help GAINING WEIGHT

Epona

I agree with Marc0198 and Godfrey. Gaining fat ain't gonna work that well, trying to gain muscle with exercise and working out is probably the best bet. Also, DO NOT rely on the junk food that corporations like to label as nutritonal supplements like Scandishake and ensure. They are full of inflammatory crap and worsen digestion and can contribute to lung exacerbations. Eating high-calorie whole foods is the only good option.

Also calories ingested DO NOT EQUAL calories digested. We may intake 3000 calories, but if 2000 of that is from processed junk food (sugars, refined carbs, vegetable oils, processed protein powders, processed dairy, etc.) then you may only be absorbing a fraction of what you put in your mouth, and at the same time causing yourself serious digestive problems and systemic inflammation. I discuss this at this post: http://cfnaturalhealth.weebly.com/blog/calories-ingested-vs-calories-digested

S

skifreek

I use optimum nutrition pro complex gainer... ( decent price on amazon )
650 calories per scoop, 60g protein, and hardly any filler if any at all. Low on sugars and has a good vit/minerals level.

I take half a scoop in the morning with water ..... and one whole scoop with a cup of milk and cup of water mixture after I lift at the gym.

Nothing but good results. I'm 34, 5'9" and weighing in currently at 178.

With cf, for me at least, if I don't lift heavy at the gym at least 3 X per week, my weight begins to fall at roughly 5 lbs per 2.5 weeks give or take a lb or 2..... i know what i need to eat to keep my weight up and body fat at a minimum, but I'm not nearly rich enough to be able to eat clean with high protein and low fat foods as that gets pretty expensive week in and week out yet keeping the calories high...

zaj1139

My 6 yr old grandson who has been in the hospital since 5/23 for a tune up is having a g-tube put in tomorrow. I was hoping for any positive feed back? Both my daughter and I are kinda freaking out even though this is probably best since he just won't gain weight!

Dowling

Pack more calories/ nutrition into what you already eat ! I would love it of you Pm'd me a daily food log and I could tweak it. Right now my two year old eats about 2400 calories a day and we all know how picky they can be. I can't control how many bites she'll take, but I can make each bite count!!! My recipes are packed with good fats and nutrition and they taste delicious!!!

Diana Blue

My son, 18, lost 15 lbs. the osteopath wrote a scrip for marinol ( synthetic THC). It worked a bit to stimulate appetite, but since we live in CA, we have legal cannabis available. He vapes it at night and has really helped appetite. This combined with breast milk bought at local milk bank, and high protein, coconut oil shakes have enabled him to gain back 12 lbs in 7 weeks ( and we're not stopping).

diana

J

jmark2929

Hello, Thanks for the discussion on the topic gaining a weight.

To gain the weight first of all you should take proper diet and healthy food and take also good supplements. for gaining the weight .

By taking good supplements for gaining a weight you should also take care of exercises. by which you will easily maintain your body and fitness also gain a weight easily.

donin

Hi - sorry to hear about your weight issues. People in the non-CF world cannot understand the challenge. When my son was a child I relied on Scandi-shake and Ensure Plus (interestingly, he vastly prefers the Walmart store brand and he will not drink Boost). He drinks 6 per day. He has been prescribed Marinol when his appetite was really flagging.

imported_Momto2

I dont have problems with putting on weight, but I have expeience with it RE my eldest daughter who was adopted at 1 year old and was severe failure to thrive. We added small amounts (not detectable) of olive oil, butter, powdered suppliment to all her foods. We were able to easily increase her calorie intake by almost 100% (while feeding her a very healthy regular diet) and she put on the pounds quickly, grew normally, and never looked back. I know its different in a CF adult, but I remember when I was a child and severe failure to thrive (39 pounds at age 10!), my parents were advised to stuff me with whatever I would eat, even if it was crap food. I would HIGHLY suggest you NOT do this. Instead, take relatively healthy foods, like veggies, fruit, or yogurt, and boost them up calorically so you get dense nutritional content as well as the calories. You dont want to be stuffing yourself full of sugar.

Rickengelage

Hey

I would say eat high value nutrition, not just junk food and snacks.
Try protein shakes, its easy to take.
Try juices and smoothies.
Combine that with some weight lifting and you will gain weight
Healthy weight.

Try to take as much liqued food, its easierxto digest for your body so that it doesnt have to spend as much energy digesting food all the time.

Thats my tips, hope it can help you!
Good luck!

Rick.