Help Please-bleeding nose

Aboveallislove

Super Moderator
DS nose has been running so much and blown so much the inside is raw and when he blows he is in excruiating pain and little spots of blood. Is there a prescription med they give tohelp? Vaseline? (Safe for CF in nose?) Other suggestions?
Thanks in advance all on this and other post..

kenna2

Benadryl to help dry up his nose. Also if he does nasal rinse, use 3 drops of Johnson and Johnson's baby shampoo with saline mixture to help break and clean out sinuses. My ENT who specialized in CF recommends this. My nose was running and I was sneezing a couple of weeks ago and I used this and it cleared it up in 2 or 3 days. Vaseline is good for moisture for dry skin or any type of facial cream...must be a cream. The thickness helps keep moisture in. I learned this trick from years of winter swim team. CeraVe is the best brand and found at any drug store. Also steam and vicks vapor rub under the nose helps too.

Mom2girls

My daughter used to have terrible bloody noses. We'd wake up to what looked like a crime scene in her room.....how could it splatter on her walls??? Anyway, we use saline nasal spray and either bacitrcin or vaseline in her nostril 2x/day. It helps a lot. We did end up having one nostril cauterized this past summer and may do the other if she'd sedated for something again and still has bloody noses frequently. Been much better lately.
One dr recommended using afrin to help stop a bloody nose but I never tried it as it sounded odd to me...I think it was a pulmonologist who recommended it.