Home oxygen concentrator- SO LOUD!

Jane

Digital opinion leader
Wow, Jesse just got a new 10L concentrator from our home care company and it is so loud! We had to put the beast in the living room so he could sleep! It is the Invicare Platinum 10.
Does anyone have a quieter one that they can recommend?

Liza

Those are the most common non portable type for daily home use. The other options, I believe are tanks that require filling but depending on how much O2 he's on, you're going to have numerous tanks, big ones too. You might ask about liquid O2 and if it's a feasible option for his needs. We did exactly what you did. When my daughter was here at home, we put the concentrator in the hallway. When she was in her own apartment at school, we put it in the closet with the door ajar to provide airflow. When we relocated to CA for transplant, we used the really super long tubing and put it in the other bedroom with the door shut. BTW, you get used to it but first you have to get past the anger of having to be on O2, if he has any, my daughter did... well perhaps frustration is a better word or both. We used liquid O2 for portable oxygen when her needs exceeded the portable concentrator we had purchased her. She had an Eclipse for a short while but it wasn't small enough for her, she didn't like pulling anything around and the liquid oxygen was in a much smaller carry case. Keep in mind you can not take liquid O2 on an airplane, if you travel. I hope some of this is of some help.

Jane

Digital opinion leader
Thanks Liza! Yes that is helpful. I want to look into liquid O2. Our home therapy doesn't carry it.

Yes, he is not used to having the oxygen all the time. Both anger and frustration, as you said.

Liza

It's been almost a month since I was last on here, how are things going with the O2 for your son? Were you able to find a place that supplies liquid O2. Trying to think of the company we used.... Apria, I believe is the name of the supplier we used for O2, liquid too. I would think that your son's CF nurse or social worker would know of a few places that supply it, then you could check if they take your insurance. Apparently, some people will have those big tanks in their house somewhere then tube off of that. I'd personally be a little scared of that, but that's probably just me. I was super nervous just filling (charging) the small portable tank from the big tank. We had it in the garage. But I got used to it. I hope he's adjusted to it and you were able to get something more quiet.

W

windex125

I also have a concentrator been on O2 for 6yrs now 3 liters at bedtime or when nec. during the day. I also keep it in the other room as it was too loud. My husband ran the tubing though the bottom molding of the LR to the bedroom and it was such a good idea. I basically have one functioning lung the other has been colasped for yrs now. It'shard to adjust to mentally more than anything. Good Luck Pat-CF/59

athletixbc

When I had my concentrator, I had it in the living room of my apartment as it was the most central place to put it. It's best to put in in a location where your son can access the whole house with the shortest length of tubing possible. Yes, the machine does seem noisy at first, but it won't be long before it just becomes normal background noise and it won't bother anyone very much anymore. I don't know what your floor is like, but it definitely helps if you can put a pad under the machine if it's not already on carpet. As for the tubing, after about a month on the oxygen he'll forget that he's even got it on most of the time.