Has anyone tried a gluten free diet?

baco623

My GI symptoms have been getting worse and worse as of late. My doctors just switched my enzymes but I think there is something more I could be doing. I have been doing some research and have seen that more people than we realize are alergic to gluten. Has anyone with CF tried going with a gluten free diet? How did it make you feel? Was your diet extremely restricted? Please help!!

jaimers

Super Moderator
Hey, if you search the forums for "gluten free", "dairy free", Paleo or Primal diet, and Weston A. Price diet you should come up with many threads about gluten free diets. There are quite a few people on here that follow a gluten free (or close to free) diet and love it. I personally follow the Paleo (ish) diet though I still eat dairy because I love it and even when i stopped eating it for a while I didn't notice any adverse reactions to it and I didn't feel more congested or notice my mucus was thicker. I need the fat from it and I love milk, cheese and ice cream so I eat it. Now I would say I follow a gluten free diet 85-90% of the time. I do not actually have a gluten allergy but I generally feel better (more energy, less tired and sluggish feeling) when I eat gluten free.

I personally do not feel like my diet is extremely restricted but I allow myself to cheat occasionally. So if i'm really craving pizza or something like that I'll eat it. I can tell i've had gluten but again, I don't actually have an allergy so other than making me feel tired, sluggish and kind of bloated I'm ok. I love vegetables and meat so that's primarily what I eat with lots of good, healthy fats and some nuts and fruits thrown in there. and the ever present monkey on my back: sugar. can't seem to completely break that habit ;)

hope this is helpful. please feel free to ask more questions if you have them or can't find the older threads.

Beccamom

The nutritionist at my CF clinic recommended a gluten free diet because I had bloating. If I am completely consistent for 3 days I have no bloating. If I eat 1 meal in a day with gluten I bloat, but my stomach is back down by morning. If I have 2 items with glutin in a day it takes another 3 days for the bloating to fully go away. I also have less GI issues without glutin on Azythromycin days. Since I take Azythromycin on Mon, Wed, and Fri those are the days I try to be very Gluten free.

My GI symptoms have been getting worse and worse as of late. My doctors just switched my enzymes but I think there is something more I could be doing. I have been doing some research and have seen that more people than we realize are alergic to gluten. Has anyone with CF tried going with a gluten free diet? How did it make you feel? Was your diet extremely restricted? Please help!!

keefer11

I tried gluten free for at least 6 weeks and didn't notice a difference. I was trying it more for my joints, but didn't notice much in my GI system, either. I did notice I craved sweets less, which was good for my diabetes :) I still each mostly GF because my boyfriend has to eat GF and I really don't think it does much for me. Stopping drinking milk did help me, though.

Sometimes when I would go out it would be really hard to find gluten free options when all I wanted was a snack, so at times it was a little frustrating.

Just to warn you the first 3-6 days I was VERY constipated, but the constipation went away afterwards and didn't come back. So if you get constipated, don't worry it will go away soon enough.

Bobs Red Mill makes a pretty good mix for pizza dough and also a good all purpose flour which I use often. Udi's bread is pretty good and is generally found in the frozen section.

AnnieT

My brother doesn't have CF but he has lung issues like mine, bronch. and possibly NOW, Primary Cilia Dyskensia. For him, it has reduced his congestion (sinuses, chronic cough) he is also dairy free. I believe in alternative medicine and diets compared to antibiotics which I am now resistant too. My thoughts are to try it-see if you notice a difference it wouldn't hurt any :)

G

goherbs87654

Hello baco623, I can't imagine undergoing a gluten-free diet. Beccamom switched to gluten-free diet because she has some bloating issues. Are you having the same issue as hers? May I know why are you switching to gluten free diet? There are other diets that you could do.