Homeschooling: Original Sin versus Environment...Now I know!

Aboveallislove

Super Moderator
So I homeschool, DS who is 6. He had his weekly spelling test this am and I suggested during his morning homework period he might want to review his words he said no, he didn't need to. I got everything ready and then had to do something in the kitchen and said you can take another look at the words if you want. When I got back and started he "fessed up" and pulled out the cheat sheet he had made and stuck in his desk. He flunked the test so I helped him practice learning and writing the errors and then as I was getting ready to "retake" select words, I saw him writing them in pencil on his desktop. So I guess there is no need to "learn" how to cheat in school...it's inherent!

Gammaw

Super Moderator
All kids learn shortcuts to get what they want. They don't have to be taught to do the wrong things. They all have to be taught to do the right things. My then 7 year old forged her reading sheet and my signature to get a prize at school! I never would have thought!!!!! But she did. They all try it. Let the parenting begin....! Relax and enjoy!!! You might as well...

triples15

Super Moderator
So I homeschool, DS who is 6. He had his weekly spelling test this am and I suggested during his morning homework period he might want to review his words he said no, he didn't need to. I got everything ready and then had to do something in the kitchen and said you can take another look at the words if you want. When I got back and started he "fessed up" and pulled out the cheat sheet he had made and stuck in his desk. He flunked the test so I helped him practice learning and writing the errors and then as I was getting ready to "retake" select words, I saw him writing them in pencil on his desktop. So I guess there is no need to "learn" how to cheat in school...it's inherent!

Ohh boy! ;) They keep us on our toes don't they??!

Mine proves the nature/nurture debate everyday, and let me tell you, the answer is NATURE!! :)

Helenlight

He "fessed up"! There's a lot to be said for that. People only cheat if they are not inspired, I wonder if there is a way to make spelling more fun or memorable? Or to combine it with something he's interested in to give him more motivation to practice? He's only 6 after all :)

Aboveallislove

Super Moderator
He "fessed up"! There's a lot to be said for that. People only cheat if they are not inspired, I wonder if there is a way to make spelling more fun or memorable? Or to combine it with something he's interested in to give him more motivation to practice? He's only 6 after all :)

well...his fessing up included "next time I shouldn't show mom!" But I agree re making it fun...we do practice sentences which all include something to do wth angry birds or bad piggies...his stuffed animals take turns being teacher...and I he.p with ideas on how to remember...I was afraid to paint the sail because it might rain....to remind him of the long a sounds made with ai from his list..as opposed to a-e....but yes...need to remember he's six as I use to teach undergrads and now grad students...although I'd venture to say he reminds me of a handful of my undergrads in work ethics and "creative" problem solving!