HELP! I'm producing way too much mucus!

Cados

Hi all, i hope you are well.
I am in a bit of a situation and i hope somebody can give me some tips. For the past 3-4 weeks, because of what assume is a chest infection, i have been coughing up extra mucus. Due to having pseudomonas i natural have to do a lot of airway clearance, but i have gone from 2 airway clearance sessions a day to 3, i have taken Tobi twice daily for 4 weeks, i am on antibiotics. I am clearing about a quarter of a cup PER session. Close to a cup by the end of the day. I have spoke with my health team and they suggest i am doing everything i can and suggest a possible admission. I just want to see if anybody has had a similar problem and has perhaps found a way to ease the volume of mucus. It is becoming very tiring to remove and i am starting to feel tight in the chest despite my efforts. Would be great to hear any thoughts, her is some addition info.
Double df508
20 years old
40% FEV1
airway clearance: saline + Pari Pep, sometimes flutter and/or autogenic drainage

Help much appreciated!
- Caden

suziesmom

Hi Caden. My daughter is 24 with CF. A couple of times she has had a "mucous plug" where she has the same symptoms as the ones you are describing. She has been on Tobi before but for her it made her very nauseated and she now does Cayston instead. Be aware, nothing works for everyone and you should always ask your doctors. Whenever she is having an exacerbation she drinks hot peppermint tea with honey. It seems to help. Also, are you propping up your head and chest when you sleep? That seems to help as well. One time a couple of years ago she just "threw up" a LOT of mucous. Scared me so bad, but after that she was so much better. Some people say that taking a brisk walk in the cold helps too. I don't know as my daughter is certainly not a fan of cold weather! I am thinking of you, Caden, and hope that you are better soon. Stay AWAY from cigarette smoke. As far away as you can get.

Cados

Thanks for the reply suziesmom! Yes the mucus plugs are something i tend come across the last couple of years. I have never used Cayston, i have heard of it before but for some reason the doctors have never mentioned it. Maybe its not popular in Australia, i might ask next time. Yes i always prop my head up when i sleep and i tend to sleep on my side or stomach too. I would take a walk in the cold except we have been experiencing a heat wave, consisting of 40-44° Celsius days! haha. :)
Yes i can't stand cigarette smoke! If i am out with friends and the wind starts blowing smoke towards me i have to move immediately. I have spoken to my healthcare team and decided that i will most likely go in for an admission next week. My 21st is in a few weeks and i want to feel well :)
Thanks for the well wishes!

suziesmom

Caden, You are most welcome for the reply. I am sending many well wishes your way. And if I don't hear from you before your 21st............ Happy Birthday to you!

Cados

Thank you for your well wishes! I went in for an admission for 2 weeks and came out in time for my 21st and my course start up. I am steady in lung function and have continued diligence in medication, airway clearance, exercise and other routines. I have fears of a high mucus production starting again, but for now i am alright.

K

kgfrompa

Hi hope you are feeling well I just want to say this was happening to me every time I was on TOBI and each and every month i would have so much mucus it took three years to figure out the Tobi was doing it got off TOBI and it reduced my mucus as soon as i stopped now this is just for me and what I happened to me.I am now doing Cayston and Colisten,oN A MONTH OFF A MONTH.