help building muscle post lung transplant

thisisme

So I had a lung transplant in 2004 11 years ago, am 39 now, male, with CF, I feel like Im a good weight considering my size and don't necessarily need to put on any more just general weight but do want to put on some muscle weight. Can anyone direct me to a good routine of getting into? I do have some dumbbells and weight bench, which I occasionally do but need a good plan on getting more muscle in my arms and legs. Or maybe some of you with CF who work with weights can give me some insight on doing this. Thanks - See more at: http://forum.cysticfibrosis.com/thr...cle-post-lung-transplant#sthash.sQneMV7J.dpuf

Oboe

I don't really know your physical capabilities and limitations, but I hear Stronglift 5x5 is a pretty good starting routine. A workout basically consists of 3 different lifts (out of 5) at 5 sets of 5 apiece. I'm sure it could be tailored to what you can handle so you're not pushing yourself too hard. Personally, my health isn't great so I just work out in my house with some dumbells and pushups and stretches. I'm obviously not going to get bulky, but I certainly feel a difference. I'd probably try the 5x5 if I weren't too turned off by the idea of trying to work out in a gym with my oxygen and requiring a lot of breaks around a lot of people.

jaimers

Super Moderator
Check out the exercise forum and do a search for "weightlifting." There are some older threads that I think could be helpful for you in starting a routine. There are a couple of people here that are very serious weightlifters so hopefully they will chime in. I personally do Crossfit and modify it as needed. I've found the body weight exercises (squats, push-ups, pull ups, lunges) to be really helpful for building up my muscles and helping me be able to lift more weight in the Olympic lifting part.