Hi! We're looking forward to answering your questions...

LisaGreene

Hello CysticFibrosis.com community - My name is Lisa Greene and I'm the mom of two children with CF. In fact, I know many of you here! I've been blessed with the opportunity to team up with Foster Cline M.D., a child psychiatrist and co-founder of Love and Logic which is a very well known educator and parenting program that is taught in school systems across the country.

Over the years of raising our two kids with CF, I've had so many questions similar to the ones I see you asking. Dr. Cline helped me answer these questions and many others I hadn't even thought of! The result is our book "Parenting Children with Health Issues." We teach this material at CF clinics and children's hospitals around the country and presented it at the 2009 CF Foundation conference.

The tools you are about to learn are based on years of research in psychology. In fact, there is a growing body of research within the CF and diabetes communities about the impact of parenting responses on the health and happiness of children with medical issues.

It is clear that having good parenting skills matters. And the really good news is that the skills are simple! That's what you'll be learning through this series: practical, effective, easy-to-apply parenting tools that will help make your life easier and your children healthier.

We're looking forward to your questions and getting to know you better.
Happy Parenting!
Lisa and Foster

LisaGreene

Hello CysticFibrosis.com community - My name is Lisa Greene and I'm the mom of two children with CF. In fact, I know many of you here! I've been blessed with the opportunity to team up with Foster Cline M.D., a child psychiatrist and co-founder of Love and Logic which is a very well known educator and parenting program that is taught in school systems across the country.

Over the years of raising our two kids with CF, I've had so many questions similar to the ones I see you asking. Dr. Cline helped me answer these questions and many others I hadn't even thought of! The result is our book "Parenting Children with Health Issues." We teach this material at CF clinics and children's hospitals around the country and presented it at the 2009 CF Foundation conference.

The tools you are about to learn are based on years of research in psychology. In fact, there is a growing body of research within the CF and diabetes communities about the impact of parenting responses on the health and happiness of children with medical issues.

It is clear that having good parenting skills matters. And the really good news is that the skills are simple! That's what you'll be learning through this series: practical, effective, easy-to-apply parenting tools that will help make your life easier and your children healthier.

Happy Parenting!
Lisa and Foster

LisaGreene

Happy Parenting!
Lisa and Foster

LisaGreene

Happy Parenting!
Lisa and Foster

LisaGreene

<br />
<br />Over the years of raising our two kids with CF, I've had so many questions similar to the ones I see you asking. Dr. Cline helped me answer these questions and many others I hadn't even thought of! The result is our book "Parenting Children with Health Issues." We teach this material at CF clinics and children's hospitals around the country and presented it at the 2009 CF Foundation conference.
<br />
<br />The tools you are about to learn are based on years of research in psychology. In fact, there is a growing body of research within the CF and diabetes communities about the impact of parenting responses on the health and happiness of children with medical issues.
<br />
<br />It is clear that having good parenting skills matters. And the really good news is that the skills are simple! That's what you'll be learning through this series: practical, effective, easy-to-apply parenting tools that will help make your life easier and your children healthier.
<br />
<br />We're looking forward to your questions and getting to know you better.
<br />Happy Parenting!
<br />Lisa and Foster

westonsmom

Hi Lisa,

I teach "becoming a love and logic parent" to foster parents through my job. I have your book but haven't had a chance to read it through yet.

westonsmom

Hi Lisa,

I teach "becoming a love and logic parent" to foster parents through my job. I have your book but haven't had a chance to read it through yet.

westonsmom

Hi Lisa,
<br />
<br />I teach "becoming a love and logic parent" to foster parents through my job. I have your book but haven't had a chance to read it through yet.

S

sdelorenzo

I highly recommend Parenting Children with Health Issues to any Cf parent!
It really is a good book that helps discipline your child and offers a plan for their independence.
I need to read it again!
Sharon, mom of Sophia, 8 and Jack, 6 both with Cf, Grant, 15 months no Cf

S

sdelorenzo

It really is a good book that helps discipline your child and offers a plan for their independence.
I need to read it again!
Sharon, mom of Sophia, 8 and Jack, 6 both with Cf, Grant, 15 months no Cf

S

sdelorenzo

<br />It really is a good book that helps discipline your child and offers a plan for their independence.
<br />I need to read it again!
<br />Sharon, mom of Sophia, 8 and Jack, 6 both with Cf, Grant, 15 months no Cf

E

edan

Pseudomonas Risk at the CF Clinic?

Hi Lisa. Thanks for your dedication to this site. I am new to the community, and I have to say that this site is fantastic for getting to know the what's what about CF.

So, onto my latest concern...

My daughter was diagnosed about a month ago because my husband and I happened to be tested (planning on more children). Since we both came up positive we had her tested, although she does not present ANY symptoms (age 3).

She's positive, but at the cf clinic all labs came back normal, including chest xrays in normal range, throat swab with nothing cultured, and pancreatic sufficient.

They have us doing daily 20 minutes CPT and 15 minutes albuterol.

I am really worried about pseudomonas now, particularly worried about contracting them from the CF clinic. Has this ever been a concern for you? I am wondering if we should do her 3 month checkups at her primary care doctor since they have access to all of the labs that our cf clinic does anyway in order to avoid any cross contamination from other cf patients. Do you have thoughts on this?

Thank you!
Edan

E

edan

Hi Lisa. Thanks for your dedication to this site. I am new to the community, and I have to say that this site is fantastic for getting to know the what's what about CF.

So, onto my latest concern...

My daughter was diagnosed about a month ago because my husband and I happened to be tested (planning on more children). Since we both came up positive we had her tested, although she does not present ANY symptoms (age 3).

She's positive, but at the cf clinic all labs came back normal, including chest xrays in normal range, throat swab with nothing cultured, and pancreatic sufficient.

They have us doing daily 20 minutes CPT and 15 minutes albuterol.

I am really worried about pseudomonas now, particularly worried about contracting them from the CF clinic. Has this ever been a concern for you? I am wondering if we should do her 3 month checkups at her primary care doctor since they have access to all of the labs that our cf clinic does anyway in order to avoid any cross contamination from other cf patients. Do you have thoughts on this?

Thank you!
Edan

E

edan

<br />
<br />So, onto my latest concern...
<br />
<br />My daughter was diagnosed about a month ago because my husband and I happened to be tested (planning on more children). Since we both came up positive we had her tested, although she does not present ANY symptoms (age 3).
<br />
<br />She's positive, but at the cf clinic all labs came back normal, including chest xrays in normal range, throat swab with nothing cultured, and pancreatic sufficient.
<br />
<br />They have us doing daily 20 minutes CPT and 15 minutes albuterol.
<br />
<br />I am really worried about pseudomonas now, particularly worried about contracting them from the CF clinic. Has this ever been a concern for you? I am wondering if we should do her 3 month checkups at her primary care doctor since they have access to all of the labs that our cf clinic does anyway in order to avoid any cross contamination from other cf patients. Do you have thoughts on this?
<br />
<br />Thank you!
<br />Edan

LisaGreene

Hi Edan,
First, let me say WELCOME to this site. You are right- it is a wonderful community. That is amazing that your daughter was diagnosed this way and showing no symptoms yet by age three. That is so good!

You ask an excellent question about the psuedomonas. Yes, there is always concern for cross contamination at CF centers. We have always been very careful about hand washing and wearing masks when at the Child Hosp. So we do what we can to be safe. But we have no choice about where to go to see the docs. Since you have a choice, it's something certainly worth considering as long as they have all the same equipment, etc. They might not have the same quality of pulmonary function test (PFT) machine so that would be something to ask about because the PFT's are an important way to measure lung function over the years so you want to get good readings.

The thing is, psuedomonas is everywhere so it's not something that can be really avoided. It's in water and bathrooms and mud. So, my motto has always been to be prudent but not paranoid. So we try to be careful but don't "stop living" out of fear of bugs- a hard balance sometimes when they are little! It does get easier as they get older.

And, just because a child gets psuedomonas doesn't mean that it's the "beginning of the end" which is what I thought when my son first got it at age 2. He is 11 now and doing very well. The psuedomonas doesn't seem to bother him so much- yet anyways. That being said, he is on Tobi on/ off to manage it. And each person is different.

So, I can't really answer your question because I just don't feel good about telling others what to do since I don't know all of the important facts. But, I would certainly consider avoiding the hospital if everything else is equal.

Take good care,
Lisa

LisaGreene

Hi Edan,
First, let me say WELCOME to this site. You are right- it is a wonderful community. That is amazing that your daughter was diagnosed this way and showing no symptoms yet by age three. That is so good!

You ask an excellent question about the psuedomonas. Yes, there is always concern for cross contamination at CF centers. We have always been very careful about hand washing and wearing masks when at the Child Hosp. So we do what we can to be safe. But we have no choice about where to go to see the docs. Since you have a choice, it's something certainly worth considering as long as they have all the same equipment, etc. They might not have the same quality of pulmonary function test (PFT) machine so that would be something to ask about because the PFT's are an important way to measure lung function over the years so you want to get good readings.

The thing is, psuedomonas is everywhere so it's not something that can be really avoided. It's in water and bathrooms and mud. So, my motto has always been to be prudent but not paranoid. So we try to be careful but don't "stop living" out of fear of bugs- a hard balance sometimes when they are little! It does get easier as they get older.

And, just because a child gets psuedomonas doesn't mean that it's the "beginning of the end" which is what I thought when my son first got it at age 2. He is 11 now and doing very well. The psuedomonas doesn't seem to bother him so much- yet anyways. That being said, he is on Tobi on/ off to manage it. And each person is different.

So, I can't really answer your question because I just don't feel good about telling others what to do since I don't know all of the important facts. But, I would certainly consider avoiding the hospital if everything else is equal.

Take good care,
Lisa

LisaGreene

Hi Edan,
<br />First, let me say WELCOME to this site. You are right- it is a wonderful community. That is amazing that your daughter was diagnosed this way and showing no symptoms yet by age three. That is so good!
<br />
<br />You ask an excellent question about the psuedomonas. Yes, there is always concern for cross contamination at CF centers. We have always been very careful about hand washing and wearing masks when at the Child Hosp. So we do what we can to be safe. But we have no choice about where to go to see the docs. Since you have a choice, it's something certainly worth considering as long as they have all the same equipment, etc. They might not have the same quality of pulmonary function test (PFT) machine so that would be something to ask about because the PFT's are an important way to measure lung function over the years so you want to get good readings.
<br />
<br />The thing is, psuedomonas is everywhere so it's not something that can be really avoided. It's in water and bathrooms and mud. So, my motto has always been to be prudent but not paranoid. So we try to be careful but don't "stop living" out of fear of bugs- a hard balance sometimes when they are little! It does get easier as they get older.
<br />
<br />And, just because a child gets psuedomonas doesn't mean that it's the "beginning of the end" which is what I thought when my son first got it at age 2. He is 11 now and doing very well. The psuedomonas doesn't seem to bother him so much- yet anyways. That being said, he is on Tobi on/ off to manage it. And each person is different.
<br />
<br />So, I can't really answer your question because I just don't feel good about telling others what to do since I don't know all of the important facts. But, I would certainly consider avoiding the hospital if everything else is equal.
<br />
<br />Take good care,
<br />Lisa

LisaGreene

Hi Jenn,
I LOVE your picture- you are all so cute. It looks like you are in a beautiful place- on the water somewhere. It's so fun to meet a "fellow L&L facilitator." Isn't it fun to teach? I just love the stories we all get to share with each other over the course of a class.

I'll be teaching a <i>Winning With CF </i>teleclass again in Feb (I do it every year) open to the public and it's structured similarly to Bec a L&L Parent. I play some of the clips from that program in fact. But it is so much more and geared directly to dealing with CF. Dr. Cline joins me often and we have a great time. I hope you can join us then- it would be great to have your input, too.

Feel free to send me a note anytime!
Hugs,
Lisa

LisaGreene

Hi Jenn,
I LOVE your picture- you are all so cute. It looks like you are in a beautiful place- on the water somewhere. It's so fun to meet a "fellow L&L facilitator." Isn't it fun to teach? I just love the stories we all get to share with each other over the course of a class.

I'll be teaching a <i>Winning With CF </i>teleclass again in Feb (I do it every year) open to the public and it's structured similarly to Bec a L&L Parent. I play some of the clips from that program in fact. But it is so much more and geared directly to dealing with CF. Dr. Cline joins me often and we have a great time. I hope you can join us then- it would be great to have your input, too.

Feel free to send me a note anytime!
Hugs,
Lisa

LisaGreene

Hi Jenn,
<br />I LOVE your picture- you are all so cute. It looks like you are in a beautiful place- on the water somewhere. It's so fun to meet a "fellow L&L facilitator." Isn't it fun to teach? I just love the stories we all get to share with each other over the course of a class.
<br />
<br />I'll be teaching a <i>Winning With CF </i>teleclass again in Feb (I do it every year) open to the public and it's structured similarly to Bec a L&L Parent. I play some of the clips from that program in fact. But it is so much more and geared directly to dealing with CF. Dr. Cline joins me often and we have a great time. I hope you can join us then- it would be great to have your input, too.
<br />
<br />Feel free to send me a note anytime!
<br />Hugs,
<br />Lisa