Hide and seek.

Sophiesmum

You know how you can become comfortable with something being there whether you like it or not?

That's sort of how I feel with some of Sophies lung invaders.

I know that sounds utterly ridiculous and I kind of agree sort of, but let me explain.

Sophie has grown Mr P (pseudomonas) since she was about 4 months old and we know how to deal with it. She has daily nebs to keep it calm and IVs every year to proper sedate it. If she becomes unwell and it exacerbates we use oral antibiotics. This works.

I can pretty much tell by sputum colour, amount and changes in Sophs cough as to when it's having a strop and she needs extra treatment.

Over the last year or two, things have changed. She grew MRSA and Mr P pretty much went into hiding. Our new nemesis became MRSA and we threw everything we possibly could at getting it eradicated.

The purpose of the bronchoscopy was to compare to the last and to also get some nice deep samples of secretions to culture. A big deal really as this was to give us the answer we needed.

Have we eradicated MRSA?

Sophies consultant told us Sophies lungs looked great, no inflammation or signs of infection. There were some secretions as expected (she does have CF after all) but they were pleased. He also saw the narrowing on her right side from her TOF surgery and he said that looked okay too.

Home IVs were started and we were sent away to wait for phone calls as stuff was cultured.

We now have the results.

The only thing that has grown from all of her sputum cultures is Strep A again.

Nothing else.

I should be celebrating but it's left me wildly confused.

Over the moon MRSA hasn't shown up and there is a glimmer we eradicated it with the onslaught earlier this year, but where on earth is Mr P?

I don't for one minute believe it has gone. The theory we are working on is that her current regime is suppressing it so well it's dormant.

I guess time will tell. She hasn't cultured pseudo for over a year now.

We are to plod on with these IVs and they've added in some oral antibiotics to try and kill off the strep A.

It's just news we haven't really heard before and it's left me speechless for now. Possibly a new chapter, who knows but I'll definitely take it.

http://lungsbehavingbadly.blogspot.co.uk/2014/11/hide-and-seek.html?m=1