homeopathic remedies?

L

lrs2015

Has anyone used homeopathic remedies to treat their cf. I understand that everyone is different and it affects everyone differently. I'm a parent of a 1yr old with cf. I've read online about oils you can put on help boost your immune system. Lemon grass, cinnamon, garlic, ethuichia (spelled wrong I know) and tumeric? Give me anything you got community.I just want to know as much as I can. Thanks!

wcherri

Using EOs Safely

Hello,
I recently started looking into essential oils (eos) as well. My main recommendation is to research how to use them safely. There are several quality brands who sell eos; however, they do not always provide safe recommendations. There are many eos that are not considered safe for your young one.

In case you're interested, there is a FB group that I follow called "using essential oils safely".

jaimers

Super Moderator
Check out the Alternative Medicine forum on here as well. You should find lots of info on alternative options people have tried. There is also a Facebook group called DearCF and its a lot of info on treating CF holistically so many discussions on alternative treatments.

J

jamest

If there were homeopathic remedies that existed to successfully treat CF, the average lifespan back in the 40s (when CF was officially classified) wouldn't have been pre-school age. The reason lifespan has expanded to 37+ is because of advancements in medical science. I've seen a lot of snake oil peddled in my time, don't buy it.

Each person's body does have unique chemistry, so it is fine to supplement the actual, working medication with whatever you want to try out. But always run it by your doctor to ensure there aren't any interactions with the real drugs your child is taking. The actual legitimate treatment is the really important part, don't try to replace those with snake oil.

anien2

Do you know whats the name they give to any Alternative Medicine medication when it is scientificaly proved that it works?? Medication.

L

lrs2015

Ya I think the term is called homeopathic. Natural remedies you know.I believe that's ehat they call it anyway

T

temple

I have used Homoepathic remedies extensively over the last 15 years with my son who has CF and it is very useful. The youunger you start the better as it will consideraby reduce your reliance on conventional antibiotics and medications. You will however need a very experienced homoeopath and persistance - you are looking at life long use of remedies - not a quick fix. Stick with it.

QUOTE=lrs2015;1034750]Has anyone used homeopathic remedies to treat their cf. I understand that everyone is different and it affects everyone differently. I'm a parent of a 1yr old with cf. I've read online about oils you can put on help boost your immune system. Lemon grass, cinnamon, garlic, ethuichia (spelled wrong I know) and tumeric? Give me anything you got community.I just want to know as much as I can. Thanks![/QUOTE]

ethan508

I spend so much time, money, and effort inhaling, imbibing, and understanding the cadre of treatments with scientific backing that I'm not sure I have the resources left to try things unproven. If I ever dedicate even more time/money to the management of this disease it is going to be in the form of exercise (personal trainer, gym equipment, and more time at the track). But for now, this disease is already taking enough.

I'm of the opinion that if a homeopathic medicine showed great promise our clinics would start looking at in a serious manner. That being said, it seems like some people really enjoy oils. Just be sure to be safe and never nebulize them (it can cause lipoid pneumonia).

Kirio

Just a quick clarification so that your doctors will know for sure what you're asking about:

Homeopathy is a specific reference to treatments using what they call "the memory of water". The idea being that water remembers what has been in it and you can safely use the healing powers in, for example - snake venom. The amount of snake venom in a homeopathic treatment would equate to literally less than a drop in the ocean.

What most people really mean when they say homeopathic is holistic - treating the whole person to make them healthier, not just the disease.

And I have seen people argue that it is the type of oil that causes lipoid pneumonia, but that's not true; it's the fat in any oil. You should never inhale oils.

Hi,
My daughter is 8 months old and I give her homeopathic remedies to keep her healthy, etc. My sister is a homeopath, I recommend you go see one. My daughter has a specific remedy, when she is showing signs of getting sick or extreme moodiness I give her one. The goal is to keep her healthy and happy! (Even if she did not have CF I would give her homeopathic remedies to keep her healthy. For teething I give her chamomilla which you can order off amazon, helps her soooo much! http://bit.ly/1RVexab My CF doctor is aware of the remedies I am giving her.

L

lrs2015

Have you given her garlic? What things have you tried and that has worked. My lil one is about a yr. We've had total miss so far with weight. Overall though been a happy healthy baby. So funny she is. Have you given her anything to boost her appitite? I'm searching for any and all ideas. Things to consider ya kniw. Mine has a dd508 mutation. Still no cough present.oxygen levels still reading 100% I read somewhere on average 2% is lost each year. So I just want that level to keep riding out. But what have you tried. I'd love to hear your story and your perspective.

Melissa75

Administrator
Have you given her garlic? What things have you tried and that has worked. My lil one is about a yr. We've had total miss so far with weight. Overall though been a happy healthy baby. So funny she is. Have you given her anything to boost her appitite? I'm searching for any and all ideas. Things to consider ya kniw. Mine has a dd508 mutation. Still no cough present.oxygen levels still reading 100% I read somewhere on average 2% is lost each year. So I just want that level to keep riding out. But what have you tried. I'd love to hear your story and your perspective.

I'm the one with the lung infections, but I have a mission with my family to eat food as if it were medicine. I cook with a lot of garlic, onion, oregano, basil, thyme, rosemary, turmeric, chili powder, cayenne pepper, ginger (fresh and powder), lemon/lime. I make a lot of fish, and we eat salads with dark vitamin-rich greens like parsley and dandelion. We eat beets and sweet potatoes, beans and lentils, nuts and healthy oils/fats. Much of what I listed above has ADEK vitamins and is considered anti-inflammatory. We also eat chocolate and treats, too. Sometimes fast food even. I have a lot of hot sauces -- sriracha, cholula, chili garlic, sweet chili, pickled mango. Each of my kids doesn't like everything that I've listed (e.g. the fish and beet lover doesn't like beans and lentils, the cabbage and cauliflower guy won't eat most fruit...etc.). But the big exposure has made them overall healthy eaters, and the love of spicy food probably started in utero. haha

(I think you mean FEV1 when you wrote of oxygen level. That is the primary measure doctors use for lung function, and it tends to drop over time.)

L

lrs2015

The only thing I'm currently giving her that is along these lines is garlic. Do you give your lil one garlic?

D

Dank

@Melissa75 My GF would agree with you regarding food = medicine. She started juicing a week or two ago and between that and smoothies, we've been eating more healthier than normal, which to say is even more healthier than most people. Food is very important as it will either give you energy or steal what energy you have.

First I think most people see some of the herbal remedies as an alternative to medication, and I'm not sure we can easily accept that or dismiss them. I think each person should take themselves to be an individual, discover what issues you may have with vitamins and what symptoms you have most, and see what others may be doing for that particular symptom. Science has a way of trumping all opinions, and unfortunately some of the science isn't always exact. As scientists have to treat a large amount of people with varying variables that are generally out of their hands, they have to try to assist as many as possible in a particular way (like Kalydeco). Some of the herbal remedies that have surfaced have proved to be very useful (see the Curcumin results, and then go research the folks in Europe who have had wildly great success with it), so we should not easily dismiss. You are forgetting a key, that they did not have in the 40s, and that is the internet, the freedom of sharing information with others to see what works and doesn't. Back then science was behind but also was the ability to communicate vastly with the entire world. I think people overlook this, and they want to stick to the doctors recommendations instead. I think it's very important to listen to your doctors, as they are the experts, but also do your own research and find what works best for you! If that includes lots of anti-inflammatory items, herbs, oils, etc, that is for you to decide what you want to buy into and attempt to make yourself better. The natural health section of the forums has a lot of information, and there is a particular forum member who has gone above and beyond to provide her experience and research with varying herbs in an attempt to overcome her illness as well.

http://cfnaturalhealth.weebly.com/

I have pancreas issues as a rare-commodity of a CF'r, mine mostly works. That being said there are times when it overworks, so I've been trying a few things when the pancreas flares up to see if I can control it better (such as coconut water, chewable papaya enzymes with chlorophyll, liquid chlorophyll, various types of smoothies and juice, etc) - and trying to figure out what is best to eat/drink during that week afterwards to get myself back on track sooner with more energy. I'm still working out this formula but i think each person is very individual and it'll take a lot of research and understanding of what you are putting in your body to figure out what works best for you!

Good luck on your search, I think science has come a long way and we will see promising drugs that target genetics in the near future - but I also think diet is immensely important as well as happiness.

Breathe easy folks!

occupyjapan

Homeopathy literally doesn't work. Literally. Objectively. This is not my subjective opinion. If you think homeopathy works, it's because you don't understand what homeopathy is.

How it "works" is that supposedly water has "memory" - it doesn't, btw - and if you dilute things that cause a disease enough times, it somehow draws that disease out of you if you take the water. Do you know what's in homeopathic sleeping pills? DILUTED CAFFEINE. And I mean REALLY dilute. Take a volume of water the size of the solar system and put a single atom of the original material in it. That's how dilute. Needless to say, none of the original material exists in homeopathic preparations.

If you've tried a homeopathic drug and it "worked", please familiarize yourself with the placebo effect. Thanks in advance.