Help please!!!

megan420

Im experiencing extreme sharp pains in one area of my chest and nothing is helping!!! Its worst when I cough. Im wondering if its a collapsed lung, never had one before. Please let me know if you have gone through one and what was your symptoms.

kevin9877

I don't have CF, I am a Respiratory Therapist. The only way to diagnose a collapsed lung is to have a doctor listen to your lung sounds and a chest x-ray to confirm. Try calling your doctor if you don't think its an emergency. Otherwise, you may want to visit an urgent care or emergency room if you really think you have a collapsed lung. My 2 cents.

LittleLab4CF

Super Moderator
A cough is so painful it literally splays your arms and body each time? Otherwise you can breathe without pain, or very little discomfort? Pleural effusion or an intra-pleural pocket of infection differs from pleurisy in that breathing isn't a pain with each breath, feeling like an adhesion. I often present hemoptysis along with a bout of pleural effusion. My first bout of pleural effusion hit over a weekend, of course so I dealt with a frightening mystery a few days. No pain this potent can be a minor problem therefore, panic. If you don't own a home pulse-Ox meter, buy one now and monitor your oxygen concentration. On these weekend or night time emergencies, a home set of thermometer, BP cuff and pulse-Ox finger monitor can help determine the extent of an emergency. I have a few added goodies but the "vitals" of heart, oxygenation, temperature immediately measures if you are sick.

The 420 in your handle indicates that you might use medical marijuana. If I'm in error please excuse the presumption. My point is vaporized MM is inhaled and can cause irritation deep into the lungs. Not debating whether this is good or bad for a person it occasionally generates an extremely deeply sourced cough. I have blown out some strange calcifications that have been on Xray for decades. The first one I thought I was dying the next one I was hoping for a merciful end. Just a thought because MM is a terpenoid or pulmonary irritant.

Feel better soon,

LL

megan420

Thank you, and yes thats what the number is but i havent done that in years just never got around to changing my name on here. Thanks!

BreeAlysia

A cough is so painful it literally splays your arms and body each time? Otherwise you can breathe without pain, or very little discomfort? Pleural effusion or an intra-pleural pocket of infection differs from pleurisy in that breathing isn't a pain with each breath, feeling like an adhesion. I often present hemoptysis along with a bout of pleural effusion. My first bout of pleural effusion hit over a weekend, of course so I dealt with a frightening mystery a few days. No pain this potent can be a minor problem therefore, panic. If you don't own a home pulse-Ox meter, buy one now and monitor your oxygen concentration. On these weekend or night time emergencies, a home set of thermometer, BP cuff and pulse-Ox finger monitor can help determine the extent of an emergency. I have a few added goodies but the "vitals" of heart, oxygenation, temperature immediately measures if you are sick.

The 420 in your handle indicates that you might use medical marijuana. If I'm in error please excuse the presumption. My point is vaporized MM is inhaled and can cause irritation deep into the lungs. Not debating whether this is good or bad for a person it occasionally generates an extremely deeply sourced cough. I have blown out some strange calcifications that have been on Xray for decades. The first one I thought I was dying the next one I was hoping for a merciful end. Just a thought because MM is a terpenoid or pulmonary irritant.

Feel better soon,

LL

Thanks for this info. I am also having a similar problem. I have been experiencing similar symptoms for the past week- chest pain, worse when I cough, hard to breathe in. Also, I have a pulse ox monitor and my oxygen level has been lower than it usually is. I saw my pulmnologist a few days ago and I am going for a chest xray today to see if it's pluerisy. I have also had an increase of hemoptysis. Do you know, if it is either pluerisy or something like that... is there any treatment? I am getting tired of the chest pain.

LittleLab4CF

Super Moderator
BreeAlysia,

Pleurisy and pleural effusion are caused by infection at the pleural membrane in some form or other. Antibiotics, yah, I know, anyway antibiotics typically clear up the infection causing either pleurisy or pleural effusion. That's the only treatment I've ever gotten for it and it has always worked, so far. We have a double lining around our lungs. One pleural membrane contains the lungs, wraps around each lobe containing its shape and air tight quality. Inside our ribcage and over the diaphram is another membrane sac that defines our breathing cavity and keeps it air tight. Normally these membranes slip past each other in painless breathing. When infection occurs between the membranes causing plueral effusion, a non adhering pocket of infection. Pleurisy is an inflamation of th pleura making the rubbing of the membranes extremely painful. Heat alternating with cold help a little.

LL