomatic and never had acute symptoms as severe as his (i.e. his fever was 103-104* for several days, hers was only about 101* and other symptoms were a bit milder) but she did develop a nasty secondary bronchitis that took much longer to clear up than her typical exacerbations do. I also developed a nasty bronchitis... the worst cough I've had in years, which I would not wish on anyone with cf.

As posted by others, Tamiflu is a valuable thing to have with this flu, but it wasn't a miracle worker: If the vaccine can prevent it altogether, that is so much better! I wish we could have gotten it a little sooner, but it was so widespread by October and the vaccine just wasn't available at that point.

So, I'd really recommend the vaccine... the risks of this flu to the higher risk population are well-documented and the vaccine is such an easy preventative thing to do.

hmw

hmw

hmw

<br />
<br />As posted by others, Tamiflu is a valuable thing to have with this flu, but it wasn't a miracle worker: If the vaccine can prevent it altogether, that is so much better! I wish we could have gotten it a little sooner, but it was so widespread by October and the vaccine just wasn't available at that point.
<br />
<br />So, I'd really recommend the vaccine... the risks of this flu to the higher risk population are well-documented and the vaccine is such an easy preventative thing to do.