hemoptysis caused by zithromax?

DjFunkyFife

Hi everyone, I'm looking for some help here: a few weeks ago I was coughing up blood for about 3-4 nights that week, while I was on the Tobi podhaler.. I stopped it and it went away... (Doc said that doing Tobi pod without doing albuterol inhaler first could cause broncospasms) so the bleeding was gone for a week. Well Saturday Dec 28th, I took zithromax, in the morning, and coughed up blood that night. Nothing happened Sunday, Monday the 30th, took zithromax, then coughed up blood that night. That was a week ago, and I haven't coughed up blood since, and haven't taken zithromax since... Until this morning, I took zithromax again (Monday the 6th) well tonight, coughed up blood, again!!! Each time happens when I lay down for bed. I cough, it feels different, I know blood is coming. It doesn't last very long... Maybe 5-10 minutes per episode. Probably about 50ml blood each episode. I already read about how changes in posture can make the blood start coming. My question is this: everything I've read tells me that zithromax does not cause hemoptysis, and actually is used to treat it, but in my case it seems to be causing it.... What gives????

Can anyone shed light on this?

I should add that during that week of bleeding on Tobi, I was also taking zithromax, m/w/f... So that could have been playing a part. Zithromax has never caused me bleeding like this before. This has only happened to me one other time about 5 years ago, and it was fixed with an antibiotic. I've had isolated episodes here and there maybe once to twice a year where I might bleed once, then it hibernates for another 6 months.

Don't know if any of this matters, but, I'm a 31 year old male... Pfts in about the 70 range. I am currently on cipro and doxycycline for some type of infection, but that's only been for about the past 5 days. This zithromax thing seems completely independent of anything!

AttyMom

Sorry to hear your troubles. I've been on Zithromax every day (250) and have not had any hemoptysis. You should talk with your doctor.

stonefly07

I was taking Zitrhomax 500 mgs once a day for over a year and I never had any bleeding at all. I hope this helps ease your mind, but then again, everyone is different and has different reactions to medication. I hope it gets better soon......

LeftY

Hello mate.
I just come to forum to search for 1 thing, and thats why do i have hemoptysis so often...
Then i saw your post and i decided to read it... and guess what?
I have SAME problems as you! Its basically same thing, i use Sumamed [(Azitromycin) - same as Zithromax but its european name] 3 times per week, m/w/f same like you.
Everywhere where did i read about Azitromycin (Sumamed, Zithromax etc), it doesnt say that they cause hemoptysis.
Currently i use only Azitromycin and inhalations for my treatment so there isnt anything that could cause hemoptysis...
Its so frustrating and annoying every often when i lay down to bed, or wake up at night, that i cough blood, to be honest, im starting to freaking out because im in good "shape", healthy etc...

TL;DR
yes i believe that this is cause of hemoptysis

(sorry if my english isnt good, its not my primary languge)

J

Joe2007

I have had this but found it associated with Pulmozyme. I've used azythromycin for years with no side effects. Azythromycin is also supposed to have anti inflammatory effects so this is puzzling.

LeftY

I have had this but found it associated with Pulmozyme. I've used azythromycin for years with no side effects. Azythromycin is also supposed to have anti inflammatory effects so this is puzzling.

how did you solve that?

i did read about something that pulmozyme can cause hemoptysis, but what to take instead of pulmozyme then?

Jellybaby

Hey,
Just thought id share my experience....I kept getting haemoptysis with hypertonic saline so I switched to pulmozyme and have had no problems since, hopefully it stays that way! But apparently hypertonic saline is more of an irritant and haemoptysis is less likely to happen with pulmozyme

DjFunkyFife

Hey lefty, I'm glad that I'm not crazy, and that someone else has had the same experience as me (although I wish we weren't having it at all)

It's amazing how so many different people can have different reactions to the same medicines. I've been taking pulmozyme for years, and hypertonic solution also, with no problems...

I did call my clinic and told them what was happening, they said to stop zithromax. So last Monday was the last time I've taken it, and... no bleeding since then!

To me it means my body chemistry is changing, and reacting differently to meds. It's been happening a bit with my enzymes and antacids over the past year or so... they've needed to be changed too.

What alternatives are there to zithromax? Is there anything else used in place of zithromax to ease inflammation?

J

Joe2007

I agree with the poster who said everyone reacts differently. I stopped using Pulmozyme but I use hypertonic saline with no problem. I am not recommending anyone stop pulmozyme. It was a personal decision I made and I think for me it was the right decision.

LeftY

I agree with the poster who said everyone reacts differently. I stopped using Pulmozyme but I use hypertonic saline with no problem. I am not recommending anyone stop pulmozyme. It was a personal decision I made and I think for me it was the right decision.

do you use 2x times per day hypertonic saline now? if you do, do you feel any differences now and before?