Have a little fun question for your worst day being hospitalized

what is the worst day of doing hospital/iv meds? is your least favorite day your the first day of being admitted to the hospital. being released from the hospital to do home ivs or the last day of your iv meds? Why?

nmw0615

For me, the worst day has nothing to do with IVs. My worst day usually hits around day 10 or 11, when I am feeling better but not ready to be released, the reality of the outside world continuing without me hits, and I've run out of things to do. My family and I call it my depressed day. It's the one day I give myself to feel absolutely sorry for myself. I wallow and cry at anything, feel like the unluckiest person in the world. I only give myself one day though, the next day I am back to normal and can handle the rest of my stay.

nocode

I had a particularly bad day once last year when I started taking Prednisone AND Zoloft on the same day. Talk about a bad trip!! I was twisting and turning in the hospital bed all day with hallucinations, panic attacks, etc. The next day everything went back to normal and I should add that Zoloft has been a life safer. The problem was the interaction between the 2 starting on the same day.

Other than that, my worst days at the hospital, in general, are when I start reaching a point when I'm fed up of having my privacy invaded every 10 minutes (about 5 days in), and/or a day where things don't go as planned, for instance if they decide to draw blood from my artery when the doctor told me that would not happen anymore. Inconsistencies (while hospitalized) make me super stressed out.

Jennyvb17

Worst day is Day 2, drugs have kicked in and I'm officially feeling like crap, plus they are usually putting the picc in that day.

Best day is 2 days after the picc is pulled and I get a real shower for the first time in weeks!

markinohio

My worst days were about four years ago. I had to have colon surgery. It was quite a painful experience every time I tried to cough due to the dozen or so staples holding my skin closed. The best day was when they took those staples out.

lilmac1177

admission day is by far the worst! you already feel like total crap but can't rest because of the intake: med hx, med orders, more questions, IV insertion, etc, then almost always i have to go what seems like forever w/o a treatment and food until all the orders are in...

as far as my worst day ... it was more a whole admission in July 2011! it was that admission i had my first bronchoscopy, my first need for bipap and my first embolization. it felt like a nightmare at the time! thank the good Lord i haven't had to face any of that since and i hope it's a long, long time before i do...

my actual admissions usually last about five days then i go home for the duration of entire course of IVs (about 14 days total as long as i'm on the upswing)

nmw0615

How long do you do your Iv meds?

My typical hospital stay was two weeks, with the rare occasional opportunity to go home on IV meds to finish out the two weeks. My last two stays have lasted 28 days and 21 days each, and I'm back in the hospital after a month away. This stay may be another longer one, since we're trying to kill the MRSA I just cultured.

azdesertrat

I think my worst day(s) were when I had C-Diff. I had to have an antibiotic enema every 4 hours. Then there was the colonoscopy prep when I messed my bed about 7 times & had to strip bare-assed naked in front of several women 7 or so times. I guess if you want the run-of-the-mill worst day it would have to be the first day. The constant questions & IV's being started are awful. I hate being stuck. It hurts & my veins are starting to go real bad so its real hard to get a vein. The whole idea of hospitalization makes me wanna gag! I wish I would never have to go back, but I know better...

kristal k

Colon surgery was definitely most painful, but scariest was waking up in the hosp. after being on a vent. for 5 days and seeing the look on my husbands face. Of course I went out on a weekend so my reg drs weren't around and the drs at e.r. told them I was gonna die. They convinced him to do a bronchoscopy after I was walking down the hallway with the vent still in..... worst day was about 2 days after when the pain meds stopped helping and I realized they were giving me 80mg of prednisone when I was only 95 lbs. I have a hard time staying in bed on 40mg. I was home by day 8 and had the best shower of my life!
I'm never gonna live that one down, any time I have a rough day I have to convince him I don't need meds till day 3 if I'm still worse, so my tolerance doesn't build too fast.