hospital indemnity policy...

anonymous

Sorry, that was me above. Anyway, just wondering if anyone w/ CF has this type of policy. What can you tell me about these policies. How/where can I get one.
thanks
jd

anonymous

Sorry, that was me above. Anyway, just wondering if anyone w/ CF has this type of policy. What can you tell me about these policies. How/where can I get one.
thanks
jd

Faust

Bunch of companies have them, and if you have 3 or more of them, you could take in 11,000 bucks for a two week stay in the hospital. I used to have 3 of them, and if I went in twice a year, i'd have fun money out the a*s.

I currently only have united american. If you wanted to, you could have like 9 or 10 of them (as long as you could pay the premiums), and then if you went into the hospital, you would take in a boatload of money.

Faust

Bunch of companies have them, and if you have 3 or more of them, you could take in 11,000 bucks for a two week stay in the hospital. I used to have 3 of them, and if I went in twice a year, i'd have fun money out the a*s.

I currently only have united american. If you wanted to, you could have like 9 or 10 of them (as long as you could pay the premiums), and then if you went into the hospital, you would take in a boatload of money.

Faust

FYI my last hospitalization for 10 days, I took in close to 3000 bucks. Gonna help me get intralase eye surgery.

Faust

FYI my last hospitalization for 10 days, I took in close to 3000 bucks. Gonna help me get intralase eye surgery.

CowTown

Sean, so you didn't have this kind of restraint, see below? I think different restrictions apply depending on what state you're in?

"Benefits are not payable for ...or pre-existing conditions. Pre-existing conditions are defined as those which have been diagnosed or which required advice or treatment within the 12 months prior to the effective date of coverage."

CowTown

Sean, so you didn't have this kind of restraint, see below? I think different restrictions apply depending on what state you're in?

"Benefits are not payable for ...or pre-existing conditions. Pre-existing conditions are defined as those which have been diagnosed or which required advice or treatment within the 12 months prior to the effective date of coverage."

2005CFmom

Super Moderator
We are looking into getting one and had the same question about pre-existing conditions. The rep. is supposed to get back to my husband about this because he was not sure of the answer. When we find out, I'll post here.

2005CFmom

Super Moderator
We are looking into getting one and had the same question about pre-existing conditions. The rep. is supposed to get back to my husband about this because he was not sure of the answer. When we find out, I'll post here.

Faust

There were no restrictions towards pre-existing conditions on any of the policies I had. I had united american, physicians mutual, aflac, and maybe one other. Triple A has one also. The only requirements I had to deal with were that I had to go for a year of paying the premiums for them before I was eligible to claim any benefits on them. It's a pain, but it's worth it, especially if you go into the hospital twice a year. They all pay differently, but equal out in the end.

It's a nice way to take the sting out of a hospital stay.

Faust

There were no restrictions towards pre-existing conditions on any of the policies I had. I had united american, physicians mutual, aflac, and maybe one other. Triple A has one also. The only requirements I had to deal with were that I had to go for a year of paying the premiums for them before I was eligible to claim any benefits on them. It's a pain, but it's worth it, especially if you go into the hospital twice a year. They all pay differently, but equal out in the end.

It's a nice way to take the sting out of a hospital stay.

CowTown

If you don't mind me asking, how much typically would you pay (the range anyways) for one company's coverage? Usually to get around pre-existing conditions, they charge you up the rear! Wondering if these companies that you mentioned are nice and charge a reasonable price so that the $3,000 you get back doesn't just cover your monthly insurance fees. They would obviously have to charge you much less than $250/month for it to be worth it, especially if you pay upfront for one year before you start to see the payback. Wondering how you're actually doing it. Thanks!

CowTown

If you don't mind me asking, how much typically would you pay (the range anyways) for one company's coverage? Usually to get around pre-existing conditions, they charge you up the rear! Wondering if these companies that you mentioned are nice and charge a reasonable price so that the $3,000 you get back doesn't just cover your monthly insurance fees. They would obviously have to charge you much less than $250/month for it to be worth it, especially if you pay upfront for one year before you start to see the payback. Wondering how you're actually doing it. Thanks!

Faust

I think my united american monthly payment is less than 50 bucks. All of them were around that range.

Faust

I think my united american monthly payment is less than 50 bucks. All of them were around that range.

JazzysMom

I have a policy with Combined Life. I currently pay $18./mo. It started at $15./mo & goes up about .75 a year, but the benefits increase also. I did have a year waiting period on it for pre existing conditions which I expected. After being very sick in 2000 & having to quit work I figured I better apply for it & get the waiting period over with. Since 2002 I have collected over $5,000.00 from different admissions. I want to increase the coverage from $50./day to $100./day for hospital stays and then it allows 4 times the number of hospital days at home. So if I am in the hospital for 4 weeks, I can get that plus 16 weeks (4 hospital weeks times 4) ast home. However; that difference in the premium stops me. I would get it back easily, but that amount can make a big difference some months.

JazzysMom

I have a policy with Combined Life. I currently pay $18./mo. It started at $15./mo & goes up about .75 a year, but the benefits increase also. I did have a year waiting period on it for pre existing conditions which I expected. After being very sick in 2000 & having to quit work I figured I better apply for it & get the waiting period over with. Since 2002 I have collected over $5,000.00 from different admissions. I want to increase the coverage from $50./day to $100./day for hospital stays and then it allows 4 times the number of hospital days at home. So if I am in the hospital for 4 weeks, I can get that plus 16 weeks (4 hospital weeks times 4) ast home. However; that difference in the premium stops me. I would get it back easily, but that amount can make a big difference some months.

mustangmousa

I have 4 or 5 indemnity policies through Mutual of Omaha and Physicians Mutual. Most of them did have pre-existing condition clauses on them that consisted of a waiting period of a year of so before benefits could be paid out to me for hospital stays. I've had them for so many years, I'm afraid to get rid of them since I figure it will be hard to get more. I don't go into the hospital much anymore, just do IV's at home, but I'm waiting for a tx, so I figure they'll be put to use soon. The premiums range from $220 - $350 a year each and pay out between $50 -$150 a day while I'm an inpatient in the hospital, so they can be pretty lucrative if you have frequent hospital stays of a week or more. I'm thinking I might drop some of them after tx, the premiums can really add up if you aren't being hospitalized alot. They are nice to have though, not only for some fun money, but to help with hospital bills.

mustangmousa

I have 4 or 5 indemnity policies through Mutual of Omaha and Physicians Mutual. Most of them did have pre-existing condition clauses on them that consisted of a waiting period of a year of so before benefits could be paid out to me for hospital stays. I've had them for so many years, I'm afraid to get rid of them since I figure it will be hard to get more. I don't go into the hospital much anymore, just do IV's at home, but I'm waiting for a tx, so I figure they'll be put to use soon. The premiums range from $220 - $350 a year each and pay out between $50 -$150 a day while I'm an inpatient in the hospital, so they can be pretty lucrative if you have frequent hospital stays of a week or more. I'm thinking I might drop some of them after tx, the premiums can really add up if you aren't being hospitalized alot. They are nice to have though, not only for some fun money, but to help with hospital bills.