Hospital IV's vs. home I'V's

emmalou1610

Hey all, I am just wondering your experience with home IV's vs. hospital IV's. I have been on a couple of courses of home IV's the last few months and they just don't seem to be working so well anymore. I am still pretty symptomatic by the time I finish them, especially with pleurisy pain that will not back off. I understand that's the whole point of CF that it progresses but aaargh!! The stupid pleurisy hangs around basically all the time, even when I have hardly any other symptoms of infection.

Anyhow, I am wondering if any of you have ever been told by CF team that being admitted into hospital for a course of IV's is more effective, beneficial etc. than home IV's?

I would appreciate your input as I may consider hospital admission this time around.

Thank you!:D

Liza

My daughters would only do home IV for the times when the convenience was needed, like classes or something special coming up. Otherwise they felt they got a better result when being in hospital. Really good CPT 4xday was one of their big reasons. My oldest did home IV once in her senior yr of high school, then in college and my youngest didn't do her first til she was in college. She's now married and still prefers a hospital regimen but has done home IV for convenience when hospitalization is going to interfere with something important coming up like a home coming or anniversary. As a parent, I think a hospitalization many times will get a better result depending on how bad the exacerbation is. Like when she was being admitted but didn't really feel badly, it was more of the numbers going down with little to no improvement with oral antibiotics. Now, their docs have said they prefer in hospital because they can follow them more closely, seeing them every day. They've said, "a rest for the folks" and they get treatments 4 x day. I was like, "yea right, it's more work Doc." hahaha!

You may need a change in antibiotics if there's not much improvement. My daughter asked for a change up and it did wonders for her. She'd been going in every two-three months.

Good luck in your decision. Sometimes a change is what you need.

AttyMom

I'm on home IVs now and my dr. said that but for it being flu season, he'd admit me to the hospital. He and I agree that while I don't get a ton of rest in the hospital, I do not do as much and do not have anyone expecting anything from me.

baseballfrank

It is my experience that if you are only getting IV meds in the hospital than doing it at home is much better. The comfort of home, the better food, the better sleep, the less stress are all factors. I don't ever go to the hospital unless they want to do some extensive tests or some treatments that can't be done at home. I also feel that hospitals are full of infection and I am much safer at home. All of this is assuming you are comfortable with managing your PICC line and administering your meds yourself. Of course you have to pay attention to cleanliness and sterilization methods.

keefer11

It really depends on the person. Personally, I HATE hospital stays. I don't get sleep because they wake you up all the time(if I don't get enough sleep I don't get better and it is impossible to get enough sleep in the hospital), I can't exercise, there's germs galore in a hospital, and they manage all your medications which makes me crazy(my insulin, pills, etc, and they don't give them to you at the correct times). I also can't just sit idly in a hospital room and doing so makes me depressed. Also, hospital food is not good. As you can see, I haven't had a good experience with hospital stays and have found that I don't feel better until I'm out of the hospital. BUT if you are feeling really terrible a hospital stay may be a good thing. If you aren't super on top of your IV's and chest PT a hospital stay will force you to do it all at the exact times and you may get better faster.
I prefer home IV's 100% but I'm also super ANAL retentive about giving myself meds at exactly the correct intervals and if I need to I can stay at my parents house and have my dad do any IV's that are early in the morning so I can keep sleeping and don't have to focus on administering the medication. I can exercise which is super important for my airway clearance and feeling good mentally and physically. I also can still work while on IV's which is somewhat essential for my job - even though I'm tired and out of it. I also just trust myself more than some nurses as I've had some weird experiences.

Good luck and I'm sure there is no harm in trying a hospital stay to see if it helps! Everyone is different and it may work for you!

emmalou1610

Thanks you guys I appreciate your input!

I am still in 2 minds however I am finished orals on Thurs so have follow up & pfts then.

If doc recommends a hospital stay I may do it! Thanks again :)