Have you ever received PT in a hospital?

SIcklyhatED

So I'm a student PTA and we've briefly touched on the subject of possibly giving PT (exercise, chest percussion etc) to pulmonary patients. I think it's cool that I may be able to work with these types of patients because like most CFers I have an interest in it. However, in my mind it seems like something that is most in the RTs territory, specifically chest percussion. But lo and behold there are sections in my textbooks that go over chest PT.
So I'm wondering how many of you have ever received PT while in the hospital? Personally I never have because I don't stay more than 4 or 5 days. Again, I'm not clear on how common or uncommon this is and would love some input.

lilmac1177

<span style="font-family: tahoma, arial, helvetica, sans-serif; color: #3366ff;">i have received chest PT from both an RT and PT... <span style="font-family: tahoma, arial, helvetica, sans-serif; color: #3366ff;">when i used to be seen in Morgantown, chest PT was always done by an RT. it's just how it was! LOL <span style="font-family: tahoma, arial, helvetica, sans-serif; color: #3366ff;">however, i moved and switched care centers to Johns Hopkins where chest PT is done by a PT. at first i thought it was weird, but i guess only because i wasn't accustomed to it. NOW i wouldn't have it any other way! as a matter of fact, the RTs that i've had experience with at Hopkins seem very lazy and i don't think even know HOW to do manual chest PT! i understand that their program may be different w/ PTs doing PT rather than an RT, but the RTs are called upon for evening and overnite sessions if needed so they should know what they're doing...

Printer

I have also. If you think that you will be allowed near a CF patient in a hospital, I have some oceanfront land in Montana that I want to sell you.

Bill

Aboveallislove

Super Moderator
I do hope both for your sake and the sake of other patients that you won't be doing PT on anyone with lung disease, whether CF or otherwise. Have you discussed with them?

SIcklyhatED

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote><i>Originally posted by: <b>Aboveallislove</b></i> I do hope both for your sake and the sake of other patients that you won't be doing PT on anyone with lung disease, whether CF or otherwise. Have you discussed with them?</end quote>
I'm not sure yet. But it's very likely that at some point in my career I'll encounter pulmonary patients. I will have to decide when the time comes whether or not I will work with those individuals and will probably say to them, "Hey, I have this disease, is it okay if I work with you?" I can't imagine how clinicians with AIDS must feel.... But I'm trying to keep myself healthy enough that that wont be a problem.

MMBinNC

I get it from a PT when I'm in the hospital.

Side note: most of them suck at it because they have to do so many and their arms get tired.

T

TonyaH

I believe clinicians with AIDS are at greater riskFROM their patients than they are TO their patients. Universal precautions protect people from bloodborne pathogens much more effectively than airborne.
I do not believe CF patients should be able to work with other respiratory patients, for the sake of both parties. I'm all for having goals and doing everything you can to achieve them. But I'm also for making <span style="text-decoration: underline;">realistic goals. There are many ways to practice physical therapy outside of the pulmonary community.

Aboveallislove

Super Moderator
If you don't want to cross path's with pulmonary patients--I wouldn't if I had CF--you should be able to obtain a reasonable accommodation to have different clientale. (Let me know if you want more details on this). I would also imagine that hospitals/out-patient employers have protocals for handling these issues--as oppose to you just asking the patient--because the hospital would be legally liable if the patient is injured. I know it is hard (and "unfair"--like all of CF), but as you move forward you might want to discuss how these things are generally handled with those in your training program so you are prepared to discuss/handle with your future employer. Good luck!!

lilywing

I get chest physio therapy three times/day from a physio therapist while in hospital, every single admission. Is this a Canadian protocol? I don't know. From what I understand, different countries have different plans of treatment?

S

Shelly43

My son has never had PT from anyone but me? like when the power was out and the vest wouldn't work, lol
I know as a mom I get upset when they send my son, anill RT, my god he is already in the hospital? do we really need more illness? They say not to let family upthat are ill? then send me a sick RT? so I generally end up doing the treatments my self and send the sniffling RT away.....So annoying...
So as a mom if I found they had sent a CF, Pt up to touch my son? I'm be livid.. Just saying...

Hardak

Depends on the hospital but frankly I think it otta be mandatory while your there, I do so much better with chest percussion vs other forms of RT.

AnnieT

I received it once in 2001 during a hospital stay. Now everytime I'm admitted I have the vest-love that thing!

SIcklyhatED

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote><i>Originally posted by: <b>TonyaH</b></i> I believe clinicians with AIDS are at greater riskFROM their patients than they are TO their patients. Universal precautions protect people from bloodborne pathogens much more effectively than airborne. </end quote>
Oh, I meant the whole "personal disclosure" issue. It was just something we discussed in my Law & Ethics class, whether or not a professional with AIDS should disclose that information to their patients etc. Ineresting stuff.
Personally, I don't think I want to work in a hospital because of all the sickness, but I know that I'll be doing at least 1 clinical rotation in one, which is fine. I need to learn that stuff anyways. Maybe I can stick to Skilled Nursing Facilities or Outpatient. I was just curious as to how prevalent chest therapy given by PTs.